Profile for Topsy > Reviews

Folding Techniques for Designers: From Sheet to Form
Folding Techniques for Designers: From Sheet to Form
by Paul Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Folding Techniques Explained, 30 Aug 2011
I have bought various books on paper folding, most of them just have lots of different templates but no information on how to create new ones. What this book is teaching me is the techniques of paper folding, so that I'll be able to devise my own designs. I'm still working my way through, but so far everything has been very clearly explained and easy to follow. I've also found some videos to go with the book on the publisher's website, which are quite helpful. There is also a CD included with the crease patterns.

Masters of Fashion Illustration
Masters of Fashion Illustration
by David Downton

5.0 out of 5 stars Masters of Fashion Illustration, 28 Sep 2010
I am no expert on fashion illustration (this was a birthday present), but I have learnt a lot about it from this book. In the last few years fashion illustration has become popular again and David Downton, the author of this book, is one of the people who has helped to bring it back to prominence. This is his selection of the best of fashion illustration from the last 100 years or so and it looks wonderful. His selection is varied and it's interesting to see how styles changed as the decades of the 20th century went past, as a Mad Men fan, I particularly like the work of Bob Peak from the early 60's. There's a lot of work from Downton himself in the book and it's fascinating to see how he absorbed the influences from the other "Masters" in the book to create his own style. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in fashion and it would make a great Christmas present.

I Know How To Cook
I Know How To Cook
by Clotilde Dusoulier

5.0 out of 5 stars Je Sais Cuisiner, 13 Oct 2009
This review is from: I Know How To Cook (Hardcover)
At last in English! I have a battered copy of the French version which I worked my way through while living in Paris a few years ago. The English version is much prettier, than the rigorous, image-free, French original. Some of the recipes are very French, including several for snails and frogs legs, but most of them are quite simple and they have been through almost 80 years of testing - the book was first published in 1932. This is not a here today, gone tomorrow TV tie-in, but something that will be on your shelf for years to come. From the English edition I have tried making madeleines, easy and instantly devoured by the children (so no time for Proustian reflection), and the raspberry sorbet, very easy and a talking point at a recent dinner party. Highly recommended.

The Silver Spoon; Pasta (Silver Spoon Book)
The Silver Spoon; Pasta (Silver Spoon Book)
by Edward Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Viva La Pasta!, 13 Oct 2009
My kids love Pasta, but we never seem to get past Spaghetti Bolognese, so I thought I'd invest in this book to expand my repertoire. It's divided into two parts, one on dry pasta and one on fresh pasta (one is not necessarily better than the other). It's very rigorous and Italian, only certain shapes of pasta go with certain sauces, but many of the recipes are straight forward and quick (15 mins or less). The Fusilli Pizza recipe was very popular with the boys (7 and 5) and with 360 recipes in the book there's a lot more to try, although I will have to invest in a pasta machine to try all the recipes. Ravioli with duck filling sounds particularly delicious.

A Day at elBulli: An insight into the ideas, methods and creativity of Ferran Adrià
by Albert Adrià

5.0 out of 5 stars El Bulli Explained, 10 Oct 2008
I had read a lot about El Bulli and Ferran Adria in newspapers and magazines, but his restaurant always seemed remote and mysterious. This book goes into great detail to show how "the world's number one restaurant" actually works, from 6am when the sun comes up to 2am when the customers have left and the door is locked. It's fascinating (and a little frightening) to see the lengths that Adria and his team go to in order to ensure that every guest has the best experience. There are some recipes, but you'd need a candyfloss machine and various other arcane bits of kit to make them all. The food looks delicious, sometimes familiar and often wierd, but the pictures of the guests eating show that they're having fun. Now that my appetite has been whetted I want to get a table, they are just about to open reservations for the 2009 season. In the meantime I've got the book to keep me dreaming of culinary heaven.

1080 Recipes
1080 Recipes
by Inés and Simone Ortega

5.0 out of 5 stars Spain on a plate., 30 Oct 2007
This review is from: 1080 Recipes (Hardcover)
I had heard about 1080 Recipes from Spanish friends, who claim that this book is the most reliable guide to cooking Spanish food. My language skills are OK, but not up to following recipes, so it's great to have the book in English. It's a substantial volume, with lots of colourful illustrations and it's going to take me a while to work through all the recipes. As you might expect there are a lot of seafood recipes - almost 150, but I was pleasantly surprised to find 136 pages on Vegetables and Mushrooms, which will help me to do more interesting things with the contents of the weekly veg box. It would make a great Christmas present - it's more interesting than the Nigella/Jamie books! I have to give it five stars, as it's such good value for such a beautiful, and useful, book.