Profile for Mr. D. Watson > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Watson

Mr. D. Watson "doogemeister" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Muscle Shoals Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Muscle Shoals Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Music, 11 Mar 2014
After seeing the film I bought the soundtrack because there's just so much quality. The only disappointment of course is that it was only one CD!
A few friends and I watched around the same time and each one of us was blown away by the sheer quality and diversity of music that came out of Muscle Shoals.
Just buy it. I can do no better than that!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2014 3:38 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Authorized By Bruce, 14 Nov 2013
Whilst this is a great bootleg it is not authorized by Springsteen and I'm amazed to see it for sale on Amazon!

Fans have shared this bootleg with each other since it was recorded for FREE!! I think it's a scandal that it is being sold here!

Life At the End of the Tunnel: A Widow's Story of Loss and then Finding Life at the End of the Tunnel
by Kimberly Silva

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Life, 2 Feb 2013
Dealing with loss is no easy matter and no two people share the same journey of that walk through the "valley of the shadow of death", and the response to continue living and finding new life is also something that each person deals with differently.
Kimberly has written a beautiful account of her own journey that I'm sure will provide deep consolation to others who pick up this book as they deal with their own sense of grief. It's not a "how to" guide for dealing with loss but a story about one woman, one family and their journey after the devasting loss of their husband and father. It's also a tale of how precious memories aid in the whole process of dealing with grief, and more importantly what the future can be if one is open to moving on and finding new life.

Kimberly is a spiritual woman and it is clear in the book that her faith helped her find peace and direction on that long and devasting journey. Personally I struggled a bit with the whole issue of consulting a Psychic but that's me and my own bad experiences of "speaking to the dead", but for Kimberly it seemed to be the thing that worked for her.

As to the new life that finds Kimberly with a brand new family and a great guy in her life, well that is the chapter that is being written right now in their lives and you can only be happy for her and the kids. Elvis Costello once sang, "Everyday I write the book" and each new day brings a blank page awaiting adventure, joy, heartache, pain, blessing and loss, Kimberly has shared part of that book and we await to see what comes next.
I maybe a little biased about this book because I have personally met Kimberly and the new man in her life Joe Silva (a top musician in my book)but I think even if I hadn't I'd still be happy to recommend this book.

Dreamland
Dreamland

4.0 out of 5 stars Roddy Does It Again!, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dreamland (Audio CD)
'Dreamland' is yet another in the reissue series of Aztec Camera albums and once again it finds Roddy Frame in good form as far as his songwriting goes.This one is probably more focused musically than the 'Stray' album and has some fantastic tracks on it: 'Spanish Horses', 'Black Lucia', 'Safe in Sorrow' and 'Belle of the Ball' to name a few. Despite the quality of the music the singles released from the album initially failed to do anything, but then again singles have long been struggling to make an impact no matter the artist.
The bonus disc that comes with the reissue is a beautiful set live from Ronnie Scott's in London that is like an overview of Frame's career with under the banner of Aztec Camera. Songs from each of his albums are represented and it's a nice and warming performance.
Throughout the lifespan of Aztec Camera I've never found myself disappointed by any of the albums that were released. Each one is a gem in it's own right. When I saw that they were all being reissued I ordered all 6 of them without hesitation. Well worth getting.

Stray [Deluxe Edition]
Stray [Deluxe Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Aztec Camera Album, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Stray [Deluxe Edition] (Audio CD)
I have always loved 'Stray' and that has been further heightened by the release of the reissues of all of the Aztec Camera albums. Each one of them is different in their own unique way and this one appeals to me because it is a wealth of differing styles from rock, to blues to a spot of jazz.
Roddy Frame deserved to be bigger and whilst this produced a couple of minor hit singles the beauty of some of the tracks largely went unnoticed by the public. My only disappointment with this one of the reissue series is that the bonus tracks on the second disc are dominated by 6 different mixes of Good Morning Britain and not being such a fan of remixes I probably played it once and I guess I won't give it another spin. That point alone prevented me from giving it a five star thumbs up.

Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan, Honouring 50 Years of Amnesty International
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Honouring Bob and Amnesty, 14 Feb 2012
I am not a huge Bob Dylan fan! (all the Dylanites open their mouths in shock!) There, I've got that out of the way so Dylan fans you can now breathe again! This album might not be a lot of people's cup of tea but I was actually impressed in quite a few places by these covers from Bob's extensive songbook. I like how the collection brings together artists old and new in an attempt to do his songs justice and raise the spotlight on Amnesty International in the process.

There were a few surprises for me, I loved Eric Burdon's take on 'Gotta Serve Somebody'. Was blown away by Flogging Molly committing crimes against Bob's music with their Punky take on 'The Times They Are A Changin', and even My Chemical Romance trashing the life out of 'Desolation Row' was brilliant.

No matter how much people may dislike Adele I have to say her version of 'Make You Feel My Love' is much better than some of the versions I've seen and heard Bob playing live! I heard his version in a store one day and some kids were mortified saying, "I can't believe that man is ruining an Adele song like that!" Well it made me laugh!

