Profile for J. O'Malley > Reviews

Content by J. O'Malley

J. O'Malley (Liverpool UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Star Trek Into Darkness [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine

2.0 out of 5 stars A shame, didn't live up to the re-boot, 3 Oct 2013
I am an avid Star Trek fan and unlike some, actually enjoyed the re-boot film. This however felt like a parody film. I understand wanting to pay tribute to the Wrath of Kahn, however the endless comparissons shows unfortunately how much of a poor mans version this actually is. I mean... actually getting spock to shout Khaaaaaan seriously, its so obvious and very much not Spock.

I hope the next installment vastly improves as the re-boot felt fresh and new, this feels tired and limited by what a fan thinks other fans want...

Disappointing.

More Than This
More Than This

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great read gripping until the end!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: More Than This (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, it twists and turns and you have no idea where you are heading, slamming you with its plot twits like all good books do.

I often feel that the sign of a good book is how little people will tell you about the plot, I'm not going to tell you anything because I don't want to spoil it for you!

Bedphones - Headphones Designed for Sleep - WITH FREE APP
Bedphones - Headphones Designed for Sleep - WITH FREE APP

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea not well executed..., 17 May 2013
I bought these after looking for headphones that could be worn whilst sleeping. Initially they were ok but after about 30 mins the problems appeared. These are two basic problems -

The Headphones themselves are too big, this means that as long as you sleep on your back you'll be fine, however resting on your side pushes them into the side of your ear. The large flat surface area squashes the inside of your ear causing pain.

The second problem is the design of the wire, this is designed to wrap around your ear holding he headphones in place. Unfortunately the hard wire is very painful and you'll find yourself endlessly trying to re-adjust the cable to both stop the pain and keep them in place.

Finally because these are not in-ear headphones the audio quality isnt great.

Six Years
Six Years

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great read that never lets up!, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Six Years (Kindle Edition)
After hearing 6 Years featured on Radio 2 I thought I'd give it a go and i really enjoyed it. Fast paced with so many intricate plot twists it kept reading right to the end. Often with stories like this, with its escalation of tension and drama the ending can leave you feeling a little let down, but not here. All the loose ends are tied up masterfully and I really recommend this for anyone to read!

Nokia CR-122 In Car Holder for N8
Nokia CR-122 In Car Holder for N8

4.0 out of 5 stars Secure Holder for a variety of Phones, 22 Aug 2012
Holds both my Nokia E7 and my girlfriends Lumia 800 securely. Doesn't fall off the windscreen like many similar holders, remains firmly stuck for months.

Only slight niggle involves the way you take the phone out. its a sprung loaded holder that you have to push your phone downwards to release. After a few months of use, the angled bracket loosens up slightly meaning that when you push the phone down, rather than releasing it, it just changes the angle of the holder. Not too much of a problem, just have to get the technique right!

Nokia CR-117 In-Car Bracket for N97 Mini
Nokia CR-117 In-Car Bracket for N97 Mini

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone holder, shame the phones not as good., 7 Oct 2010
Phone holder works great for the N97 mini, and I'd love the combination if only the phone worked and didn't crash!

If you have the N97 mini this is a great cradle, holds the phone securely.

I have found however that occasionally if you like to switch your phone from landscape to portrait mode the cradle will fall off its back. only happens rarely but worth noting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2011 10:59 AM GMT

Coleman Fold N Go 2 Burner Propane Stove - Red
Coleman Fold N Go 2 Burner Propane Stove - Red
Offered by The Simply Group

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Travel Stove but uses Fuel Fast, 7 Oct 2010
Bought this stove as I was looking for a portable stove that I could use whilst camping. First impressions are very good, it produces a good level of heat though it can be difficult to regulate the heat - its either full power or off.

My only problem with this system is that you can only use Colemans Gas Canisters, they last just about 1 day (cooking breakfast, making hot drinks and cooking dinner) so if your going for a weekend make sure you have a few of the canisters.

Overall a nice stove but the fuel can be difficult to get hold of.

Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 4
Radio 1's Live Lounge - Volume 4
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing 4th outing, 27 Jan 2010
The key to success is often knowing when you should stop, Volume 3 was the point in this collection, I loved the first three volumes, but this one was disappointing, it all feels very samey and for me the worst part of the album is Lilly Allens its not fair, which isnt even live, its the radio edit! Can't believe she mimed in the live lounge!

However for those complaining about certain tracks not being included, they do have to get permission from both the singing and original artists before they can put the songs on a compilation album so some songs where never going to be allowed to make it (if the original artist doesn't like the cover version for example)

Overall a disappointing album, I advise you buy the tracks you like as a download and leave the rest!

Star Trek (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Star Trek (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine
Offered by OnlineMusicFilmsGames

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Film but lacking for a 2 Disc Special Edition, 16 Dec 2009
I loved this film when I saw it in the Cinema and couldn't wait for it to come out on DVD so ordered the 2 disc special edition rather than the single disc version.

I thought I had pre-ordered from Amazon but received delivery from an Amazon partner, this was not a problem just that it was not what I had expected when I clicked the pre-order button.

When I opened the package I was rather disappointed with the level of quality considering this is a special edition. the information sleeve, usually printed on the back of the DVD case is a paper sheet inserted into the box presumably because the DVD sleeve itself is just the faces of Kirk and Spock. The print quality of this inner sleeve is poor and looks pirated even though its a real DVD.

The Film itself is still fantastic but again the DVD extras make you wonder why this is a two disc edition, the extras are very thin on the ground and the documentary's short.

I feel the film is great but this edition is a bit of a let down, makes me think they are now giving up on DVD extras to try and push you towards blue ray...

Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Xbox 360)
Offered by S6 entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game but far too Short, 15 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all I loved this game in terms of gameplay, it reminded me of the old Splinter Cells in terms of stealth gameplay, however this is a very good example of what happens with games when you trade a size of a game for graphics.

The graphics are absolutely fantastic, but the game world feels small and confined.

Its a game I really enjoyed playing but I completed it in 2 days and that was taking my time, when i re-ran the game on easy setting it only took an evening.

Its a shame because the gameplay is fantastic and very enjoyable, I just wish it would have been able to carry on longer.

Page: 1 | 2