Profile for Mariana > Reviews

Content by Mariana

Mariana (West Country, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Pocket Posh Tips for Knitters
Pocket Posh Tips for Knitters
by Jayne Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 30 Jan. 2013
This little book isn't quite what I was expecting but is nevertheless a nice thing to own. I have read it from cover to cover and picked up a couple of good tips. However, some of the Americanisms are a little confusing. It is nicely produced and very pretty to look at with a fabric elastic band to keep the book nicely closed. I love the fair-isle design on the cover, so much so that I have painstakingly copied it out on to graph paper to use in the future!

Hemline Bobbin Case Universal/Class 15k
Hemline Bobbin Case Universal/Class 15k
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 30 Jan. 2013
I bought this because I wanted a spare so I could alter the tension and not worry that I might not be able to return it to the precise original for my personal sewing machine. It fits my Bernina perfectly and I can now venture into more advanced machine embroidery than was previously possible. It seems well made and there are no sharp edges....I can't see any difference between it and the one in my expensive machine. I haven't used it yet but will be doing so in the near future. Glad I found it while browsing. Recommended.

UNISEX GREY PERUVIAN WINTER HAT MULTI COLOURED RETRO DESIGN
UNISEX GREY PERUVIAN WINTER HAT MULTI COLOURED RETRO DESIGN

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and warm but have I the courage to wear it!!, 30 Jan. 2013
I ordered this hat in a fit of enthusiasm when the snow was thick on the ground but it arrived when rain had washed it all away! However, it's a nice hat, a little darker than I expected and I'm, still trying to work out what the colourful design is. It's well made, very warm and is lined with soft black fleece fabric and has grey plaited ties on each side. However, I'm wondering whether I in my seventies have enough courage to wear it! I suppose when the snow is thick it doesn't really matter what I look like as long as I'm warm! I do love it though.

Bunting (Twenty to Make)
Bunting (Twenty to Make)
by Kate Haxell

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little book, 30 Jan. 2013
I saw this book in John Lewis some time last year and bought it on a whim but am so glad I did. Some reviewers have said it is very basic....are we looking at the same book I wonder? Bunting is bunting.....it's how you make it and what you do with it that makes the difference. It can be as plain or pretty as you like, decorated with ribbon, lace, beads etc or left plain and maybe sophisticated and it can be any size you like. It seems that anything goes and there are many variations of the basic pennant shape in the book. I am just about to make some small bunting for my little grand daughter's newly decorated very pink bedroom and have great plans to decorate it with letters to spell out her name as well as lace motifs etc. Kate Haxell has produced a little book that doesn't just assume everyone can sew to professional standards....she gives concise instructions for producing the shapes and the photographs do them all justice. This is one book in a whole series of similar books and I have quite a collection, some better than others I have to say. I thoroughly recommend this book and thank Kate for producing it. After the Jubilee and Olympics last year bunting has become all the rage.

Update on 15th March 2013.....The 24 feet of mini bunting produced for my grand daughter's bedroom was very well received and looks lovely draped across the beams and a shelf unit on the wall. She loves it! I am now thinking of making some for the unit which goes at the sides and over my own bed!

Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts
Sew Jelly Roll Quilts & Gifts
by Carolyn Forster

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and modern designs, 23 Jan. 2013
What can I say except "wow"? This is a beautiful book and I'm so pleased I ordered it. The quilts and little extras are fantastic and when I get to the end of my current list of things to make I'll be delving into this book. It arrived within three days of ordering and I must compliment DPD for their excellent delivery service....I even had an e.mail early this morning giving me a time slot for delivery and it arrived within 5 minutes of this, despite the fact it is snowing at the moment. I have often looked at jelly rolls but didn't think I could justify buying one when I have so much fabric in my stash. However, once I realised just how much total fabric there is in one it doesn't work out too expensive. The colour ways used in this book are lovely - bright and modern - and the designs are fresh and easy to make. I hope the author gets to read the reviews of her gorgeous book. I thoroughly recommend it.

1 x Pack of Novelty Craft Buttons, What's Under The Hood, Dress it up, for Sewing, Scrapbooking, Embelishments, Crafts, Knitting,
Offered by The Bead and Button Company

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 19 Jan. 2013
I've already reviewed these buttons once but here goes again. I'm afraid I'm disappointed as they have faces on them which weren't really apparent from the little picture when I ordered them. They are not suitable for what I wanted but my little grand daughter is delighted to add them to her collection!

Double Walled Travel Ceramic Mug with Silicone Lid - Keep Calm and Drink Tea design
Offered by UniStore

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 16 Jan. 2013
When this arrived I was initially very excited and was looking forward to using it on a long journey on four buses. However, [a] it leaked badly even though it was upright all the time and was inside a plastic bag, and [b] the tea was almost cold just twenty minutes into the journey.....and yes, I poured boiling water into it before I filled it with tea. One plus point is that the silicone lid fitted well so I'm at a loss to work out how and why it leaked. I thought a ceramic mug might be better than a metal one especially as it could go in the dishwasher but I'm afraid I have wasted my money. At the moment I'm using it as a vase to hold a bunch of daffodils! I've now bought a Thermos mug from a supermarket and it is much better. I'm sorry to be so negative.

Quilt a Gift for Christmas: More than 20 beautiful projects to stitch with love
Quilt a Gift for Christmas: More than 20 beautiful projects to stitch with love
by Barrie Sue Gaudet

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Christmas Things, 12 Jan. 2013
Bought this book for myself, hoping to make some of the things before last Christmas. However, I was a tad over optimistic and didn't make anything at all....hoping to do so for Christmas 2013! There some very pretty and useful items to make and none of them are too difficult. I particularly like the embroidered items. The book is well presented and the instructions are comprehensive and easy to understand. Thoroughly recommended.

Tetris Fridge Magnets
Tetris Fridge Magnets

4.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating!, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Tetris Fridge Magnets (Toy)
I bought this for my fridge and have a go with it from time to time. It reminds me of the only game I had on my Gameboy many years ago. It is frustrating that I can't seem to make a complete rectangle but it's fun anyway.

Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Wooden Princess Wand
Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Wooden Princess Wand

4.0 out of 5 stars Magic Wand, 12 Jan. 2013
This was part of my 4 year old grand daughter's Christmas present. She loved it and had great fun decorating it. It's pretty and the and "jewels" stuck really well. It is sturdily made and I don't think it will fall to pieces any time soon. I don't think it really has an educational value but is just right for an imaginative little girl who loves fairies and princesses!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9