Profile for okeyblokey > Reviews

Content by okeyblokey

okeyblokey (Bolton, Lancashire)

Page: 1 | 2
BTR LARGE Bicycle Top Tube Frame Cycling Pannier Bike Bag & Mobile Phone Holder / Mount - Water Resistant
Offered by BTR Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Galaxy Note 2, 3 May 2014
Wow. Sits & fastens to the top tube & fastens around head tube, too. At first I was worried it would be too big & in the way. However, once in the saddle it was fine. The middle strap for the top tube will not fasten around my bike (Specialized Hardrock) and will probably struggle with fatter frames. The other two vecro strips hold it perfectly in place, though.

My phone is held very snug and doesn't move around, which is nice. The only downside is I can't quite get at the very top if the screen to swipe down for looking at notifications etc. The touchscreen works perfectly and I am pretty sure thar the msterials used will make it reasonably resistant to all but the worst rainfall.

The inner compartment is big enough for keys, cash, spare inner tube / tyre levers / small tools. Personally, I wear a camelbak, so all my gear is in there, barring keys so never goung to fill it.

For what this cost me, I would say it absolutely fits the bill, in every department. Recommended.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2014 9:16 PM BST

VicTsing® Green Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Sport Headset Handsfree For Running iPhone 6, 6 Plus, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad Mini, Macbook iMac, Sony, Nokia Lumia 920 Samsung Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4 HTC One M8, Google Nexus, Laptop PC Skype, MSN, PS2, Xbox
Offered by VICTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain - no debate, 3 May 2014
I bought these to connect to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 whilst training for a charity bike ride this summer. I wanted some cheap bluetooth 'phones to hear my ride app data / instructions without keep stopping. It's a bonus that I can play music to keep me motivated, too.

The sound from both spoken voice in my ride app & clarity of music is very good, much better than the tenner paid would have suggested! Other reviewers note wind noise, which I can verify. I don't think it's a deal breaker, though. Like I say, ten quid......seriously, that's not even 3 pints in my local!

No problem connecting to my phone, and worked first time, which isn't always the case with bluetooth....Unit seems robust enough, but I don't need the control buttons, so can't comment on them.

Not five stars as I found after an hour in ear, they were beginning to be a little sore. That could be me not used to wearing earphones, though. If it changes, I will update my review. In summary, for the cash, these are a bargain. An hour of ELO 'Out Of The Blue' really kept me going in their first outing and that is the motivation I need to get fit again.

EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL EBONY Electric guitars SG
EPIPHONE SG SPECIAL EBONY Electric guitars SG

5.0 out of 5 stars Value For Money - Excellent Guitar To Learn With, 6 Feb 2014
I have had around ten lessons and decided that I needed to upgrade from my 1980's strat-a-like that I bought second hand to something new. I shortlisted this model from some extensive internet searches and YT video etc. along with other models, all from Epiphone. The guarantee that comes with all Epiphone, and parent company Gibson, is excellent so I wanted a part of that.

The sensible approach for me was to get to a music shop and try my shortlist out against each other in direct comparison. So I looked at two styles of guitar, the SG and the Les Paul and also looked at variations from cheaper to more expensive. These were all played through a really swish Orange amp, much better than my crappy practice amp at home so they all sounded good.

So, I initially found that there was - to my ears - little difference between this model and the SG310. In terms of playing them, there was no difference, other than the additional tone & volume controls on the more expensive model. Will I use them? Maybe. Could I use the extra £50 elsewhere? Definitely! So the SG selection was made.

Then I tried the Les Paul models as a comparison. To me, I always thought the Les Paul guitars were the archetypal rock legend guitars and were therefore quite aspirational. I started at the budget end with the Les Paul Special 2 and found this quite easy to get along with, but noticeably a bit weedy or thin in sound compared to the other guitars I tried. It was okay, but no better than that. The Les Paul 100 from Epiphone was noticeably warmer in tone, with miles more sustain. I hardly play more than a handful of chords at this point but I couldn't choose the cheaper model on hearing this. The truth is that I recently had a go with a LP Standard and the LP 100 suffered in comparison to that. As I say, I aspire to own an LP at some point, so when I am good enough, I will buy a more expensive model.

