Profile for Will Joseph > Reviews

Content by Will Joseph

Will Joseph "Universal adventurer - travelling the globe, eradicating fear and sadness; bringing joy to those who will choose happiness." (The universe is my oyster.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
300 [2007] [DVD]
300 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 2 Jun 2008
This review is from: 300 [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed this film as much as I have enjoyed any movie in quite a while, finding many aspects of the whole thing quite stunning. This new graphic comic tint as seen in a similar fashion in Sin City really grabs me and the sound effects were absolutely marvellous.
The other worldly characters and mysterious armies from over the ocean make this more than just a war film, adding depth and colour to the basic storyline.
The DVD is also crammed with a plethora of extras which are almost worth the price themselves, but rest assured, if you are new to the film, it will stay with you for sometime.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Wild Hogs [DVD]
Wild Hogs [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Travolta
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great family movie., 25 May 2008
This review is from: Wild Hogs [DVD] (DVD)
As a bike fan I wanted to watch this for the harleys, but do quite enjoy Tim Allen's antics in most of what he does but ended up being engrossed by a magic blend of characters headed up by John Travolta, Martin Lawrence, William H Macy, Tim Allen and the menacing Ray Liotta.
The story is more like a series of mini adventures bound together by a movie familiar; the road trip.
Roughly half way through the film we have the injection of The Del Fuego bike gang who fall somewhere between the nasties in 'From Dusk Till Dawn' and the gang from 'Every which way but loose.' The heavies decide to take on the four heroes for trying to pretend to be bikers and of course we have the inevitable slapstick violence which I enjoyed for it's wondeful comic timing and the interplay between the main protagonists.
Importantly here, our suburban adventurers, previously belittled for being just that, highlight that it is this very normality which makes them the men they are - not shirking the responsibilities of family and work and still able to follow a dream.
Three cheers for suburban dreamers...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2013 12:27 AM BST

Run, Fat Boy, Run [DVD]
Run, Fat Boy, Run [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable chuckle., 24 May 2008
This review is from: Run, Fat Boy, Run [DVD] (DVD)
I was reticent to watch this as part of family film night but was the eventual happy victim of pester power. After the kids and my wife had talked me round, I settled down with my popcorn and soon became engrossed in a movie full of friendly, fun characters with a somewhat familiar story, spiced up by the unlikely marathon runner. The asian guy and his daughter could well be given a movie of their own, so funny were they. One scene with this chap left me bursting with laughter - I won't spoil it here but it was pure comedy genius.
I am beginning to find myself a fan of Simon Pegg as I enjoy pretty much all that he does.
Hot Fuzz might well still be my favourite but this keeps the momentum going - Let's get another one out Simon.

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream
by Paulo Coelho

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh take on an old story, 21 May 2008
When I came to read The Alchemist, I was already aware that some people loved it while others had found it boring or without merit.
My own view is that it is well worth a read but don't expect Great Expectations or Hamlet. To be perfectly fair though, I doubt it translates into english as well as it reads in the original portuguese.
It is a simple story of a young man / boy receiving information about his dream and feeling the urge to follow it and the adventures that he encounters along the way.
Strangely enough, readers from England who might devour this book for mysterious, foriegn and esoteric answers about seeking and finding happiness can find the same story in a 15th century english tale that has some historical facts behind it.
This story is The Pedlar of Swaffham, but if you don't already know the end and wish to enjoy The Alchemist, don't look it up - the storyline and the ending are the same. Suffice it to say, the answers are nearer than you think.
Read the book but don't expect a literary masterpiece. Just enjoy the story and the characters and a far off land. Isn't that what reading is all about?

Star Trek: Conquest (Wii)
Star Trek: Conquest (Wii)
Offered by GAMEFORCE

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor board game with extras., 21 April 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I hate reviewing something with so low a score / rating, but this really isn't Star Trek. You are in command of next to nothing and have such little options in way of development.
I felt it took it's lead from the board game Risk and came up with something about half as good. We are in space and the play area is less than that of the aforementioned board game.
Ok - you can choose to fight the battles yourself. This is less fun than Asteroids.
I didn't like it. I don't recommend you buy it.

