Profile for gutt3d > Reviews

Content by gutt3d

gutt3d "gutted" (Derby, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
SodaStream Source Plastic Sparkling Water Maker - Black
SodaStream Source Plastic Sparkling Water Maker - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern looking, simple to use, and very effective machine., 9 Jan. 2016
I love this. I bought it with pretty much the express intention of making root beer. It was a great purchase, and looks very stylish in my kitchen.

On arrival (the first time) I couldn't find the plastic bottle, and I thought that mine had chipped without one. Amazon duly sent me a replacement, and I posted my "incomplete" one back. When the replacement arrived I was dismayed that it ALSO didn't have a plastic bottle - but I figured even I'm not that unlucky, and on closer inspection I found the plastic bottle hidden away in the CO2 compartment. So while I may not be THAT unlucky, I'm apparently a bit of a Muppet for not checking there in the first place. Sigh.

The machine itself is very nice. I bought the black one - it looks modern, and doesn't look at all out of place in my relatively high-tech kitchen. Easy to load the water, and mechanism seems very secure while carbonating the water. My 4yr-old daughter is fascinated by the machine, and counts the seconds until the root beer runs out and she can help me make some more fizzy water.

Very happy with this, and glad I made this purchase.

Sodastream Root Beer Flavour Concentrate
Sodastream Root Beer Flavour Concentrate
Offered by BestBuyUk

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous - but just make sure you don't get over-charged, 9 Jan. 2016
This has a very nice flavour, and does indeed taste like "proper" root beer. I'm a huge fan of root beer, and pretty much bought a Soda Stream exclusively to use with this product - and I wasn't disappointed. I dare say I'll try other flavours, but for now I'm very happy that this is exactly what I was after.

I use a full cap of this syrup, and I use my Soda Stream 'Source' until all 3 sets of lights have come on - the results are spot on for me.

BEWARE of some unscrupulous Amazon Marketplace sellers selling a single bottle of this for approx £15. You can get 4x bottles (new style packaging) for the same price if you go with Amazon direct. I was keen to get this style bottle - I don't know why it seemed so important to me at the time - so ended up being stitched up by a Marketplace seller. Buyer beware!

CiT 2.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA/IDE HDD Enclosure for Up to 1TB HDD
CiT 2.5 inch USB 2.0 SATA/IDE HDD Enclosure for Up to 1TB HDD

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bit of kit, 22 Dec. 2015
Really happy with this. My old laptop died (dead motherboard), so I needed another way to read the data from several PATA drives I still had. I also have a couple of SATA drives, so this product seemed ideal.

I had some teething problems at first, and couldn't get my PATA drives to power up (but SATA were fine). I worried that either the drive didn't fit properly or maybe the enclosure was faulty, or perhaps I needed an additional power cable (and was annoyed that one wasn't provided). However it turned out to be a simple mistake on my part: I just hadn't lined up the IDE interface properly (it looked like the drive was "nearly" home, but the first 2 pins weren't connected). After realising my mistake I re-positioned the drive PATA drive and now all is good.

A minor niggle (not enough to drop a star though):
It's pretty tricky to actually open the case the get the drive in/out. When the enclosure is empty, you can just tap it against a table and the case will come off - then when the drive is installed and screwed down you can use the really really really tiny screws to secure the case covers (all screws provided, by the way - screwdriver also provided, but it's pretty poor quality so I didn't use it). However if I already have a traditional (moving parts) drive installed, then I wouldn't really want to be knocking the enclosure against something in order to get the covers off.

All in all though, I'm really pleased with it. I'm currently using this enclosure to power a PATA SSD, and it's great - I'm thinking about getting a couple more enclosures!

Acctim 74132 Cadiz Radio Controlled Wall Clock, White
Acctim 74132 Cadiz Radio Controlled Wall Clock, White

3.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries, 30 July 2014
I nearly sent this back, as I thought it was broken. After approx 6 months of use, this clock started losing time - and on inspection it was obvious that the hands were "sticking" as they passed certain areas of the clock face. My first thought was that the battery must be on the way out - but the battery was only 6 months old (and a decent brand), which was a surprise. Nonetheless I tested it, and battery tester showed it was still healthy. Numerous master resets later, the clock finally stopped altogether. I tested battery again, and it still showed good - so I put the same battery back in, gave it a master reset, and it worked for a few more days before giving up.

