Profile for Peter WarrenRothwell > Reviews

Content by Peter WarrenRo...

Peter WarrenRothwell "PeteR" (Scotland)

A Field In England [Blu-ray]
A Field In England [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Julian Barratt

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'spellbinding' 'treasure' of a film., 3 Oct 2013
I must admit, I couldn't get my head around a lot of this film's themes and symbols after the initial viewing on it's simultaneous cross-platform release but I was riveted by it's imagery, drama, wit, performances and even score (I became an instant Blanck Mass fan). I knew I wanted to see it (several times) again and I felt that the cinematography was so good that Blu-Ray image quality was certainly justified. The included bonus material really helps to tell the story of the making of this, at times, truly artistic work and the feature commentary, from director Ben Wheatley and members of the crew, fills in the conceptual blanks that I had as a result of not being familiar with some of the mystical alchemy / folklore background from which the tale is conjured. The final message of the film, about what we value in life, is simple enough; it's the twists and turns along its journey that fascinate. This is a bizarre, haunting and entertaining bubbling cauldron of a film, rich and considered enough to reward multiple viewings and I'm still finding new things to enjoy about it each time I see it.

Tree of Life
Tree of Life

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart tune with a smart message, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Tree of Life (MP3 Download)
This is my favourite track on the album, although it has a distinctly different feel to the rap & hip/hop style more usual for Kellee's music. I suppose you might say this is more of a trance, dance or electronic track and I find it flows right through me, carrying it's repeated message of being concerned for the world we live in like a mantra. Kellee's voice really lends itself to this style and I'd love to hear more of it from her.

The Dark Knight (Two Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
The Dark Knight (Two Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by Lifes Essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbingly Dark, 3 Mar 2009
It is not often the case that the sequel is as good as, if not better than the original, but "The Dark Knight." is definitely a worthy successor to "Batman Begins". Words of warning though, pay attention to the certificate! Don't be one of those parents that let their eight-year-old watch this film and is then surprised that their child has nightmares. This is a very dark tale! Heath Ledger's well-deserved posthumous multiple awards, for his portrayal of The Joker, creates memorable and disturbing scenes, suggestive of deeply cruel violence; stealing every scene he is in. Christian Bale, as Batman, takes the story of our hero from triumph to tragedy; supported by excellent performances from Michael Cane and Morgan Freeman amongst others. But, of course, this is much more than intense drama. The special effects are stunning and the action will leave you breathless. The filmmakers have paid attention to every detail of the visuals and soundtrack to make this DVD worth watching many times over to pick up on everything that they achieved. If that is not enough for you, the second disk of features will probably give you all the information you could wish for about the making of the film. This two-disk release is well worth adding to your collection.