Profile for prisrob > Reviews

Content by prisrob
Top Reviewer Ranking: 19

prisrob "pris," (New England USA)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bearded
Bearded

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Chin, 23 July 2016
This review is from: Bearded (Kindle Edition)
Do you know anyone with a beard? Do you know what a beard is?

The author, Jeremy Billups, has written a fun story about a bear with a beard. Many people think a bear with a beard is strange, but the little person accompanying thus bearded bear shows us the opposite. They visit all kinds of places in the world, and they meet very interesting people and animals. When you read this book you will discover what happens on these adventures.

Parents and teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will love the fun and silliness of the story. The illustrations by the author are bright, vivid and colorful. A wonderful book with a new kind of storyline that will be of interest to everyone.

Recommended. prisrob 07-23-16

I, Anna [DVD]
I, Anna [DVD]
Dvd ~ Charlotte Rampling
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Who Is Anna?, 22 July 2016
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
I, Anna, is a film that is difficult to explain. The true beauty of this film is the actress, Charlotte Rumpling. Her son is the director, and he chose wisely. Anna plays a divorced
Woman trying to find her new life. Middle aged, she attends a speed dating event, which surprises me no end. What happens at this event is the impetus for the entire film.

Gabriel Byrne plays a police inspector/detective,investigating a gruesome murder, which is difficult to follow because he does not act like any detective I have ever seen.
Eddie Marsan, a man you see in most UK films and series, plays Byrne's underling, and he is more like a detective. Byrne's character runs into Anna and becomes attracted until something dies not ring true.

This film works backwards and it is a long, slow slog. Until the final twist, we are not sure what the film is about, and by that time it is too late. The acting is superb, the only saving grace.

Recommended At Times. prisrob 07-22-16

The Zebra Said Shhh
The Zebra Said Shhh
by M. R. Nelson

5.0 out of 5 stars Off To Dreamland, 21 July 2016
This review is from: The Zebra Said Shhh (Paperback)
Do you go to sleep easily? Do your mom and dad have to remind you it is time for sleep?

The author, M.R. Nelson, has written a fun book for bedtime reading. At the zoo, the Zebra was ready to go to sleep, but all the buzzing kept him awake. He said to the monkey, lion, and parrot, shhh,mint us time for sleep. The zebra was very tired, but the hippotamus and the giraffe were not ready for sleep. One by one he went to each animal in the zoo to ask them to go to sleep. When you read this book, you will find out what happens.

Parents and teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. It uses soothing words, and gives the children permission to close their eyes and drift off to dreamland. The illustrations by Tamia Sheldon are creative, bright and colorful. They depict each animal, and his activity in the zoo. Children of three and four will find this book just right for them.

Recommended. prisrob 07-21-16

Diva Professional Styling Veloce 3800 Pro Rubberised Red
Diva Professional Styling Veloce 3800 Pro Rubberised Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Less Frizz In This Hot Humid Summer, 21 July 2016
This summer has been one of high heat and high humidity. If you have anything but short hair, you are sure to have frizz emanating from your hair. In need of a new hair dryer, this fit the bill.

I have never owned a hot pink hair dryer, but this one is nice looking, sleek and slim. This hairdryer has the ionic capabilities. "Ionic dryers that emit negative ions cause globs of H2O molecules to divide into smaller particles that evaporate faster, says Edward Borish, Ph.D., a chemist in Columbus, Ohio. The result is less frying time. The ions react to the water not the hair." Wiki. This also helps with reducing frizz, and you have smoother hair. The hairdryer has 3 heat levels, and 2 speed settings. This is not the most powerful hairdryer, but it is very good. It dries hair faster, and does leave it smoother. Hair dryers are a necessity, and this Heat Frizz Fighter works well for me. I share it with my daughter, and she has very long hair. She is pleased with the results she achieves from this hairdryer.

Recommended. prisrob 07-21-16

Spot the Duck: A Silly Rhyming Picture Book for Children
Spot the Duck: A Silly Rhyming Picture Book for Children

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuck and His Duck, Spot, 20 July 2016
Have you ever lost a favorite thing? Did you ever find it?

The author, Gerald Hawksley, has written a very silly, fun book. It seems Chuck has lost his duck, named Spot. He has looked evetywhere, here and there and up and down. He came across Jen who had lost her hen. Chuck found the hen on Jen's head. Then Chuck met Matt who lost his cat. Chuck helped Matt find his cat, but where oh where was Chuck's lost duck, Spot? When you read this story you will find out what happened.

Parents and teachers will enjoy reading this book to their children. The children will love the rhymes, and the silly story. The illustrations by the author, Gerald Hawksley are bright, vivid and colorful. They depict the adventures of Chuck and all the people he meets. This is a lovely story for young children.

Recommended. prisrob 07-20-16

Toiletry Bags, MrPro Waterproof Travel Kit Organization Bathroom Storage Cosmetic Bag Carry Case with Hanging Hook for Travel/ Sport/ Trip/ Camp (Polka Dot Blue)
Offered by Betterman Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Space Enough For The Family, 19 July 2016
When ordering this cosmetics bag, I knew what I was getting. I had an older one from LLBean that I used to threads. I don't fill the bag with cosmetics on my travels, but I do put unwashed items in the lowest zippered pocket ion my return home. I also use this to pack purchased items for my trip home.

