Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Content by prisrob
Top Reviewer Ranking: 26

prisrob "pris," (New England USA)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oliver and Jumpy, Introduction to the Series (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)
Oliver and Jumpy, Introduction to the Series (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting New Friends, 30 Jan. 2015
Do you like friends? Do you have a lot of friends? Most people have one or two good friends test they can share everything with.

This is the most excellent introduction to Oliver and Jumpy. Oliver is a very handsome tomcat, his coat us all black with a white stomach and mouth. He is a friendly fellow and lives in a wonderful tree house. He has many friends, and in this book we get to meet them. Jumpy is his best friend, she has a pocket where she keeps her babies, she is a kangaroo. When you read this book, you will see the rest of the stories. Parents/teachers will,enjoy reading this book to their children. Children will learn a great deal about different kinds of animals. The illustrations are bright and vivid depicting all if O,iver's friends, and some if the fun times. The author, Werner Stejskal, has written a fun book and young children will enjoy the series.

Recommended. prisrob 01-29-15

Thorne: Sleepyhead/Scaredy Cat
Thorne: Sleepyhead/Scaredy Cat

4.0 out of 5 stars Split, 29 Jan. 2015
David Morrissey continues his work as a detective in a police force in England. After his last big case, where he fought off his colleague who wanted him to fail, his best friend, pathologist, with whom he had a disagreement, he moves on.

Sandra Oh, lately from a Shondra Rhyme, series in the US. She plays Thorne's sidekick, who has a lot to learn, and should stay away from that cocaine. She wants to improve her lot in life, and be the best policewoman around. However, she is working with the best there is, Thorne. He has premonitions about murderers and specializes in serial killers. After each murder, he can visualize the murder in his mind's eye. In this particular case, he finds a little boy who has been hiding in a kitchen closet for two days after the murder of his mother. He becomes attached to this boy, Charlie, and Charlie attached to him. Now he must find the murderers, and there may be more than one.

Thorne is a tough guy,moody, sees life in black and white, and he rarely smiles. He does, however,give thanks for a job well done, and that is something you do not see often.

Thorne Sleepyhead
Thorne Sleepyhead
Dvd ~ David Morrissey
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Locked In, 29 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Thorne Sleepyhead (DVD)
This is one of the more interesting police/mystery/ procedural films I have seen. I am sorry I have passed it by previously. What we have is a detective who is so good that one of his colleagues can't take his stardom, and tries to undo everything he can to bring his colleague down.

Tom Thorne, played by David Morrissey, is this detective having fairly recently solved a big serial killer case. Thorne's status affects everyone he works with, particularly, Kevin Tughan, plated by Eddie Marsan. Marsan is one of those character actors you see all the time in the British films and TV series. A new series of bodies start piling up, found on a hunch by the pathologist and Thorne. A fourth victim is found, not dead but paralyzed with "locked in syndrome". This means she can see and hear everything around her,but she cannot speak or move anything at all. A ventilator breathes for her. She is the only witness, and eventually she learns to communicate via blinking her eyes.

This is a tension filled film through three episodes. On Netflix the episodes are all put together for us, and they flow very well. The characters are very real, well developed, and Morrissey in particular, shines in his role. Dark, brooding, not much of a personality. He reminded me of someone on the Asperber's scale. Not much emotion, a loner, but he does want relationships. His colleague,Tughan, who is jealous of Thorne's success is also very well done. I disliked him immensely.

A tv series very worth watching.

Recommended. prisrob 01-28-15

Aluminium Baking Sheet Pan Tray - 320 x 215 x 20mm - Ideal for the home or professional kitchen
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For Strudel, 28 Jan. 2015
My baking sheet pans have seen much wear and tear. I am replacing them one at a time. I have looked at the baking catalogues, and then I looked at the pans offered on Amazon. This sheet pan came closest to the pans in the catalogue. This is a pan that wears well. America's Cook Kitchen suggests an aluminum pan for best even baking coverage. I always use parchment paper, and then hand wash the pan after use. You can put it in the dishwasher, but I find I have better results with hand washing.

This is a favorite recipe, that is simple but delicious.

