Profile for Paul Hanratty > Reviews

Content by Paul Hanratty

Paul Hanratty (Tyne and Wear)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Siege: (Scope 1)
Siege: (Scope 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Siege, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Siege: (Scope 1) (Kindle Edition)
Whenever I see that Peter James, Stephen Leather or Simon Kernick has writen a new book I get a little pang of excitement because I know I'm in for a good read. The Siege was a classic page-turner even though much of the action occurred in one location. The characters were clearly thought out and each had a personality of their own which shone out from the page. Inevitably there are going to be twists and turns and part of the fun is trying to second-guess those situations. I was also very interested in reading the inspiration for the book which demonstrated the amount of effort which went into producing this tale. I don't want to comment on the plot simply take my word that this is a read which won't disappoint you.

Sammy Goes to New York

Cruiseline Confidential
Cruiseline Confidential

1.0 out of 5 stars Cruiseline Confidential, 29 Jan 2012
Other reviewers have commented on the poor spelling and erratic grammar, so I'll simply agree and concentrate on the subject matter. I've cruised a number of times and always found the waiters to be very professional and haven't encountered a drunk amongst them! If this author is to be believed then he spent all his spare time drinking copious amounts of alcohol and still managing to stagger to the dining room to carry out his duties. I find it difficult to believe that he kept his job for so long and would have thought that those who managed him would have detected the problem and dispensed with his services. Rather than boast about his behaviour this yob should grow up and enrol in a writing class!! This book cost me less than a 1 on kindle so I don't feel too aggrieved that I bought it, but I really was expecting better.

Rough Justice (The 7th Spider Shepherd Thriller)
Rough Justice (The 7th Spider Shepherd Thriller)
by Stephen Leather
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Justice, 29 Dec 2010
I've had this book for several months and finally found time to read it over the Christmas holidays. Thank you Mr Leather for making my Christmas. Spider is back to his best and whilst I hope the police are not vigilantes I could understand their frustrations at the justice system. Many years ago I watched a film called "Star Chamber" with Michael Douglas where he joined a group of disillusioned US Judges who were fed up with criminals escaping justice due to technicalities and took it upon themselves to seek retribution and ensure that the guilty were punished. There was an obvious parallel here and in my view was very credibly presented by the author. We are all bound by political correctness these days but how many of you secretly agreed with some of the views portrayed in this book?

As ever with the Dan Shepherd tales there are a number of sub-plots and the recurring theme of Spider's complicated homelife (oft absent father to a motherless son) and his undisputed loyalty to Major Gannon keep the reader intrigued. In the past I thought this character had run out of steam but I now realise how wrong I was and wish I had Stephen Leather's abilty to conjure up interesting ideas. I think I can see where Spider will be next and if I'm right then Mr Leather's imagination will probably run riot!

One question. Where does the author find the names of his characters? I was very excited to find that my namesake had a visit from the vigilantes during the book, although I would like to think that the similarity ended with the name!

Where Egos Dare
Where Egos Dare
by David Charters
Price: 5.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Where Egos Dare, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: Where Egos Dare (Paperback)
I love this author's short tales of life in the city. I think Dave Hart is an odious character who is a greedy,immoral coward who would happily sell his granny without thinking twice! The banking profession has never been at a lower standing with the public and the characters in this book only serve to confirm our belief about the gluttony which pours out of these institutions. However, despite the subject matter I find Mr Charters' books very entertaining and can't help but laugh out loud at some of the antics of Hart and his cronies. I would thoroughly recommend this book as an easy and light-hearted read.

Pure Evil
Pure Evil
by Maureen Harvey
Price: 6.37

2.0 out of 5 stars Pure Evil, 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: Pure Evil (Paperback)
I cannot imagine the grief of losing a child. I think Maureen Harvey was probably quite brave in embarking upon the task of writing about that tragic event in her life. I don't criticise her motives - it may have been another outlet for her pain - and I think as someone who presumably had not written in the past it wasn't a bad effort. There is no doubt that her story was going to be biased, she was unlikely to have anything good to say about her son's killer and her devotion to her deceased son is understandable, although she occasionally acknowledges his faults.

I did find her criticism of those whom she saw as supporting Tracie a little naive. She was especially scathing of Tracie's solicitor and positively revelled in his own later misfortune. I am a criminal lawyer and whether you like your client or believe your client is irrelevant, you use your professional skills to represent them to the best of your ability. Mr Robinson (whom I do not know) chose to apply to lift reporting restrictions to try and find witnesses to the incident his client told him about i.e. the fictitious road-rage fracas. He was doing his job and sadly the efforts of the defence often compound the grief of the deceased's family. I have been in similar situations and I can you assure no pleasure is derived from causing any pain, but as a defence lawyer you have a job to do.

