Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Content by prisrob
Top Reviewer Ranking: 32

prisrob "pris," (New England USA)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belazu White Balsamic Condiment Bottle 250 ml (Pack of 2)
Belazu White Balsamic Condiment Bottle 250 ml (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Balsamic Vinegar, 18 Sep 2014
Everyone needs a good balsamic vinegar for salads and for cooking. You can run the gamut from a few dollars to many dollars. When I wanted a good balsamic vinegar at a reasonable price I looked at the reviews on Amazon. You really can't go wrong here.nthe vinegar us quite good, and much more reasonable than what you might find at the market.

This is a recipe by Jessica Seinfeld for Balsamic Vinegar and Artichokes - delicious!

ingredients
4 globe artichokes
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
to taste kosher salt
to taste freshly ground black pepper

directions
Using a serrated knife, cut off the top quarter of the artichokes. Trim the end of the stem and remove the tough small leaves that are attached to it. Use scissors to snip the remaining thorns from the ends of the leaves.

Fill a large saucepan with 2 inches of water and fit it with a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil. Place the artichokes in the basket, cover and steam until the base is tender and can be easily pierced to the center with a paring knife, 30 to 35 minutes. Be sure to occasionally check the water level to make sure it hasn’t evaporated.

Divide the olive oil and balsamic (1 tablespoon each) into 4 small bowls. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper to taste. Serve alongside the artichokes for dipping.

Recommended. prisrob 09-17-14

The Godfather [DVD]
The Godfather [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marlon Brando
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars R-E-S-P-E-CT, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Godfather [DVD] (DVD)
After finishing Robert De Niro's new biography, I had great impetus to re-view done of his films. Godfather Part II was offered to De Niro to play Vito Corleone.a superb performance, all spoken in a soft Sicilian tone. He won tgecAcademy Award for this performance.

However, the performance by Al Pacino as Vito 's son, Michael, is mesmerizing. Why he did not win an award for this performance I have no idea. The story of Godfather Part II is about the opening chapters in Don Vito’s life. His family is killed by a Mafia don in Sicily, he comes to America at early age, he grows up , and moves into a career of crime.

The story, of Don Vito’s younger days is but a small part if this film. The director, Coppola, devotes the rest to Michael Corleone, who has taken over the family’s business after his father’s death. He has consolidated operations in Nevada, and wants to expand in Florida and Cuba. Michael is played, again and brilliantly, by Al Pacino. Robert Duvall, plays Tom Hagen, the family’s lawyer; Diane Keaton as Michael’s wife Kay; and John Cazale as the weak older brother Fredo. These are such superb performances in all aspects. The music sweeps us up, and who could forget the music. Whenever you hear those opening chords, the Godfather comes to mind. A brilliant, brilliant film. It us so much better the third time.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 09-17-14

The Good Shepherd [DVD]
The Good Shepherd [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Lives Of Spies, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Good Shepherd [DVD] (DVD)
After reading a new biography of Robert De Niro, I was anxious to re-view De Niro 's directorial debut, 'The Good Shepherd'. It is as I had first thought a first rate film. However, for those not entrenched in the 'spy' folklore, it may not be as exciting. Indeed.

Matt Damon plays Edward Wilson, one of the first CIA operatives, and the story is a takeoff of a real person. We meet Edward as the Bay Of Pigs debacle is taking place. We then move back to Edward's time at Yale, his initiation to a secret club for WASPS. This leads him to the secret service life in England during the War. Before he leaves Yale, he meets Angelina Jolie,who he impregnates, marries, leaves fir 6 years while he is secreting in England. They have the child, a boy, who Edward meets when Jr is 6. The marriage is not good, strangers in the night, so to speak.

Edward moves into the CIA at the behest of the big guy who has the ears of Washington. Life becomes work all the time. Not much time for the boy. Russian spies and secrets. This is a fabulous look at the CIA and the secret agent man. The ins and outs, the secrets. Matt Damon is superb as the gaunt, humorless Edward Wilson. All work and no play makes a dull boy. I wish the film had become a hit, but it is almost three hours long, too dull for most people. I loved it.