The Colour of Magic: The First  Discworld Novel: 1
The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel: 1
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars A joyous new journey., 21 April 2008
Having read about Terry Pratchett in the press a lot recently, I decided I'd give his Discworld series a bash and am I glad I did. In this first book in the series we meet the characters Rincewind and Twoflower in the city of Ankh-Morpork and follow them through a series of bizarre quests and adventures that take them to the very edge!
A few hours into the book I was calling my wife who was out shopping at the time and begging her to pick up the next installment as I feared I would finish this one and have nothing to help me continue my own Discworld foray.
Terry Pratchett has given me a momentous escape; another place to where I can escape for a while and live vicariously the fantasy within the books.
Dive in and smell the magic. Though that might be the aroma of the River Ankh. You'll soon recognise it.

Ewan McGregor And Charley Boorman - Long Way Round [Special Edition] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by claires_media_store

4.0 out of 5 stars The adventurer in us all., 11 Nov 2007
For anyone who has longed to walk the Penine Way or climb Machu Pichu or travel the world for a year, this DVD will help you live your adventuring dream from the comfort of your own armchair.
We follow the lads during all of the preparation, at home and at the office and experience all of their excitement, anger, trepidation, camaradarie and fun in roughly equal measures.
During the journey you will marvel at what they see and experience and feel that you have become a part of the journey with them.
Laugh and smile as you come across the helpful and the charitable and grip the sides of your seat as they traverse dangerous rivers and encounter the darker side of life.
My family are now enjoying The Long Way Down and will watch this one again when the new journey is over.

Will Joseph.

The Handbook (The Encheiridion) (HPC Philosophical Classics Series)
The Handbook (The Encheiridion) (HPC Philosophical Classics Series)
by Epictetus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction., 7 Nov 2007
This well translated little handbook explains clearly some of the fundamentals of stoicism. It will probably take you no more than an hour to read it all through the first time and then will remain with you as a source of easy reference for life.
Stoicism shares many aspects with modern CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) so this insight will also be interesting to practitioners and clients of CBT.
This is also part of the body of work that Stockdale used to maintain his sanity whilst held as P.O.W. in vietnam.

Edward The Great (The Greatest Hits)
Edward The Great (The Greatest Hits)
Offered by welbeck1

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands held to the sky., 5 Nov 2007
This is the without a shadow of a doubt The number of the great rock feast. I defy anyone to play this album without a scowl and a growl and an itch to raise mayhem.
Playing this album leaves me feeling invincible and starts the kids skidding round on the wooden floor playing air guitar as though their lives depended upon it.
This is an album to raise your kids on.
Tracks include:
The Trooper
The Number of the Beast
Can I Play with Madness?

Bat Out of Hell
Bat Out of Hell
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless work of art., 4 Nov 2007
This review is from: Bat Out of Hell (Audio CD)
I'll ask you a question. Why do people laugh when you say Meatloaf is your favourite performer? The music is great and listened to by as many people today as in the 70's. The song lyrics are perfect. The musicianship is top notch and Meat himself outshines almost any other performer I have seen or listened to. He acts as he sings as he feels and seems to me to be living each and every song as though that is all that ever mattered at that particular moment.
For me he has a voice that would grace any opera and performs the very best in driving music. Bat out of Hell itself is Meatloaf to the very core. I was about 8 when I first heard it and played the tape til' it melted. And it still sounded better than Brotherhood of Man. The words were telling me to explain things in descriptive detail and that emotions were to be worn on the sleeves of your black leather jacket. This album was where my own imagination was forged and where my relationship with non-rockers was destroyed.
I took the imagination to school where teachers were telling all the kids to use theirs in their writing and screaming at them when they day dreamed whilst looking out of the window - That's using imagination teachers. But because of Bat out of Hell I knew what my emotions were and and that one day I would tear past those pencil necks on a silver-black phantom bike and salute them all the way down the road.
If your kids are old enough to sing then throw out Bob the Builder music and buy them Bat out of Hell. Then stand back as their brains begin to dance.

Will Joseph.