I understand that Miss Andrews is hopeful of securing release in the near future and of course, the media will heavily report that fact and if she is given a new identity then no doubt there will be plenty of speculation as to her whereabouts. My concern about this book is not that Mrs Harvey will try her best to prevent that happening but that she will devote the rest of her life to pursuing Tracie and not really trying to get on with her own life as best she can.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2009 11:06 AM BST

Not Dead Enough
Not Dead Enough
by Peter James

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Dead Enough, 3 Sep 2009
This review is from: Not Dead Enough (Paperback)
I have become hooked on the Roy Grace stories and have catapulted Peter James to the top of my favourite author list (commiserations to Stephen Leather!) The basic plot is well rehearsed in other reviews and my only concern about this character is when he ever sleeps! I've never been to Brighton (too far south for me) but I have a sense of the place from the strong descriptive writing. Roy is clearly a troubled soul because he is not only charged with wrestling with serious crime but he is torn by his love for his long-lost wife and his lust for the delicious Cleo from his local mortuary. I have read that Roy Grace will be made into a TV series and hope that the producers do justice to the books and don't cast the wrong actor in the lead role, although I have no idea who that should be. I thoroughly recommend this book and this author and look forward to future offerings.

Kaspar: Prince of Cats
Kaspar: Prince of Cats
by Michael Morpurgo

5.0 out of 5 stars Kaspar, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: Kaspar: Prince of Cats (Paperback)
Ross who is 10 and his grandad who is a little older both love the Michael Morpurgo books, but this is our favourite. The author has the uncanny ability of telling an interesting tale whilst replaying an actual historic event through the pages of his books. Kaspar is present throughout the story but is at times almost incidental to the plot. The real hero here is Johnny Trott a brave and plucky lad who having faced the wrath of Skullface at the Savoy is well placed to cope with the tragedy of the sinking of the Titanic. There is usually a little edge to these books and it is present here as the sinking of that fine ship threatens to consume all including Johnny and Kaspar. Do they survive? Read the book!

As entertainment I have yet to read better than Mr Morpurgo who also seeks to educate and that is important as the child (and the adult!) attains knowledge of major events from these stories. I recommend Adolphus Tips (specifically looking at evacuation during WWII - see my review) and Tora!Tora! which we're currently reading set during the Spanish Civil War.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung - Tocco Lite, 30 July 2009
I'd had my old Nokia for too long and it was looking shabby and beginning to play up, so I thought I'd treat myself to a new phone. I spent a lot of time looking at phones which I would be able to use and which perhaps had a few more features than my Nokia. After much deliberation I settled on the Samsung Tocco Lite and was influenced by reviews on this page. I have not been disappointed. I love the sleek look of the phone and have found it easy to use. I like the large screen and have enjoyed playing with the features of this phone. I'm not one of those people who is glued to their phone but find it very practical and fit for my purposes. I was highly impressed with the supplier GSM-Fonz who processed my order very quickly. I would thoroughly recommend this phone and it's supplier.

3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD)
3D Home Designer Deluxe (PC CD)
Price: 5.81

4.0 out of 5 stars 3D Home Designer, 30 July 2009
I purchased this software for my 10-year old grandson, Ross, who is obsessed with house design. I'm not particularly technical but was able to load and set up the programme very quickly. Ross easily found his way around the tools and has already produced a number of impressive designs. We are about to remodel our bathroom and he is eager to produce the design. I have no idea whether serious house builders/ designers would rate this item, but as a basic programme for fun more than anything it is well the few pounds it cost and it has made Ross very happy.

The Business Of Dying: (Dennis Milne 1)
The Business Of Dying: (Dennis Milne 1)
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 5.48

4.0 out of 5 stars The Business of Dying, 7 July 2009
I am an avid fan of thriller writers and I've read the novels of James Patterson, Stephen Leather and Peter James all in the last 12 months. I discovered Simon Kernick last summer when I read "Relentless" which I thoroughly enjoyed and added him to my list of favourite authors. I wasn't as impressed with "The Murder Exchange" but felt it was a decent enough read and therefore I looked for more Kernick. I decided to go to the beginning and read his debut novel. I enjoyed it and as with other reviewers was surprisingly drawn to the character of Milne. I prefer baddies to get their come-uppance but this guy had me rooting for his escape. I particularly enjoyed the ultimate treatment of Raymond Keen and have begun to worry a little about my own morality! I will read the next installment of Dennis Milne and unless I'm badly let down, look forward to ploughing through more of this author's efforts in the summer sun this year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3