This can hang over the bathroom door for easy use and placement. It is out of the way, but convenient to take out items you need right away. All of my cosmetics and bathroom products are neatly organized. There are 4 zipped bags, that are convenient to open. Thus bag is also washable, so if anything spills no damage. You can fit your entire family's needs into this case if need be. Lots of toothbrushes, deodorant, whatever is needed.

Recommended. prisrob 07-19-16

TP-LINK TL-PA8030PKIT AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Pass-through Powerline Adapter Starter Kit (1200 Mbps, Multiple HD Streams and No Configuration Required) - 2 Units Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy On and Off, 19 July 2016
Alexa my Amazon Echo has been with me for a couple of years. We speak daily, and I was hoping for more control. I ordered the TP-Link Smart Plug on Amazon Prime Day sale and received an excellent deal.

The first time I tried to connect with wifi, Comcast was down in the entire. No go, but it gave me a chance to completely read the instruction booklet, and i had a better idea of what the Smart Plug could do. The next day was a go. I downloaded the Kasa app. I had read another review that gave me more information, and I felt ready. The set up was very easy, particularly when I completely understood how to connect, what to expect and to read all of the information. Once installed, my Alexa can power my lights on and off at my selected times. I like that my light in the living room will come in in the evening even when I am not at home, and it will turn off in the early morning. This gives me a sense of security.

My son loves electronics, he has purchased a new home, and this will be a house warming surprise for him. I know he will like it as much as I do.

Recommended. prisrob 07-18-16

Grunt: The Curious Science of Humans at War (Thorndike Press Large Print Popular and Narrative Nonfiction Series)
by Mary Roach

5.0 out of 5 stars The Science Behind A Solder's Most Challenging Adversaries, 18 July 2016
"The term "grunt" is used in the military as a general term for someone who's MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) is "Infantry". In the Marine Corps all MOS' preceeded by the number "03" are Infantry. About as "grunt" as you can get in the Corps is "0311 - Basic Rifleman". Urban Dictionary

Mary Roach writes some of the best books about subjects we never knew we needed to know more about. My favorite book is 'Gulp' which follows the process of food in the mouth to the end. As a health professional I thought I knew it all, alas I was way off.

This book, 'Grunt' is about the science of war. The author inserts herself into the research facilities and intelligentsia of the military. She works right along with the scientists and the agents testing how desert heat can disable, how diarrhea can become a side effect of many elite corps where fresh water and food are missing. We read about the mishaps of the research and his the Grunts deal with what they are given. One of the most revealing chapters deals with the urinary and private parts of the Grunts who suffer severe disabilities after an IED expulsion. The milItaly is a forerunner of transplants in this area.

Mary Roach is inquisitive, and she has the knack of making most everyone feel at ease while revealing their most private thoughts. The military has been at the forefront of new and innovative medical care with soldiers, and this translates back to the states. We have much to thank them for. The Golden Hour after trauma, new substances in place if blood for transfusion and on and on. The autopsies done on our soldiers in war, and in this case, Afghanistan, bring us new and important information.

The stories are told with wit and humor. The author understood she could be a PIA for the people she was working with, but they urged her in and made room for more. An important book for anyone who wonders what the military is up to.

Recommended. prisrob 07-17-16

Impressions Executive 3000 Series Wrinkle Resistant Crocodile Sheet Set, Lilac, Queen Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy To Use, Easy To Wash, 17 July 2016
These are ultra-comfy sheets. The thread-count cotton sheets with Wrinkle Defense(TM) are designed for softness and easy care. Even after 10 washings, this set still is soft soft. Count on a good night every night with bedding that looks as great as it feels.

The bottom sheet fits extremely well. The top sheet is luxurious with more length than usual. I received four pillow cases. So soft, easy to wash.

Recommended. prisrob 07-17-16

Marshmallow Fluff - Large 454g
Marshmallow Fluff - Large 454g
Offered by JW82 Enterprises

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Filling For Whoopie Pies, 17 July 2016
Marshmallow Fluff must be an East coast kind of thing. I was in Oregon and could not find it. My children used to love fufferniutter sandwiches, marshmallow fluff and peanut butter. I grew up with those sandwiches also, but I don't use marshmallow fluff for sandwiches anymore.

I make Whoopie Pies, and I know it is controversial about where they were first made. Pennsylvania claims fame, but it was really a New England goodie. Maine is the state where whoopiWhoopie pies first became popular. This is really a soft chocolate cookie with a creamy filling. Some people use lard as part of the fling, not me. I find butter and marshmallow fluff make the best whooped pie filling. I found the recipe in Gourmet Magazine, and have used it for years. You can find the recipe on Epicurious. These are the most delicious whoopie pies. Whip up a few for your family.

I purchased this larger tub because it is enough for a double recipe of whoopie pies. You cannot beat these desserts.

Recommended. prisrob 07-16-16