Profile for EmsyP > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Caterham Super 7 - Silver With Green Nose
Caterham Super 7 - Silver With Green Nose

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality model, 11 Nov. 2009
Really pleased with the quality of this model. It is the first I've seen of the Caterham. It will be a great present for my Caterham loving husband!

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring guide to childbirth... highly recommended, 9 April 2009
This was one of the most useful books I read about natural childbirth. It is inspiring and empowering. Ina May addresses common fears and questions about the birthing process (such as 'can a baby really come out of there?!' and 'does it really hurt?') using both scientific explanation (the section on Spincter Law is very interesting) and her experiences as a midwife.

In the end I wasn't able to have a natural childbirth, but this book really calmed and relaxed me in preparing for labour.

My only criticism is that the book is focused on US readers and the US health system. Despite this, it is definitely an invaluable buy for British mums-to-be.

BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Active (Black/Silver, Cotton Mix)
BABYBJÖRN Baby Carrier Active (Black/Silver, Cotton Mix)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for taking the weight off!, 9 April 2009
My 3 week old daughter loves being carried upright, it is often the only thing that will calm her. However it is tiring for me to hold her upright for longer than 5 minutes, especially as I had a c-section, so I decided to purchase this carrier - and it's fantastic. My daughter will not go to sleep when being walked in her pram, but within 5 minutes of swaying to music whilst in her carrier she dropped off! I think she finds it more secure than a pram. It's very comfortable for the adult too. My only complaint is the instructions for putting it on are not easy to decipher - initially I thought I might have to return the carrier as I could not work out how to fit it, and thought at 5'2" I might be too short for a good fit - but once you have worked them out its very straightforward. My best baby buy so far!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2011 10:16 AM BST

Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
Childbirth without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth
by Grantly Dick-Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, but you may find it difficult to read, 17 Feb. 2009
I am pregnant, and bought this book due to the excellent reviews and my desire to have a natural birth.

The book is full of great thoughts. It opened my eyes to how women are generally conditioned to believe birth is a horrible process. This book is inspiring and makes you realise birth can be empowering. It includes some medical background to support the ideas presented, which I found very interesting.

However, I found the book very difficult to read. I really had to trawl through it to get to the end. This is because the writing style is old fashioned (not surprisingly, since the book was last updated in the 1950s). The author tends to go off on a tangent on occasion. Additionally some of the content is outdated as it refers to the way things were done over half a century ago. Whilst the author is ahead of his time with his ideas, some of his comments about women did grate with me.

If want to read some of the earliest writing on natural childbirth this is for you. However, if you are pregnant and simply want to learn about natural childbirth, there are some other books out there that may be more appropriate and easier to read - I would recommend the NCT's Happy Birth Day, and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. However this is good supplementary reading if you have the time and sufficient interest!

Happy Birth Day: What to Do When for Your Best Possible Pregnancy and Birth (National Childbirth Trust)
by National Childbirth Trust

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent: informative and easy to read, 26 Jan. 2009
I bought this book as I was not able to take the NCT antenatal classes. I am very pleased that I did buy it - it covers everything that was in my NHS antenatal classes, but in more detail, and further topics as well. The book is informative and not judgemental of your choices. It covers health and well-being in pregnancy, explains the labour process, gives the advantages and disadvantages of each medical intervention/type of pain relief in labour. It also covers breastfeeding and the early days of life with a baby, including how you might feel. It has been a huge help in my decision of where to give birth and formulate a birth plan. I highly recommend it, it is a great back up to antenatal classes and allowed me to listen in classes rather than taking notes.

The previous reviewer notes that book is from 2004; the version now available was revised in mid-2007 so it is now more up-to-date.

A DVD is included as well, which apparently follows two women deciding where to have their birth and features an interview with Davina McCall. I have not watched it yet but plan to do so soon. The book alone is worth the money, and hopefully the DVD is an extra bonus!

The Celeb Diaries: The Sensational Inside Story of the Celebrity Decade
The Celeb Diaries: The Sensational Inside Story of the Celebrity Decade
by Mark Frith

3.0 out of 5 stars Avid Heat readers only, 12 Nov. 2008
I've been buying Heat every week for years, and I loved Smash Hits during his years as well, so I was interested to see Mark Frith had written this. He's a great magazine editor, but unfortunately that talent hasn't transferred to the writing of this book.