Recommended. prisrob 09-16-14

Jack Taylor: Collection One [DVD]
Jack Taylor: Collection One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Iain Glen

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Redeeming Value, 16 Sep 2014
This is a series that has escaped me. I am a mystery/police procedural buff, so finally took a look. Jack Taylor is a rough, tough Irishman, who looks the part of someone in trouble.

Iain Glen plays, Jack Taylor, a new private detective, after being 'let go' from the Garda. In Galway there is not much to do, and with his old Garda long wool coat, Taylor seems to pick up the rough stuff of crimes. Sometimes he walks into the midst of a crime, or sometimes he saves a damsel in distress. Whatever occurs, the scruffy Taylor always looks like he just rolled out of bed. His body must be bruised and torn after the beatings, gunshots and miscellaneous harm he comes into. His clients are often the downtrodden and those who need his help the most, so he dies have some redeeming values.

I did find it difficult to sit through an entire episode without fast forwarding at times. The pace is often slow, the storylines similar in nature. The redeeming feature is the sights and sounds of Galway.

Recommended For Some. prisrob 09-16-14

Tapeffiti Awesome Robots Tape Set (1 Pack of 6 Decorative Mini-Tapes)
Tapeffiti Awesome Robots Tape Set (1 Pack of 6 Decorative Mini-Tapes)
Offered by ToysDiva

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Patterns and Projects, 16 Sep 2014
My granddaughter is very creative and loves to do 'crafts'. As a back to school gift I gave her this Fashion Angels Tapeffiti 30pc Caddy. As stated there are 30 different patterns to use on mini dispensers. My granddaughter has used these for all types of games and fun with her friends.

This Tapeffiti sticks to any surface, you can remove it and use it again. This sits in my granddaughter's bedroom, so that it is convenient for her to use. She wraps packages with the tape, makes picture frames using the tape, wraps her school binders with the tape, accessories her pencils and notebooks, and has decorated parts of her bedroom with these tapes.

There are many patterns, and she and her friends have such a good time thinking up new projects. I am so pleased that she has enjoyed this kit.

Recommended. prisrob 09-15-14

Irene Huss: Episodes 4-6 [DVD] [1998] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Irene Huss: Episodes 4-6 [DVD] [1998] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Eric Ericson
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Swedish Violent Crime Unit, 16 Sep 2014
Irene Huss is a mother of twin teenage girls and a Detective Inspector with the Violent Crimes Unit. Her husband, Krister, is a chef in a restaurant he co-owns. He sholders a fair share of the household tasks, which is a good thing, since Irene us always called out To investigate a new murder. At the Violent Crimes Unit in Gothenburg, Sweden, Irene deals with a multitude of terrible crimes from international serial killers to psychotic young girls.

In Season 2, there are 6 episodes, most of them very violent and full of crimes that sicken. Many of them seem to be sexual in nature, involving young girls. Sweden must be a gateway to trafficking in young women who are bought and sold. Irene, played by Angela Kovacs, is a woman with a lot of compassion, but she digs right into each case. A lot of shots of her practicing her jujitsu, and, we sometimes see her use these skills. Her children seem level,headed, her husband a really good guy, who we see is very trusting, and sometimes is taken advantage of.

This is a very well done series. I like the characters, the crimes sometimes much too violent for me, but i can overlook that.

Recommended. prisrob 09-15-14

Words & Pictures  [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Words & Pictures [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Dvd ~ Clive Owen
Offered by Moref Designs

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 15 Sep 2014
Clive Owen and Juliette Binoche make a marvelous team, chemistry is there, but in this film the chemistry is the better part of valor. They both play aging artists in their own fields, now relegated to teaching at a prep school. Juliette plays Dina Dagastino a popular artist, now afflicted with Rheumatoid Arthritis that affects her painting skills, now teaching Honors Art. Owen, Jack, is a former writer/poet, an alcoholic, teaching Honors English. Both are superb in their teaching and in their craft.

