ARRAY(0xa5387564)

Profile for Will Joseph > Reviews

Content by Will Joseph

Will Joseph "Universal adventurer - travelling the globe, eradicating fear and sadness; bringing joy to those who will choose happiness." (The universe is my oyster.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Casino Royale [2006] [DVD] [2007]
Casino Royale [2006] [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Pacy and racy., 4 Nov 2007
As much was debated as to the suitability of Mr. Craig as Mr. Bond as to the potential value and merit of a re-make of Casino Royale and it seems it was all a waste of time for Craig is simply outstanding. If our real life agents are as menacing as he is then the country is in safe hands and I will forego any opportunity to become an international criminal mastermind.
As tough as he is though, he proves to have very human vulnerabilities such as falling in love and having very sensitive private parts when struck by a flailing weight on a rope. He can be poisoned too and beaten at cards.
I tend to watch the Bond's but never really look forward to them with much enthusiasm but I cannot wait until the next one is done.

Will Joseph.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2007 6:10 PM GMT

A Short History Of Nearly Everything
A Short History Of Nearly Everything
by Bill Bryson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Whow!!!, 4 Nov 2007
Up until now this is the only Bill Bryson book that I have read and my advice to his publishers is this, 'Give it away freely to everyone,' for most of those who read it will come back wanting more. I now know so much about the planet after reading it that I plan to challenge Professor Hawking to a science quiz. Maybe I'll give that a little more thought. The only fault with this book is that science is quite often stranger than the fiction that often tries to parody it and when you speak with your friends about the things you have learned, many of them will think you are making it up. Take the angstrom for instance - you'll have to buy the book to understand it. So do just that my fellow book worms, buy this magnificent book.

From Acorns: How to Build a Brilliant Business
From Acorns: How to Build a Brilliant Business
by Caspian Woods
Price: 10.39

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration., 4 Nov 2007
Caspian Woods helps the budding entrepeneur take that big step with this wonderfully insightful book. As a man of business I have turned to 'From Acorns' on many an occassion when I have wondered if the effort is worthwhile and I have always found it a class leader at helping me keep the dream alive.
It also preaches quite a stoical philosophy on addressing some of the difficulties you might face and helps in putting these into a more accurate perspective.
On top of everything else, it remains eminently readable throughout.

Fork to Fork
Fork to Fork
by Sarah Don

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: Fork to Fork (Hardcover)
It is perhaps quite surprising that there aren't more books available that combine vegetable gardening with the art of cookery so it is a real pleasure that this, the pack leader is such a delight. The enthusiasm of Monty Don flows out from whatever he is doing at the time and there is no difference here in Fork to Fork.
Besides being a practical gardening book and organic to boot, and an inspirational kitchen guide, Fork to Fork is also a visual pleasure, packed with heartwarming garden photography that makes you want to rush outside and emulate.
There was also something else about this book that simply encourages you to take a deep breathe and slow down awhile.
A book that is simply delightful.

The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
The Simpsons Movie [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Dan Castellaneta
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, sweet Simpsons, 1 Nov 2007
It was the must see movie of the year for about 115% of the population and the rest were watching QVC or something so our clan went with oodles of anticipation and a large bag of peanut M & M's and a corset or two and some wet wipes in case our sides split at any point. Truth of the matter is that there were more than a number of occassions where I was holding my insides on the inside and long periods where I wasn't. Was I bored during the more storyfied bits? No. Did I wish there were one or two more great gags? Yes. Am I going to buy the DVD? Yes - but only because the kids will want to watch it about a thousand times and I'm sick of Spongebob. And it saves me having to play with them or read nasty books or recite poetry. Not to mention avoiding helping them with their spelling homework. D'oh! Only joking - I actually took photographs that time I took them to the park.

