Profile for gururob > Reviews

Battle Flight: RAF Air Defence Projects and Weapons Since 1945
Battle Flight: RAF Air Defence Projects and Weapons Since 1945
by Chris Gibson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jan. 2015
Very interesting. I learned so much about the subject though, at times, I got a bit lost in the minutiae of radar specifications.

Cons: few. It could have done with some extra proof-reading - sentences cut in half with a full stop, a couple of diagrams incorrectly labelled. Not enough to detract from the excellence of the book.

Well worth buying if you have any interest in post-war military aviation.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

4.0 out of 5 stars Do they miss Mr. Portnoy?, 14 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I would say no.

After the 'intro' the Enemy Inside really gets the album going. Great rocking track.
Looking Glass starts off sounding like Rush (not a bad thing), reminding the listener that they often wear their influences proudly on their sleeves.

Yes, there are a couple of breathy ballads but that's to be expected.

Overall, a cracking album and I look forward to many more.
If only they could play near me at the weekend rather than mid-week, so I could get to see them live.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 4:18 PM BST

Queensr˙che
Queensr˙che

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good., 2 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Queensr˙che (MP3 Download)
This album is rather better than I expected. Certainly better than FU.
After 1 listen through I can't think of any stand-out tracks but can't think of any fillers, either.

Begs the question, however, did they choose their replacement singer because he sounds like GT? I had an aural double take when he started singing and checked I hadn't chosen the wrong album.

13 (Deluxe Version)
13 (Deluxe Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the triumphant return for which I'd hoped, 19 July 2013
This review is from: 13 (Deluxe Version) (MP3 Download)
Ozzy's back - good.
Tony's riffing - good.
Geezer is brilliant as always - very good.
The drummer is competent - good.

All that said, I think the album falls a little flat. Most tracks are very slow. They seem to be aiming for the same feel as their first few albums but don't quite make it.
I know Ozzy as the madman running around on stage, bathed in sweat, energising the entire audience. This Ozzy sounds like he's singing while sat in a comfy chair. More Dean Martin than the Prince of £$%&ing Darkness. He just doesn't put much into the performance. Might be something to do with falling under the wagon during recording.

Big shame, could have been great but just wasn't.

Frequency Unknown
Frequency Unknown
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not good., 19 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Frequency Unknown (Audio CD)
I have listened to this twice now, willing to give it the benefit of the doubt (much as I did when I first heard Q2K and Tribe) and I have come to the conclusion that it is OK.
No bad tracks, just no real stand-out ones, either.

Interestingly, the re-recorded classics tacked on the end are pale imitations of the originals. Geoff's journeyman band isn't as good (at playing Queensryche music) as Wilton, et al.

It's a bit of a shame.

Cadbury Medium Easter Egg Collection
Cadbury Medium Easter Egg Collection

1.0 out of 5 stars Bit expensive, 15 Mar. 2013
6 of these eggs in Sainsburys will cost you max £9. Possibly more like £6 with special offers.
Bit rich to charge £20.

USB Female Port OTG Cable Adapter For Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet 10.1/8.9 P7510
USB Female Port OTG Cable Adapter For Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet 10.1/8.9 P7510
Offered by Allske

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 5 Mar. 2013
Bought this so I could access USB sticks with my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and it works exactly as it should.

TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN821N 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter
Offered by Comtronics

4.0 out of 5 stars Adapter works but CD didn't, 28 Feb. 2013
Bought to improve the wireless performance of my wife's old laptop and it seems to have worked. I'll know for sure when she uses it for any prolonged surfing but initial appearance is positive.

Installing it, however, wasn't as smooth. The mini-CD was recognised but didn't seem to have anything on it so I had to download the drivers from the TP-Link website.

CPO 2M USB 3.0 Extension Cable, Male to Female - Black and Blue
CPO 2M USB 3.0 Extension Cable, Male to Female - Black and Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says..., 23 Jan. 2013
Bought this to be able to use my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 while charging it without sitting on top of the plug socket and it works a treat.

Cover-Up Amazon Kindle Fire (7-inch) Tablet Version Stand Cover Case - (Black)
Cover-Up Amazon Kindle Fire (7-inch) Tablet Version Stand Cover Case - (Black)
Offered by Cover-Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Snug, 7 Dec. 2012
I don't think this cover was actually made for the Kindle Fire but it goes in and is held very tightly.
Considering, however, that it was less than £10 including postage, the fact that it is a bit on the snug side doesn't really matter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3