Which brings me back to my lovely shiny ebony SG. I chose this because of the above reasons, but also because setting out on the road of guitar playing is really hard work; I'm in my forties and don't have hours on end to devote to my playing. This means that investing heavily in something that I may never get the best out of seems a bit ridiculous. My SG sounds great. My SG looks great and it will grow with my ability.

The downside, if there is one, is that it came quite poorly setup, with the bridge adjusted right the way up, so I couldn't really get it in tune. My guitar tutor had a fiddle and got it into shape. He reckons that the truss rod will need tweaking, too, to get the best out of it. He was massively impressed with the sound and feel of the SG Special, especially at the pricepoint. He's been playing for 20+ years and if this is good enough for a professional, it's good enough for me!

For a hundred and thirty quid, this is a died in the wool great piece of kit. If you can play guitar to a good standard, you will have or want to buy a better model, with better pickups and tuners etc. If you are not of said good standard, then this would serve you very well indeed.

Guitar Mastery Simplified: How Anyone Can Quickly Become a Strumming, Chords, and Lead Guitar Ninja
by Erich Andreas

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Of The Century?, 27 Jun 2013
So I reached the ripe old age of 43 and I thought to myself, 'You know what? You never did learn guitar. Sort it out!'

Then I bought a vintage Encore strat and cheapo amp and decided to get going. What struck me straight away was that the advice I was given to play right handed (despite being left handed) was either total poppycock or the guitar was broken. Turns out that playing the instrument is singularly difficult and most people pack in not long after starting. I'm not a quitter, but I'm not especially musical, either, so I needed some inspiration.

After a brief google I happened across Erich on youtube and was impressed with his stance that anyone can be great. He points out in the pages of this book that very opinion. Was Hendrix a 4 year old ready born axe-god? No. He had shed loads of practice hours before he got to be legendary. Am I ever going to be that good? Unlikely. Too many other commitments. However, as it stands, I am as good as Jimmy once was. And I can only go forward from there!

I subbed Erich on YT and began to receive a steady stream of advice on email. This was followed this week by the notice from him that this book was now free to download on Kindle. I have a 3G Kindle keyboard and also a Kindle Fire HD so I would be a bit of a div not to download.

Erich re-itterates constantly the need for perseverance and practice. I'm nowhere near ready to begin even stringing notes together, but the first few chapters have me learning to strum and build strength / dexterity around the fretboard. This seems a little slow paced, but even in the couple of days I've been at it, I can report that my skill is improving.

If I were to suggest an improvement (and that's why we are all here, right?) it would be to milestone test us. For instance; can you do this exercise proficiently yet....? If not, don't read on! I agree, no way it would stop me reading on, but it would set my own bar of expectancy a bit more accurately!

Great book - grab it whilst it is free. And sub Erich up!

Stick Cricket
Stick Cricket

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stick Cricket (App)
Best free app I have downloaded so far. Glenn McGrath's bouncer is very sneaky! This is the classic 'One More Go' game - get it, you won't regret it.

Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB  [Previous Generation]
Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB [Previous Generation]

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity Vs Functionality, 2 Jan 2013
The question you need to really ask yourself about the Kindle Fire HD is a simple one; what are you looking for in a tablet?

I received my 32gb Kindle as an Xmas present and it is my second Kindle (I also have a 3G keyboard reader). In the house, we also have an iPad so I feel that I can give you a fair comparison. Whilst I don't have an Android tablet that I can compare with, I do have two Android smartphones, so do have experience of using Google Play.

Are you a high end user, likely to want to root or strip back all your software and jailbreak a device? Kindle Fire HD is not for you. Are you likely to be spending lots of money on apps across an entire spectrum of games, productivity & entertainment etc.? There again, for reasons I give below, this is not going to be for you. Do you want a tablet that you can get out of the box and begin to use straight away? Then read on....this could be right up your street.

The tablet feels good in the hands with a rubberised back cover, but the screen is a bit of a fingerprint magnet, but then again, so is the iPad. Do invest in a case - it will prolong the life of the screen and help protect your shiny new purchase. Sound is excellent; really loud and clear. I stream music over our home network and the Kindle really does it justice. Some reviews I have read make comment about the non-retina display levels of clarity that the iPad has. Behave. I have 20-20 vision and the difference is honestly negligible to me.

