Profile for Anika > Reviews

Knitting the Perfect Fit
by Melissa Leapman
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading title?, 28 Jan 2014
This book has a range of patterns that compliment different female body shapes, and shows different ways in which to shape the garment through making the decrease/increase a feature of the design.
It does NOT tell you how to modify a given pattern to suit your specific body measurements. I guess this is what I was hoping for - some helpful hints and tips on top of the maths, given the title!
Also note that all yarns the patterns are based on are US, not UK, so you will have to modify them or your tester to fit UK available yarns.

Engel Children's 100% Organic Merino Wool Vest Long-Sleeve
Engel Children's 100% Organic Merino Wool Vest Long-Sleeve
Price: 14.92 - 22.49

3.0 out of 5 stars not that soft, 16 Dec 2012
These vests are not as soft as I expected, and the label inside the garment just states 'organic wool', not merino wool, although from the packaging small print one might infer that Engel wool garments are made of merino wool. Confusing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2012 11:07 AM GMT

Coleman Fold N Go 2 Burner Propane Stove - Red
Coleman Fold N Go 2 Burner Propane Stove - Red
Price: 56.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Great cooker if you can get hold of any gas bottles, 6 Aug 2012
This is a fabulous cooker, despite lack of windshield but you can get good efficiency if you make your own with some aluminium foil.

I would give this 5 stars if I could actually get hold of the special gas cartridges it relies on. We have had this cooker for 3 years now, and this year I have so far not been able to get hold of any replacement cartridges at all and our camping holiday is imminent (started looking in January, and now it's August!!). It looks like we will have to buy a differet cooker with more readily available cartridges.

Lack of availability of the required Coleman propane cartridges renders this lovely cooker completely useless - hence 2 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 9:40 PM BST

Desperate Remedies
Desperate Remedies

5.0 out of 5 stars A different Hardy, 10 Mar 2012
Having read several of Hardy's other well known books, I was surprised by this one - more of a whodunnit. Fabulous. I believe this was his first book.

Little Rabbit Foo Foo
Little Rabbit Foo Foo
by Michael Rosen
Price: 4.79

1.0 out of 5 stars simply disappointing, 29 Aug 2010
This review is from: Little Rabbit Foo Foo (Paperback)
A friend of mine recommended Michael Rosen's books to me, and as my daughter likes rabbits I chose this one. I agree that the drawings are great. The story however seems pointless and unwitty. Compared to the many witty, beautifully written children's books with clever stories and surprising outcomes out there, I wish I had not bothered with this one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2014 6:04 PM BST

Nigella Lawson Living Kitchen Melamine Measuring Spoons Black
Nigella Lawson Living Kitchen Melamine Measuring Spoons Black
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish kitchen fun at low cost, 14 Mar 2010
The spoons are brilliant, much lighter than the steel version and I find them easier to use (having lived with the steel ones for a while before). They get used all the time and look great, and I guess they will last forever. I love them.

Recycled Plastic Toy Oven and Accessories (Colour Varies)
Recycled Plastic Toy Oven and Accessories (Colour Varies)

4.0 out of 5 stars Environmentally friendly cooking, 14 Mar 2010
My daughter seems to get a lot out of this toy although unlike other cookers of this type all the four buttons in the front come up with the same radiostatic sound. The two 'hobs' have a small button that activates the sound when a pan is put onto the hob. The dials make the hobs glow red, and there is also a red light in the oven. Comes with a pan and pot as well as two bowls, plates and a set of cutlery and what I assume is a basket for chip frying. The oven has two removables trays. You will need 3 AA batteries, they are not included. I could not decide on a rating very well; my daughter seems to love it and is busy making all sorts of make-believe things. The fact that 95% of it is made from recycled plastic is great.

Breaking Through The Untouchable Diseases
Breaking Through The Untouchable Diseases
by Gerald Green
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for anyone with an auto immune disease, 5 Jun 2009
Having an auto immune disease myself, I felt this was finally the answer I had been looking for - a treatment for the cause, not the effect. Gerald Green's enthusiasm for his profession shine through on every page in this book and his motivation to help those people who are ill with diseases such as auto immune ones and cancer is evident. The book explains why conventional treatment eventually fails, and how to use his alternative approach to regain control. This book made 100% sense to me. It has given me hope that a normal life is possible again if the treatment is closely followed - not only by taking herbal medications, but also by sticking to a very strict diet. Not for the faint hearted! And if you want to try it for yourself and need more information, Gerald Green is still practising today and as I have found out is only too happy to advise - his address is at the end of the book. A lot of people I know will have this book waved at them.

Prestige Urban Stove Top Kettle, Apple Green, 1.9 Litre
Prestige Urban Stove Top Kettle, Apple Green, 1.9 Litre

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but I wouldn't buy it again, 18 Feb 2009
I had great hopes for this kettle as it looks really lovely, and after all what can go wrong with a stove kettle? I found out rather quickly: First of all this kettle pours really badly due to the position of the spout; you end up twisting your whole body to get the water out. Rubbish. But even worse, it taints the taste of the water; we can still taste it after several weeks. Very disappointing. I am thinking about binning this one and looking elsewhere.