I agree with other reviewers that feel it is rushed. It seems like he wrote this in six months after he left Heat and his memory seems to fail him a lot. Stories are dealt with quickly. Stories that are covered in more detail, like the fall of Jade, which is one of the most interesting bits, only have a couple of pages devoted to them. Often a days diary entry is only a hundred words or so long and just states a big story that broke that day, e.g. Britney got married, with little other information such as his feelings on it. At one point he mentions a lunch with Simon Cowell and a few tidbits of information, I was dying to hear what he thought of Simon, but he never goes into any detail. Thats the thing, its very factual with little depth and I feel he holds a lot back.

My overall feeling is he's done it as a quick moneyspinner and thats a shame because it could have been much better.

A Place Called Here
A Place Called Here
by Cecelia Ahern

3.0 out of 5 stars Original idea, but ..., 19 Jun. 2008
This review is from: A Place Called Here (Paperback)
I think Cecelia Ahern has some great ideas in her books. This one is about what happens to all those missing items you lose, and what about missing persons as well... Similarly to 'If you could see me now', it is written in a way that is quite believeable and I wanted to keep reading to find out what happened in the end. However having said that I find the writing is quite 'fluffy' with little depth and there were huge holes in parts of the story. Its not a patch on the Time Travelers Wife for example, which also has a 'fantasy' storyline. However, the story would make a great movie!

Keeping Faith
Keeping Faith
by Jodi Picoult

4.0 out of 5 stars Jodi Picoult on form, 7 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Keeping Faith (Paperback)
First I must say I am a Jodi Picoult fan, although I have been disappointed by a couple of her latest book releases (Vanishing Acts and Salem Falls).

But Keeping Faith does not disappoint - it is a fascinating, thought-provoking page-turner.

The story focuses on Faith, a seven-year-old girl who starts seeing God after her parents go through a traumatic divorce. Then she starts appearing to heal and performing miracles. It culminates in a classic Picoult court battle, as Faith's father sues for custody.

The plot is interesting and I found all the issues it brings up fascinating. The characters are well-developed. I loved the relationship between Mariah (Faith's mother) and Ian (a "teleatheist" covering the story of Faith's apparent miracles), and Mariah and Millie (Mariah's mother).

I loved this book - it's gripping fiction that makes you think - classic Jodi Picoult on great form.

The Abortionist's Daughter
The Abortionist's Daughter
by Elisabeth Hyde

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising start but ends disappointingly, 11 Jan. 2007
This book started out really well. It begins with the murder of Diana and the plot instantly grabs you.

The main characters and their background is interesting. Megan (the daughter), Frank (the father), Huck (police detective) and Diana are all likeable even with their failings, making it an easy book to get into.

But the ending really lets the book down. I think the book is intended to be a murder mystery in part, but the murderer is obvious from early on. When the murderer was revealed I kept hoping for another twist, but there was none (unfortunately).

Another reviewer described the ending as "overly generic", I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, but having read the book I completely agree!

The book is quite short and I think this is part of the problem, as everything happens quickly but without any depth. The romance storyline could have been done alot better for example.

If You Could See Me Now
If You Could See Me Now
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of magic - Harry Potter for grown-ups!, 27 Nov. 2006
I borrowed this book from a friend. I have read PS I love you and Where rainbows end by Cecelia Ahern but the synopsis of this didn't really interest me. However, I am pleased I did read it as I really enjoyed it.

Ivan is a lovely character. I really liked how he changed through the story and how his feelings for Elizabeth developed. His innocence was really refreshing! I was less convinced by Elizabeth's character (somewhat ironically as Ivan is `imaginary'!) - in particular I didn't think she would have been an interior designer because she didn't seem very creative, but I can see why the author chose that for her occupation as it created a good medium to demonstrate how Elizabeth changes throughout the book.

As other reviewers have pointed out, more loose ends could have been tied up in the end, but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.

Thinking how to sum up the book, 'Harry Potter for grown ups' strikes me as a good description!

Page: 1 | 2