Apple Strudel by Martha Stewart

3 pounds Gala or Fuji apples (about 6), peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees; line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. On a lightly floured work surface, unfold pastry; roll out to a 12-by-14-inch rectangle. Place on sheet; refrigerate.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium; reserve 1 tablespoon in a small bowl. To skillet, add apples, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, tossing occasionally, until apples are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Spread filling on a second rimmed baking sheet; let cool completely.
With one short side of dough facing you, mound filling horizontally in a strip across the center, leaving a 1-inch border on both long sides. Fold top part, then bottom part of dough over filling. Turn pastry over, seam side down.
Brush pastry with reserved melted butter; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a paring knife, cut steam vents in center of pastry. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

My Old Lady [DVD]
My Old Lady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maggie Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Father Where Art Thou, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: My Old Lady [DVD] (DVD)
In the first third of this film, I thought, oh no, this is going to turn into one trite scene after another. However, I was so wrong, and it turned into a much better film than I thought. Kevin Kline plays Mathias, a son come to Paris to find his inheritance. What he finds is quite a situation.

Dame Maggie Smith plays the 92 year old grande dame of the apartment that belongs to Mathias. Her daughter, Kristin Scott Thomas, plays her daughter. Mother, daughter dislike Mathias at first for a reason, and he is confused through most of the film. I found Kevin Line's acting like an alcoholic a little over the top. Drinking wine from the bottle did not seem natural to him in this film. Dame Smith always the trouper, and superb actress, always on, and ready for action. She looked her age, but don't we all. The title of the film is a little off, unless you think of both Kline and Thomas referring to their mothers. Neither, I think would refer to their mothers as old ladies.

A film that opens up many secrets and old wounds, well done.

Wilton Performance Sheet Cake Pan 12"X18"X2" W2105182
Wilton Performance Sheet Cake Pan 12"X18"X2" W2105182
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cake Pan, 27 Jan. 2015
My family loves my baking, and every once in a while I find that I need a new pan. The latest recipe calked for a cake sheet pan, and I did not have one. Off to my trusty Amazon, where I perused all the pans and chose this one with its five star ratings and excellent reviews. This is made of aluminum which will not rust, and the product bakes evenly. I wash this by hand,but you could put it in the dishwasher. The pan dimensions are 17.88 x 13 x 2 inches and interior dimensions 16.38 x 11.38 x 2 inches. I have included the new cake recipe,and it is delicious.

Coconut Cake
To his cake literally MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH!!! It is beyond delicious and super simple to make! One of my favorite cake recipes to date!
Author: Nikki
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Additional Ingredients
Sweetened Shredded Coconut for topping
INSTRUCTIONS
In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and sugar. Set aside.
In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water, and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition. Stir in coconut.
Pour into a greased 18x13x1 inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Coconut Frosting
Bring combine butter and milk bring to a boil, stir in powdered sugar and coconut extract until smooth.
After cake has cooked, remove from oven and poke holes in hot cake with a fork. Pour frosting evenly over the top.
Sprinkle top of cake with shredded coconut.

Dead Lions
Dead Lions
by Mick Herron

4.0 out of 5 stars What We Need Is A Cat, 27 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dead Lions (Paperback)
Mick Herron is a superb mystery/ spy/ writer. His novels take us to the secret alleys of MI-5. I just finished his latest book, 'No One Walks Away', and was so impressed with his writing and the stories he tells.

' Dead Lions ' in the title is a reference to a child's game. In this game the children lie down as still as they can and pretend to be dead. The one child left attempts to get them to move or make a noise, until they suddenly come to life. This is also a reference to a certain group of spies who settle, become quiet for a period of time, and then awaken suddenly for a certain project. This story revolves around the a Dead Lion.

