Profile for Ben Locker > Reviews

Content by Ben Locker

Ben Locker (Colchester, UK)

The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book
The Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book

5.0 out of 5 stars A marketer who knows how to listen - even in print, 3 Oct. 2011
If you do one new thing for your business this week, knock off early on Friday afternoon and go home to read Dee Blick's Ultimate Small Business Marketing Book.

That's what I did three days ago, and I'm willing to bet that - thanks to this book - many struggling small businesses will hit profit, while already successful ones will quickly steal a march on their competitors.

Put it like this... My own business specialises in certain areas of marketing, but by the time I'd finished reading Dee's book I had a notepad full of new ideas and plans - both to win new clients and better spread the word about what we do.

I can't wait to put them into action.

In her intro, Dee says that "Many small businesses spend time searching for that one elusive marketing tool or tactic to somehow transform their business."

She's right. What's also true is that many marketing professionals concentrate on the types of marketing they're best at - which means they often fail to cover the basics for the businesses that hire them.

But because this book covers all the things you need to market your business successfully - from drawing up a marketing plan to writing a sales letter, from creating 'lumpy mail' to social media and blogging - it puts power back in your hands. And that's equally true whether you plan to market your business yourself or hire specialists to help you.

The above is a glimpse of what I think the book can do for your business. From a professional point of view (I'm a copywriter), the joy of it is in the writing. Clear, calm, friendly and infused with practical enthusiasm throughout, it's almost as though Dee's in the room with you, guiding you along to path to a more successful business.

She's a listener - even in print. And I can't think of better quality for a marketer to have.