Dagastino, known as a cold woman without emotion, believes words are lies. To Jack, this is not acceptable and charges Dagastino and their Honors students to a match. This is what enlivens the school and the couple. Such a well acted film, both actors so believable in their roles. Why this did not make the mainstream I guess is its romantic interlude. The ending is a disappointment to me, but the film held up well.

Recommended. prisrob 09-14-14

New Balance Mens M480BL4 Running Shoes
New Balance Mens M480BL4 Running Shoes
Price: £44.99 - £85.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, Good Support, 14 Sep 2014
My podiatrist recommended New Balance, and I was lucky enough to find these on Amazon's Gold Pick of the day at a reduced price. My right foot is larger and wider than my left foot due to an injury, so I have difficulty at times finding a good fit. These are light weight with good support and padding. Over 60 years of age I need padding under the ball of my foot as I have arthritis. I can do a few miles on the treadmill or on a walk, and it is not painful.

They are stylish and fun without being over the top. Just enough color to make you feel good about wearing them. The soles are flexible enough that your foot can move naturally but not so flexible that you feel like there is no support. The toe is very wide on the wide sizes and fits my foot perfectly without looking overly bulky. The upper is pretty soft and flexible so my foot really feels good when I'm wearing these.

These shoes are comfortable, I have a good fit, and the support is just what I need.

Recommended. prisrob 09-13-14

Perfect Formula Clear Gel Coat 18ml
Perfect Formula Clear Gel Coat 18ml
Offered by Two Silly Children

4.0 out of 5 stars Best For Long Lasting Manicure, 14 Sep 2014
I received this formula gel coat as a gift, and when I went to purchase it, I was aghast at the price, this is a very small bottle, 0.6 oz. I waited for a set on QVC and found one that included this gel coat. Manicure Gel Coat has become a basic for me. It is an excellent primer before you polish your nails and a good top coat. It is as shiny a finish as I normally like, and it does a great job in helping my manicure to last longer.

Manicure Gel Coat creates a coating over natural nails that nail polish can effectively adhere to. It acts as a primer and sealer to help prevent wear and chipping of my nail polish. I apply one coat of Perfect Formula Gel Coat to my nails. Next, I apply two coats of my favorite nail polish, and then apply The Gel,Coat over the nail polish.

This is the best manicure gel coats I have used. My manicure and color lasts a good week or more. My nails also look professionally done. I have a professional manicure every 3-4 weeks.

Recommended. prisrob 09-14-14

Garofalo Whole Wheat Organic Spaghetti 500g (Pack of4)
Garofalo Whole Wheat Organic Spaghetti 500g (Pack of4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious And Nutritious, 14 Sep 2014
This is excellent pasta. It us not chewy nor tough. It has the right amount of taste, and it us easy to prepare. I used it in a new recipe I found from Jessica Seinfeld's website. Pasta With Cauliflower. It is delicious and nutritious. Try it.

ingredients
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

directions
Heat the oven (with oven rack in the middle) to 425°F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Cut the cauliflower into bite-size florets; discard the stem. Place in a colander and pass under cold running water to wash. Transfer to a rimmed sheet pan.

Chop the garlic and add to the pan. Drizzle everything with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper (about 12 turns on pepper mill). Toss together with your hands and spread into a single layer.

Roast for 15 minutes, pull the pan out of the oven and turn the cauliflower with a spatula. Return to the oven to finish cooking until golden brown and tender, 10 to 15 minutes more.

Is the water boiling yet? Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, chop the parsley and grate the cheese (if not already pre-grated).

Once the pasta is al dente, use a liquid measuring cup to scoop out 3/4 cup of the pasta water from the pot and set aside. Then, drain the pasta and the rest of the water into the colander. Return the pasta to the pot along reserved pasta water. Turn the heat on to low. Sprinkle in the Parmesan and stir until it melts and coats the pasta. Remove from the heat and stir in the roasted cauliflower, chopped parsley, and red pepper. Taste to see if it needs more salt before serving.

Recommended. prisrob 09-13-14