I have the special offers on my Kindle and find it totally unobtrusive as they only appear as still images on the locked screen or if you click through the special offers listing in the top menu. I cannot imagine how this would be an issue, but, hey, whatever floats your boat!

The app store size seems to be the main source of criticism for the Kindle Fire HD and I do have some sympathy with this argument. I tend to use consoles for gaming, so this isn't a massive deal-breaker for me. Having said that, we do have hundreds of apps on the iPad that I know are largely available in the Google Play store, but make no appearance on the Amazon platform. The obverse of that particular coin is that Amazon give you a free (normally paid for) app every day. Ultimately, I guess that the Amazon store will gradually get bigger, especially as the Kindle ownership population grows.

Many people seem interested in the iPlayer app. I have downloaded this and it works very well. I don't have the fastest broadband (circa 3.5mb / s) and it runs smoothly without stuttering / buffering. It doesn't have the functionality to download programs yet, or at least I have not found that feature. If and when this does become available, the extra space on my 32gb unit will be filled very quickly!

In terms of youtube, I use the browser which defaults to the mobile site version. This hasn't caused me any problems and I have been able to login to my account and view my subscriptions etc. with absolutely no difficulty.

Most of my useage of the Kindle has been with Twitter and Facebook. The apps seem much more stable than the iPad versions which seem to crash regularly for me. The interfaces are slick and quick to load and will suffice to give 90%+ of people the features they need.

In summary, this is currently my most used device. I can access my email, social media platforms and the internet anywhere on the go. I love this tablet, I love the fact it is simplicity itself. Anyone less knowledgable or less experience of technology will love this. There are some minor quibbles with the Kindle Fire HD but they do not spoil anything for me. Yes, the app store could be bigger and, yes, Amazon don't provide a mains charger out of the box. But look at the positives instead!

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Nintendo Wii U)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by APE-GAMES

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not perfect...., 3 Dec 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I am a mature gamer, and have owned / still own just about every platform since time began. I'm loving the Wii U for what new functionality it brings to the party but I wanted to mention Black Ops2 and how it fares on Nintendo's flagship hardware, specifically compared to Xbox and it's Live! platform.

The truth is, I'm a seasoned player who runs and guns, with no regard for KD or personal stats; I play the objective in a very gung-ho fashion. And that, in itself is the biggest flaw with this game if you want to play online. Last night, at 9pm CET, I booted this game for the first time and went straight into multiplayer. There were only players in the lobby for team deathmatch, free for all & domination. As I like to play objectives, I went for domination. There were a total of - drum roll please - 657 people playing online in this variant. In total, there were just under 2000 people playing online!!

This gives you some difficulties. First up, I would have played bootcamp to rank up to level 10 to start building classes before jumping straight in. No chance. Couldn't get a lobby going and waited around 10 minutes to try it! So, I went domination and did manage to get a game on Express, where everyone was quickscoping down the track and not trying to cap flags. Oh dear.

The game moves fine with good frame rates and no clipping etc. and should hold up well longer term. The gamepad works okay and seemed to have no bearing on game speed etc. with the display turned on. Next purchase will be the Pro controller, though, to make it a bit more familiar for me.

I will, personally, keep on with Xbox Live! until more people have got the game and get going with it. I suspect this dynamic will take some time as this game isn't tailored to a core Nintendo demographic audience. I was going to rate the game with three stars, but that would be unfair as the lack of gamers isn't the games fault. If you are getting the console, I would get this - providing you are over 18, obviously....
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2012 5:31 PM GMT

58mm 8 Point Star Light Flare Cross Filter 8-pointed STAR8 FILTER
58mm 8 Point Star Light Flare Cross Filter 8-pointed STAR8 FILTER
Offered by Ultra Sales Global (7-23 Business Day Delivery Time)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value & No Frills, 2 Sep 2012
I needed this filter for one specific purpose and, to be honest, I may never use it again. That is not due to the product, but down to my needs.

The filter is well made and seems to be of suitable quality to last for some time. It came in a good plastic case so that I can take it off my lens and keep it safe.