Some people I'm sure are going to look at the artists included in this collection and shake their heads in dismay, Miley Cyrus? Really? But you have to know that no matter how much people are going to speak against it she actually does a fine job on 'Your Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go', and I will understand those who will go crazy against Ke$sha murdering 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright' (probably the least pleasant track on the album for me).

I could mention a lot more songs, but then I'd have to go on a bit too long. The only question that needs to be asked is, "Should I buy it?" If you are like me you'll go ahead and take a chance. It's a great price for 4CD's.

I hope Bob is happy with this. I do tend to disagree with the BBC review that has been posted, Paul Whitelaw should be embarrassed a little that his "sprawling folly" of a review is liable to put people off buying it, but it's a good thing we don't always listen to reviewers isn't it!

No Off Switch: An Autobiography
No Off Switch: An Autobiography
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars It's More Than Music!, 1 Sep 2011
This arrived in my post box on Monday and I've finished it already. It is that captivating a story!

Of course I knew of Andy from his days on Radio 1 and it was great to read all about those days when music was the predominate thing in his life. But it was actually the rest of the book that actually impressed me the most as Andy wrote about his escapades around the world. Wonderful stuff indeed and so insightful. The chapter about visiting Rwanda was brutal at times in its description of the horrifying events that he discovered but at the same time it was captivating.

Throughout the book we are shown the tremendous honesty of heart that Andy Kershaw, whether it be about his own failures when it comes to relationships or his passionate thoughts regarding the BBC. Like a good biographer Andy has gone for the "warts 'n' all" approach that allows us to see ourselves a little amid the brutality of his honesty.

The last two chapters of the book were gut wrenching and heartbreaking and it is a testament to his character that he came through that terrible ordeal with a greater determination to be a good Dad to his two children.

I heartily recommend this to folks, it's not just about music but about a life that has lived to the max and has the scars to prove it.

The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption
The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption
by Jim Gorant

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of How Good Comes From Bad, 28 July 2011
One of the things this book isn't is an easy read. Infact, the first part of the book is some of the toughest writing I think I've ever read. At times reading of the shocking cruelty made me physically gag.
I recall reading the original Sports Illustrated article about Vick's Dogs and was horrified by some of things that were spoken of. Of course, it is not just a tale of the abuse of dogs, but also of the determination of people and groups to spare many of the dogs that had been part of Vick's stable of fighters and rehab them that they might enjoy a better life.
The Second and Third parts of the book are the real turning points and here we get a look into the efforts of those involved to do something good for these dogs and whilst there are still bumps in the road for many it is a great joy to read of how these dogs have found new lives as a part of a family who only have their best interests at heart. It is also heart warming to see the effort that dog fosterers go to in caring, training & loving these dogs and bringing them to a place where they actually learn to be dogs again rather than fighters.
Jim Gorant has done an exceptional job in writing the stories of the dogs. As a Sports Journalist he could easily have devoted more effort into focusing on Vick and his cronies, but he has done a great service in writing about people who have a heart for the welfare of animals and how their own lives have been touched by the presence of these dogs in their lives. I agree with Amy Riddet who posted a review back in February when she said, "The people involved in this story are true heroes that put their necks on the line for the wellbeing of these dogs. We need more people like them!"
It is amazing to see so much good come out of something so bad. It was good to see that the way the dogs were dealt with in this case has had an impact on the way future cases of such barbarism are dealt with. These dogs are not to be seen as weapons but as victims. I think the whole thrust of the book Jim Gorant perfectly captured that.
For those who love dogs (and I do)this book will be a bit of a shock at first but if you stick with it you'll be amazed at the incredible outcome.

Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?: The Autobiography
Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?: The Autobiography
by Steven Tyler

2.0 out of 5 stars Should Come With A Parental Warning, 16 May 2011
I have to say that I was a little shocked with this book. Yes I knew Tyler was a rocker and that he did drugs and had lots of groupies etc, but it's a bit too much to read all about it! The one thing that put me off the book was the OTT use of bad language, now I'm not a prude in anyway but his constant use of vulgar language is shocking. He could have spoken about his life without what I would say is the needless use of abusive language.
The books hould have a parental warning on the front cover because it is way too graphic to be read by anyone under the age of 18! Would I recommend this book? I don't think so. Very disappointed!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2011 2:31 AM GMT

Mad Not Mad: 2 CD + 1 DVD (NTSC)
Mad Not Mad: 2 CD + 1 DVD (NTSC)

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Album Indeed, 17 Nov 2010
It always puzzled me why Madness didn't like this album because from the moment I heard it when it was first released I loved it. I'm glad to see that 'Mad Not Mad' is part of the reissue series, I wasn't sure that it was going to be when the series was first announced. But they managed to get it sorted and I wonder if the reason why this album has a black spine whilst the rest of the series has white spines is because it is regarded as the 'black sheep' of the Madness catalogue!
Whatever the reasons for the different packaging it is the music that matters and tracks like 'I'll Compete', 'Yesterday's Men' and 'Burning the Boats' are just fantastic and 'Uncle Sam' and 'Waiting For the Ghost Train' are so typically Madness. A brilliant collection and a welcome addition to the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3