Profile for J. Hill > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Sony DVP-SR170 DVD Player
Sony DVP-SR170 DVD Player

4.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 10 Dec. 2013
A nice cheap DVD player which does the job. Worked straight from the box with no setting up. Quite lightweight construction as you would expect, and the power lead is only about 2ft long which could be a consideration.

Eyup Again, Comedy & Tradedy 1982-2010
Eyup Again, Comedy & Tradedy 1982-2010

4.0 out of 5 stars A rough diamond, 6 Dec. 2013
Having read the other reviews, I do appreciate D Smiths comments - there are many instances where Knutty shows an unpleasant side of his character. However, he is a stereotypical Yorkshireman with a big gob and a high opinion of himself. Rather than falsely make himself out to be some faultless character (as I'm sure you will find will find in may autobiographies) tempting though it may have been, he tells it like it is. He is honest and doesn't try to hide anything. Good for him.
As a Sheffield lad I enjoyed many of the local anecdotes (the dee dar bit was amusing, but will be indecipherable to any non South Yorks readers). His recollections of life on the cruise ships I also found interesting. Don't expect any astounding showbiz revelations, just a straightforward account of the second half of his life. It interested me enough to maybe read his previous book if I can find it cheap, I'm not made of money !
Commiserations to him for the recent loss of his wife, which must have happened after the book was written. Whatever he got up to with the ladies before their meeting, it's obvious that he was completely devoted to her. What a tragedy.

Flying Free
Flying Free

5.0 out of 5 stars The Evil Empire, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Flying Free (Kindle Edition)
An insiders expose of the evil, corrupt and wasteful workings of the EU. I fear Mr Farage is preaching to the converted here, as the reviews and comments show. There is so much apathy surrounding politics I doubt if UKIP will ever make any serious inroads into the problem, but I wish him well and will probably join UKIP before the next European elections.

Sony Original Remote Control Type RM-ED007
Sony Original Remote Control Type RM-ED007
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

3.0 out of 5 stars These things don't seem to last long, 24 Nov. 2013
My tv is 5 years old. The original remote packed in after 3 years, the replacement (this model) lasted 2 years before various buttons stopped functioning. Just ordered a further replacement - which works fine - but I hope will last out the tv. We don't abuse these things, the tv is on maybe 5 hours per day and much of the time we use the PVR remote rather than this one, so my expectations are that they would last much longer. Time will tell.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2013 10:32 PM GMT

Guinea A Minute
Guinea A Minute

5.0 out of 5 stars Godfrey Bloom - national treasure ?, 13 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Guinea A Minute (Kindle Edition)
I live in Yorkshire, so Godfrey Bloom has been one of my MEPs for the last few years. Due to the strange rules governing the election of these people, and even though I vote UKIP, I wasn't aware of his existence until the Bongobongoland episode earlier this year. Since then he has had various pieces of publicity, all presented in a negative light by the media. Hitting the odious Michael Crick over the head with a magazine was a good moment, but his latest outing, on Have I Got News For You, was absolutely priceless. The politically correct Victoria Coren had been gunning for him throughout, but his comments towards the end of the programme left her speechless, and the look on her face was absolutely priceless.
So, now being a firm fan of Mr Bloom's I discovered that he has written a couple of books and I had to read them. The book recounts his life to date, along with many of his commonsense views on politics and life in general. The book does tend to jump around abruptly from subject to subject, but this does give a feeling of spontaneity, as if he is actually in conversation with the reader. Whilst written in a quite 'whimsical style' to quote the book description, his later comments on the European Union show that he is a very astute man, and nobody's fool.
The book finishes just before his departure from UKIP following yet more out of context bad publicity, so we don't get to know his opinions on that episode, which is a pity. Has his flame burned brightly at the end of his political career, or will there be a way back for him ? His comments following that were I think, that he was fed up with politics, which is a shame.
In my opinion, this man is one of the most underrated, misrepresented politicians, who tells it like it is, and is one of the best leaders we never had.

The Black Box (Harry Bosch Book 18)
The Black Box (Harry Bosch Book 18)

2.0 out of 5 stars Again, not up to standard, 4 Nov. 2013
I've been a big fan of Connelly's for years, enjoyed all his books until The Nine Dragons (2009) which was abysmal. He then improved somewhat, but The Black Box again sees him on a downward turn.
The basic plot is promising, but the book is full of unnecessary padding (Bosch's daughter is quite obviously, and rather clumsily, being set up as Detective Bosch mark 2). The plot moves steadily if rather erratically along until the last fifty or so pages, when all hell breaks loose in the most stupid and unlikely manner. It's as if Connelly got to the point where he had put Bosch into a very difficult situation, then got tired of it all and decided to finish it in the quickest way possible.
This is not the scheming, professional Harry Bosch of old, but a much more stupid and unpredictable version - maybe that's the idea, for the geriatric Harry to lose the plot so he can be killed off by his own stupidity to make way for the next generation ?
I realise I'm in the minority here, and if this had been one of the free Kindle books that are available from lesser authors I would have made allowances and rated it higher - but it's not, it's work by a well established and very accomplished writer who seems to have lost his way.

Tallon 3591 Family Organiser Calendar
Tallon 3591 Family Organiser Calendar
Offered by MAKING LIFE SIMPLE

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value - why pay more ?, 1 Nov. 2013
This is exactly what I need. A good sized, practical month to the page calendar with plenty of room for all our engagements. It comes on a slightly larger wipe clean backing board and with the felt tip pen included, temporary reminders and notes can be added. It has a strong hanging attachment and monthly pages can be folded over when finished so that you can refer back to them if required. It's plain and simple with no fancy pictures, and cheaper than the alternatives. An excellent buy.

From Blue to Brown (The Blue Trilogy Book 3)
From Blue to Brown (The Blue Trilogy Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 22 Aug. 2013
I've just had a five day marathon reading this series. Not very often these days that I come across a story that I can't put down, but this is certainly one, it contained many reminders of my own experiences and what an ending. I didn't see that coming. I know it's billed as a trilogy, but please Jonathan can we have some more from Nostrils ?

From Black to Blue (The Blue Trilogy)
From Black to Blue (The Blue Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent trilogy, 22 Aug. 2013
I've just read the entire trilogy in a five day marathon. This series is a must for any police procedural fan, particularly if you have personal experience of policing at the sharp end. As stated by others, this one has a darker theme than book one, but just as enjoyable. Great stuff.

From Green to Blue (The Blue Trilogy Book 1)
From Green to Blue (The Blue Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh the memories !, 19 Aug. 2013
The number of five star reviews and appreciative comments by ex police officers says it all.
I was a member of a different force, but my memories of the job in the pre-PACE days, whilst a slightly watered down version of the bizarre world of Stoke Newington, aren't so far removed. Reminds me a lot of GF Newman's early books, sadly long out of print.
A cracking story, and I'm now commencing the second volume.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9