Crossroads [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Crossroads [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Ralph Macchio
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 3.41

4.0 out of 5 stars The search is over., 1 Nov 2007
Like many of the previous reviewers, I had searched many an old second hand shop for this film having been told to get it by a very strange guitarist. This guy loved this film and it's parallels with Johnson's own story and he could do a few tricks with a six string himself. Being left handed he could play that way, he could play right handed and he could play a right hand strung guitar upside down with his left hand. And I never hummed a tune he couldn't match as though he had played it all of his life. So when I eventually got hold of this version I was very pleased and I can honestly say that it is worthy of the time spent on it and then some. I could prattle on about Ry Cooder and Steve Vai or the legend behind it or how well suited the cast are to their parts but the fact is that the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

The Wicker Man - Special Edition Director's Cut (2 disc set) [DVD] [1973]
The Wicker Man - Special Edition Director's Cut (2 disc set) [DVD] [1973]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 14.74

4.0 out of 5 stars Critical moment in film making., 1 Nov 2007
The 4 stars I have given this version is almost unjustly harsh, for the movie itself and the characterisation of the actors is pure genius. The 4 stars are simply because some of the old film quality kept in for obvious reasons and I'm guessing beyond restoration, is very poor indeed. I accept that this couldn't be altered and thus as a product it is less than perfect. The movie itself though is truely magnificent. Whilst watching the heroes of other horror films you may jump with them and dive for cover when they do if no one else is watching, with this one you share every ounce of Edward Woodwards revulsion and disbelief as the mask of Summerisle is gradually lifted. Take the maypole dance. I watched and listened agog to the children and their teacher as they performed their annual rite. This fantastic bewilderment continues through to the very shocking climax where your skin will prickle with sympathy. Don't watch alone.

Salem's Lot [DVD]
Salem's Lot [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samantha Mathis
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 12.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised., 31 Oct 2007
This review is from: Salem's Lot [DVD] (DVD)
I was a real fan of the original movie and then the book. The wrong way round, I know, but I was only ten and then along came this. Now I really hoped for something brilliant but didn't quite get that. I expected absolute trash but didn't get that either. What I thought we got was a fairly faithful take on the book and a stand up good try at re-making what I think is the best horror flick of all time. I quite like modern re-makes because they give you something new even if it is just a change of cast - I watch stage plays with different casts all the time. Some are better than others but we don't suggest there should only ever be one version. So I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy Rob Lowe and his mates running around The Lot and giving me the chance to hide behind the furniture all over again. Go on, give it a chance.

'Salem's Lot
'Salem's Lot
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked on King., 31 Oct 2007
This review is from: 'Salem's Lot (Paperback)
My title for this review is 'Hooked on King'. I was after first watching the Tobe Hooper TV film of Salem's Lot and then reading the book as a terrified ten year old. Whilst I'm not so hooked on him now, I still return to Salem's Lot periodically for I felt, at least for a while, back in my childhood, that I really lived there, so real did this writer make the place.
I went up to the Marsten house with friends, and missing relatives tapped on my window while everyone slept begging, 'let me in.' I walked through the misty woodlands and took great care in crossing the stream, knowing that a slip would spell the sweetest of pains and Barlow.
I might return to The Lot soon. But will The Lot keep me this time.

Stephen King: Salem's Lot [DVD] [2005]
Stephen King: Salem's Lot [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ David Soul
Price: 3.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 31 Oct 2007
I remember watching this film as a young lad some 25 years ago and thinking that nothing else in the world could be as good or as scary. I had no idea who Mr. King was at the time but boy, I was about to. When anyone went into the Marston House in this movie I thought my chest was going to explode with fear and I lived the adventure with them. How could Ben Mears have even thought about moving in there? And then there was James Mason. My goodness, how on earth could he be so friendly and so sinister at the same time. And don't even get me started on Barlow. He haunts me even now.
It might have been 25 years ago when I first saw this but I have watched it countless times since and still shudder in the right places. This film and story leave you thinking that it is watching you and could still catch you by surprise.
I was far too young to be a King fan, but I begged my parents to let me read the books after watching this. How many more films make ten year old kids want to read?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2012 2:50 PM BST