Slough House is a place for wayward MI-5 agents. Those who did somebody wrong, make a bad, bad mistake, had an affair that did not go down well, became an alcoholic, which was a fear they could let secrets out, because really many MI-5 agents drink and smoke a lot. That is a trade mark of sorts. The people sent to Slough House are intelligent and wise, they made a blunder ,but not the kind that could get them fired. They were sent to Slough House to do repetitive work., in hopes they would become so bored, they would quit. Not the present group, they were all looking for the big case, and Jackson Lamb who was the leader of Slough House, had come across a case that needed to be solved quickly. This is a storyline that moves slowly at times and then revs up. I do believe that his present book is one of the best I have read, but this is a wonderful beginning. Getting to know the people who populate the MI-5, is necessary to understand the workings of this agency. Like our CIA, politics runs the day, but if I had a choice, I would go for the MI-5.

The author, Mick Herron, either has a background as an agent or knows someone who is, because he is privy to the inner workings of a spy. His characters are wonderfully delicious, all of them with particular inadequacies or peccadilloes. The story lines are all realistic if somewhat overblown, but we can believe them. Once you start reading, don't expect to put the book down.

Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Repeater
Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Repeater
Offered by Securifi Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Easiest Set-up Of All, 25 Jan. 2015
My internet connection failed twice this month for my computer and phone, but not for my IPad, and this last time the tech support person suggested it might be my router. My son is a computer architect, and he suggested the Securifi Almond Touchcscreen. I ordered it from Amazon, and it arrived today.

Since I had difficulty maintaining a wifi connection, I was a bit leery about trying a new router. I took it out of the box, read the minimal directions and thought uh oh. However, I followed the simple directions and in 3 minutes I was fully connected. This is the easiest wifi connection I have had. It is compatible with my computer, IPad, iPhone, and kindle, and within a few more minutes all were connected. I am a very happy camper. The touchscreen directions are a real plus. If you can read, you can follow the directions and set up. I certainly would recommend this router to everyone. The router itself, is small, and very attractive. The touchscreen has all the information you need. Just click on the screen and you can find anything you are looking for. Tech support is available via phone or computer.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 01-25-15

Still Life: A Three Pines Mystery [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Still Life: A Three Pines Mystery [DVD] [2013] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Gabriel Hogan
Offered by supermart_usa

3.0 out of 5 stars Shot An Arrow In The Air, 25 Jan. 2015
Louise Penny has been on my cloud, but have never read her books. I saw Nathaniel Parker's name attached to this film, and I knew him from Inspector Lynley's films. However, he always seemed a little too wooden for me, and he encapsulates that persona in this film.

Out of the blue it seems, CI Gamache appears with his retinue into this tiny hamlet. A local teacher has been killed, and it takes an army to find her killer. It appears that Gamache directs traffic, and sits around reading much of the time, while his henchmen and woman do the real work. He gets off track at times, and is relieved of his position by phone. Anthony Lemike, who plays Inspector Beauvoir, takes over in this Eastern Quebec province, and with the assistance of Gamache solves the crime. No police force, so they take over an extra dining room. All evidence points to an archery club and and some kind of deft arrow. The townspeople, most of them, are caring and all loved the dead teacher.

What this film has going for it, is the beautiful scenery in Fall. Reminds me of New England, in its beauty. Other than that fans of Louise Penney may like this film, not so much for me.

Recommended For Some. prisrob 01-24-15

Le Teint Touche Éclat foundation Br20
Le Teint Touche Éclat foundation Br20
Offered by FD SUPPLIES

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Foundation, 24 Jan. 2015
The Yves Saint Laurent Le Teint Touche is the best foundation I have used. The Rose Beige perfectly matches my skin. It is very difficult to obtain a foundation color match that is perfect for your skin tone, and this is the closet color match I have had.

Shake the bottle well, pump one or two drops, and apply to skin after moisturizing. You can spread the foundation with a brush or with your fingers. I find I have a smoother and better coverage using a brush. This foundation is light and smooths onto the skin with ease. It only takes a small amount for full coverage. Check well to make sure your neck and near your ear lobes are covered. I usually apply check color and then a defining and shine with a brush. I have a beautiful coverage with this foundation that lasts the entire day. There is no clumping or streaking or fading.

The foundation may be more expensive than others you have used, but you use such a small amount that it will last for a long time. There is a fresh, clean scent with this foundation that is very pleasant. I would suggest visiting a Yves Saint Laurent make up counter to find the best match for your foundation, but then you can purchase on line.

Recommended. prisrob 01-23-15