In terms of the effect on images, I was pleased to notice that it wasn't too overpowering; giving the exact effect advertised, so that was pleasing.

The seller got it to me within 48hrs of ordering in good packaging.

If you're looking for an inexpensive solution to your star-related pictures, you will do no better than this at this pricepoint.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Hours In & Loving It......, 8 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I nearly decided not to buy MW3 today. Yes, I said today. Didn't have a pre-order as I have been stuck into Battlefield 3 and enjoying the different slant on FPS, thanks very much. The real benefit to me has been that I bought my copy this morning at 08:00am from a well known supermarket that was open 24hrs, along with enough microsoft points to download the premium Elite package. Great stuff, and at a price that must have been at least fifteen quid cheaper than buying the game at full cost from Amazon or elsewhere. Also meant I did get to play the game today after I'd paid for it......

Okay. So what is the game like? It feels very similar to the earlier instalments in the franchise, both at multiplayer and the set-pieces of campaign. As the mantra goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Except that the developers have fixed it. On MW2 & Black Ops, I only ever played Domination, Headquarters or Search and Destroy. I really dislike the KD whoring of TDM or FFA. Probably because I'm actually a bit rubbish, to tell you the truth.

Step forward the new weapon levelling, custom streak packages & new game formats (seriously, how good is Kill Confirmed???!! or Team Defence!!!!) and better balance of most weapons and some really nicely designed maps (lots of height / levels) and you have a definite must buy game. If I was to offer you any of my thoughts on gunplay, I think some of the shotguns could do with nerfing backing a bit. Or I need to keep my distance a bit better!

From the moment I got picked off by my first encounter with a Bouncing Betty (I laughed my head off) to my first triple kill, I have to say that I've really enjoyed it. If you haven't got your copy yet, take a look at some of the you tube stuff on the game. It really pumped me up for getting it.

One final word of advice if you're going to dip your toe in the waters of MW3; use a proper headset. Most of the people who are any good at this game are using them and it's murder. Literally. They can hear every footstep and determine the direction you are in from it. Get a good headset and level the playing field a bit in your favour.

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite......, 31 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Over the years, I think I've bought, played & finished the campaign mode on every FPS before I get tucked into the multiplayer. Why? Well, first off, I think it gives me more of an understanding of the background to the game I'm going to be spending hundreds of hours of my life with. Moreover, it gives me a sense of having gained the full value from the game. I recently went back to CoD 3, MW, MW2 & Black Ops to re-do the campaigns to get me in the mood for BF3 & MW3. Would you honestly go back to the multiplayer on an older game when it's newer counterpart is available?

So BF3. Did the campaign on normal and it took me about 5 hours all in. There are some glitches, and some ropey looking textures (even after the HD install on 360), so I agree with some of the other reviewers. However, in places, the graphics are amazing. And the sound is sensational! You really get a sense of being in the midst of firefights, especially with PLR armour!

Quite how the enemy can see to shoot exclusively at you in the dark when your squad are stood right in front of them, though, is quite a mystery. I'm thinking of Night Shift in particular, then Kaffarov in the pool house. However, having said all that, it was okay and I enjoyed getting to the end of it. Not really a fan of quick time events, though, Dice. They should be confined to the Shenmue series.......

Most folks will have bought BF3 for the multiplayer, which I've only put around an hour into so far due to other family commitments. What I will say is that - so far - it's a big wow. The maps are great (and massive)and cater for proper teamwork, with your recon guys keeping their distance and the assault & engineer guys getting stuck in. Remember, everyone, team work is the key to making this a great game. When MW3 is out, I think a lot of run and gunners will jump ship, possibly helping with server issues & also make for more fluid ebb and flow games.

It could be me, but I am fairly certain that there are some issues with shot detection, though. I had around ten hit markers on a guy from around 30m away and still didn't put him down. Time will tell as I level up whether this is my poor accuracy or inferior weapons.

In summary, I got this for just under the forty quid mark with limited edition & steelbook etc and if I was to try and spend the length of time in the pub that I've spent already with BF3, then it would have cost me the same. If EA can fix the servers, and Dice can patch some of the minor quibbles, then my review will get another star. I've enjoyed it this far, and I think another 100 or so hours will serve me well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2011 8:46 AM GMT