Profile for Nanouk Harper > Reviews

Content by Nanouk Harper

Nanouk Harper (Bolton, England)

Baader Meinhof
Baader Meinhof

5.0 out of 5 stars An album like no other, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Baader Meinhof (Audio CD)
This album is the distilled genius of Luke Haines. I personally don't think that any of his other work matches up to this amazing album. The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder, his solo works and others all have standout tracks, but none present such a cohesive unity of vision and delivery as Baader Meinhof.

Draper 76215 230-Volt 810-Watt Hammer Drill
Draper 76215 230-Volt 810-Watt Hammer Drill
Offered by T FOR TOOLS of Lurgan

2.0 out of 5 stars Good at first..., 9 Mar. 2013
This drill was great at first for our light DIY needs, but has just tripped all the fuses in our house three times in a row. We've had it for a year. Our last drill was still going strong after 20 years.

HTC Desire TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover (Desire "HD", Smoke Black)
HTC Desire TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover (Desire "HD", Smoke Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, could be better, 29 April 2011
There's not much you can say about this product - It's a gel case that helps protect your Desire HD from accidental damage.
It doesn't protect the screen, which is fine, it doesn't claim to.
It doesn't protect the camera lens, which protrudes out further than the gel case itself, so that's my one complaint.
Pressing the physical buttons gets a little harder, but that's fine as they're incredibly sensitive in the first place.
The colours are neutral gray, and I got the one shown in the picture.

For the price, very good.

Hunter the Vigil (Hunter)
Hunter the Vigil (Hunter)
by Chuck Wendig

5.0 out of 5 stars A gateway game to the World of Darkness, 3 Jan. 2011
I ran Hunter: The Vigil for my local gaming group as a 'gateway' game. Few of them had played a World of Darkness game before, and rather than explain the often complex social hierarchies and detailed history of one of the other supernatural core books, such as Werewolf, Changeling or Vampire to them, I opted for Hunter: The Vigil.
During character creation, one of the players, whilst reading the description of the Long Night Compact, exclaimed "Actually, this is really well written!" I'm used to players not knowing what they want to play when creating a character for a new game, but not usually because they're spoilt for choice. Normally there's one or maybe two character options that make a player sit up and pay attention. I found that my group wanted to play everything, which is great.
The game itself does a good job of re-presenting the World of Darkness setting from the perspective of hunters, and introduces two 'new' antagonist types into the game world - Slashers - the classic horror movie tropes, and Demons - which are hardly 'new', but had not been given specific treatment in the 'new' WoD. I personally think they did an excellent job with the Slashers. See the separate World of Darkness: Slashers book published to support them.

The game offers three modes, or 'tiers', of play; normal Joe's fighting back against the dark, members of larger hunter organisations, or Compacts, or members of ancient sects or massive organisations that grant their members access to powers that blur the lines between human and monster.
This almost makes Hunter: The Vigil three games in one, as each tier differs greatly.

Tome of the Watchtowers (Mage the Awakening)
Tome of the Watchtowers (Mage the Awakening)
by Kraig Blackwelder

1.0 out of 5 stars Extreme disappointment, 5 Sept. 2010
I want to love Mage: the Awakening. The core rules are not half bad. The supplements, however, are a different story.
This book endeavours to offer a detailed and in-depth analysis of each of the five magical paths, no doubt inspiring us to greater heights of role-play success.
Unfortunately, it falls short. Very short.
The format is standard, being the basic fiction/explorative essay/historical settings/current concerns/rules crunch for each path.
I found the fiction, essays and historical/present day sections stretched, unimaginative and uninspiring. There was nothing going on in there that I couldn't get from the core rules, nothing new and nothing that stood out as a reason to play a character from that path.
The rules crunch varies from genuinely attractive additions to poorly designed and edited ideas that are technically impossible.
For example, the Acanthus path features the Storm Keeper Legacy, which requires Forces 2 - 4 to gain the attainments - no mean feat for an Acanthus mage, who are limited to Forces 2 as it's their paths inferior arcana. Yes, they could increase it above that with the aid of an Obrimos mage, but I don't see how such a Legacy could ever have developed.
The book also includes Oblations, which are rituals and observances a mage can perform to regain Mana. I'm not overly impressed by these. They seem to me to be quick wins that defeat the point of Mana being valuable and difficult to obtain.
The new Merits in the Thyrsus section are the best in the book, by a long shot, and can expressly be used by any mage from any path. I just wouldn't buy the book just to get them.
Steer clear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2010 10:10 PM BST

Trail of Cthulhu
Trail of Cthulhu
by Robin D. Laws

4.0 out of 5 stars A complete new way to go mad or die, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Trail of Cthulhu (Hardcover)
I've only played Call of Cthulhu a couple of times, but I understand that it is one of the most influential and well loved RPGs in history, and this book really brings that home - a totally new system, focussed on procedural investigation and running away from unspeakable horror - and at the same time a fond revisiting of everything that made Call of ... a classic.
The deceptively simple system encourages the players and Keeper to produce a compelling gaming experience, and the details add layer after layer of delight.
My personal highlights of the book include the sidebars that discuss how playtesters wanted to be less capable and more likely to die horribly or go completely insane almost immediately, with optional rules to adopt should you also wish to succumb to the mythos in short order.
The suggestions for portraying insanity interesting, requiring the rest of the players and the Keeper to create the effects of psychological unbalance without telling the afflicted player what is going on.
I would recommend this game to any experienced roleplayer, especially those that prefer involved plots, simple mechanics and who don't mind their characters being consumed body, mind and soul by horrific entities from beyond the stars. Regularly.

Tomorrow Morning
Tomorrow Morning

3.0 out of 5 stars The first breath of fresh air as you leave the house for the first time in days, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Tomorrow Morning (Audio CD)
All the reviews i'd read of this album, and all the pre-release details, indicated that it was 'ultimately uplifting'. I now realise that it is 51% positive.
This is not a cheerful album, although that's not to say it's a bad album. I would say that it definitely is about moving on and leaving oneself open to positive change, about letting go of grief and anger and on those grounds is a positive experience.
There's not much you can dance to, though, not even in the privacy of your own room.
Not one for new or casual Eels fans, and best enjoyed as the final part of the Hombre Lobo / End Times / Tomorrow Morning 'trilogy'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2011 1:32 PM GMT

EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer (Wii)
EA Sports Active: Personal Trainer (Wii)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a Nunchuk hitting you in the face really count as a trick?, 23 May 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not an exercise fan. I find it doesn't hold my attention or engage me. So i didn't have high hopes when EA Active arrived this afternoon.
I've set myself up, answered the nutrition questions as honestly as possible and designed the virtual 'me', even down to the shoes i wear.
I chose a light, easy work-out to start with, and soon found myself sweating within two minutes.
The game sets you calorie targets, mine was to burn 138 in 20 minutes, which are much more challenging than you expect. I beat mine by 13 calories, and do feel as though i've exercised.
I don't own a Balance Board, but didn't notice the lack of one.
I am 6'2", and did have a couple of problems because of that. The cable from Nunchuck to Remote isn't that long, so when running and In Skating, i managed to pull it out of the leg holster, which does muck up the exercise somewhat - although i found In Skating impossible to do, and only scored a 'trick' when the nunchuk flew out and i had to pause to reinsert it.
I definately intend to keep at it, if only to beat my wife. I would recommend it people who don't like exercise. I would advise wearing training clothes, and not jeans.
Thanks to my trainer, I now know that I am nothing short of Awesome!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2009 10:55 PM BST