Profile for TS Miers > Reviews

The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You
by Elaine N. Aron

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out guide, 2 July 2013
I found this book immensely helpful. It not only explains the concepts, but best of all incudes detailed tips on how to manage and lessen the impact of some of the issues that it deals with. Many things that I just thought of an innate rather annoying part of me I now realise comes from being HSP. I only wish there was a better title to the trait than HSP. Not a very easy thing to explain to someone..

"oh yes i'm sensitive" sounds a bit like you are saying how much more intuitive and in tune you are than pther people. I think it is a little misleading. Not to mention embarrassing. Just a glance at some of the facebook posts that this has led too... I think this trait would have been far more widely and openly received with a different label to it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Large Magnetic Fridge Chalkboard with White Liquid Chalk Pen MFCB3, 2 July 2013
This would have five stars, as it seems to be good quality, and the liquid chalk pen is brilliant...

but for one thing...

Many fridges have curved doors, and the magnetic strip is a rigid straight strip. It will not stick to my fridge... a pity as that was what it was bought for. Luckily enough with some thought I have placed it on the side of my filing cabinet. Problem solved. If you happen to have a nearby filing cabinet.

the reason for wanting a fridge chalk board ws to write notes for my son to see... he won;t see them on the filing cabinet so it is back to the drawing board. Still it is coming in handy for other things. I guess I need to buy blackboard paint for the front of the fridge after all.

2015 slim month to view black and red wall calendar
2015 slim month to view black and red wall calendar
Offered by best deal 4 u

3.0 out of 5 stars 2013 slim month to view black and red wall calendar, 2 July 2013
It is what it says - but far smaller than I expected or hoped. The spaces are really too small for a calender - there is little room to write anything much in there. With great care stuff could be written very small - but something hanging on a wall is not really conducive to writing very small and neat...

Getting Started with Spanish: Beginning Spanish for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age
by William Ernest Linney

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Started with Spanish, 2 July 2013
This book is fabulous. A really comprehensive guide to learning Spanish - for beginners. It includes everything you need to know bar pronounciation (I believe there is a CD included in some copies so even that is covered - but my copy did not include one sadly)

Brilliant book. If they ever consider making books ofr other languages with the same approach I reckon they will do extremely well!

Whether you want to learn it alone or with someone, or use it as a teaching aid (it really is perfect for homeschoolers who are learning as they teach. Exactly what it says it is. It's approach of varied repetition, whilst bringing in earlier lessons in little bits is perfect. It has massively increased my son's confidence and he is starting to realise that he really does get much more of it than he realised. And he does not really want to learn Spanish - it is the result of a deal we made. It is not easy to teach someone who is determined not to learn what you are teaching. It is working though!

We have not yet got to the end, but I think they would go far with writing the next stage along too.

Anyway it has taken my son and I a good way into learning Spanish together. If you want any extra help/ different approaches for variety I recommend getting accounts with the following websites (free) -

[...] (brilliant courses in many languages - fantastic resource. I never believed I could remember so much Spanish vocab so quickly)

[...] (additionally to the dictionary pages, if you sign up there is a free video course - very useful).

El pájaro verde (Edición de la Biblioteca Virtual Miguel de Cervantes) (Spanish Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars El Pajaro Verde, 2 July 2013
I would like to be able to read this book, but having downloaded it (with kindle for mac), it appears that there is nothing in it but a cover and blank pages. OK a free download, so no biggie, but I would still like to be able to read it! Any solutions?

Fellowes Crystals Gel Mouse Pad/Wrist Support - Blue
Fellowes Crystals Gel Mouse Pad/Wrist Support - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 1 Feb. 2012
Whilst this is a well made, good quality product, it is extremely frustrating to use due to its size. Even a standard sized mouse takes up a large part of the pad. I have problems with my wrists (which is why these supported mouse pads are produced, right?) so have to use an upright mouse, which is larger than a standard one. Any benefits of having my wrist supported seem to be negated by the need to constantly pick the mouse up to reposition it when I have reached the edge of the pad. I am waiting to see if I get used to it - but it has been a while and is not looking good. I will probably have to send it back to get a different one.

Dart
Dart
by Alice Oswald

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, I love it, I love it!, 13 July 2009
This review is from: Dart (Paperback)
I am surprised there are no other reviews for this as it is such a beautiful and inspiring book. I am an artist and it has transformed a new project (now in early stages).

The language is musical and evocative and makes you long to explore some of the places it describes (yes even at five in the morning with the moon shrouded in mist).

The whole book is one long piece, written in such an original and descriptive format, you feel a complete empathy with the river itself. I hear she turned down the post of Poet Laureate, an offer that she well deserved. Total respect!

The Times Hashi
The Times Hashi
by Puzzler Media Ltd Trevor Truran

3.0 out of 5 stars even super super difficult was super simple!, 28 Sept. 2007
This review is from: The Times Hashi (Paperback)
Well I was disappointed. They are enjoyable and hard in the Times but not in this book. It is puzzling (boom boom) that even the super difficult is just super large, and not the challenge to my thinking that I hope for. In fact after one or two it's just boring.

Disappointing - where do I take my newfound hashi addiction now???

Collins Thesaurus A-Z (Collins Complete and Unabridged)
Collins Thesaurus A-Z (Collins Complete and Unabridged)
by ""

2.0 out of 5 stars Many words missing., 17 Jan. 2007
I bought this for my mother for Christmas; she is a keen crossword enthusiast. Having read all the reviews carefully for all the thesauruses, I thought it was the answer. However, when we sat down together on Boxing Day to do the crossword, we were appalled at some of the gaping holes. According to this book, there is no such word as magma or octave (not in the musical terms list or under groups of eight). There are only about twenty shrubs listed (OK there are reasonably too many to include them all, but twenty??!!). The first six words we looked up were not in it at all!

I think that maybe a thesaurus organised this way just doesn't work, as any words in it have to be repeated again and again by every relevant entry, whereas the groupings in, for example, a Roget's mean that the words are only written twice - in the index and the reference page. Therefore there is more room for more vocabulary. What is the point of a thesaurus that misses out most of the language? My mother doesn't bother using it now. It is disappointing - an expensive mistake.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3