Having found the battery to be healthy (according to my tester), I therefore assumed there must be a fault with the clock. By this stage I had resolved to send it back, and I remembered some others had had similar experiences (based on some of the negative reviews here). In my mind I'd already started putting together a scathing review.

But before I packed it up I tried a brand new battery - same brand (Energizer). And now the clock works as normal.

After reading this review it probably seems obvious to everyone that the battery was at fault - but the fact that the old (dead?) battery was a known brand that only lasted 6 months from new was a surprise to me. I have another radio clock which has kept good time, and hasn't needed a new battery in around 12 months so far. Also the fact that my battery tester shows the old (dead?) battery in good health - and only slightly weaker than a brand new battery - seems to suggest that the battery is still perfectly useable, but that the clock needs quite a lot of power to keep it going. Even if the tester is inaccurate, the clock has still got through an Energizer battery in approx 6 months which can't be good.

So I've dropped it a couple of stars since it seems to get through batteries so quickly (based on my experience with another radio clock): getting through 1 good-brand battery every 6 months seems unusual to me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2016 7:43 PM BST

Premium Wheel Tyre storage bags set of 4 14''-18''
Premium Wheel Tyre storage bags set of 4 14''-18''
Offered by alca-heyner shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality - suitable for my 13" alloys, too, 15 May 2013
I was concerned that these may not be suitable for my wheels (13") but I thought it was worth a try - I'm happy to report that they fit my wheels quite nicely, even though the listing states that they are for 14" upwards. These bags are for my Metro Turbo alloys with 185/55/13 tyres, and the bags fit nicely once the slack is taken up from the drawstrings.

I'm impressed with the quality, too - the outer material (the bit the wraps round the road surface of the tyres) is made from a very heavy duty nylon/canvas material. The side panels with the drawstrings (these are the red bits you can see in the picture) are made from a lighter nylon/canvas material, but still more robust than typical tent canvas.

All in all, I'm very happy that I spent the extra few quid and bought these ones rather than some of the cheaper ones I had looked at. I can't comment on the quality of the cheaper ones, but all I can say is that these ones seem well worth the money I paid. I'd certainly buy them again.

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 Black Top Flip PU Leather Case, Screen Protector, Stylus and Polishing Cloth

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last very long, 28 Dec. 2012
This was super cheap, which made me wary. But on the whole it had very positive reviews, so I decided to give it a try. I should have gone with my first instincts, however - I've been using this for about 3 months and it's already falling apart.

The plastic frame which hold the phone in place has snapped at 1 corner. The phone can't actually fall out, though it's no longer securely held and moves around within the case. The frame broke a few weeks ago - but since the phone was still held in place (more or less) I just put it down to bad luck and hoped nothing else would break. In the last week or so, however, the magnet which holds the clasp has come loose inside the cover - so I have to shake the phone to get the magent in the right place before I can close the clasp. The frame breaking was barely a problem - but the clasp breaking is a major inconvenience.

It was so cheap that (a) I shouldn't have expected it to last that long anyway; and (b) I suppose I can't really complain too much so this is just a word of warning to others who may be thinking about buying it.

If my experience is anything to go by, then it'll last a couple of months before it starts disintegrating... I should have known better - EVERYONE knows that you get what you pay for! Beware!

I'll give it a couple of stars because the screen protector is alright. The polishing cloth is ok, even though it's very low quality. I used the stylus for about a day but I soon got bored with it - it's nothing more than a novelty item, in my opinion (unless you have massive fingers, I guess).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2016 7:48 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Unable to connect to network, 24 Oct. 2012
I had hoped this would simply be a "plug and play" affair, but sadly I have not found that to be the case.

I have installed device (and drivers) on Win7, Vista, and WinXP SP3 on 3 different laptops (my old Thinkpad T43p, a work EliteBook 6930p, and a brand new work ProBook 5330m; each with on-board wireless disabled) but so far have not been able to connect the device to a wireless-N only network.

I am reasonably competent when it comes to adding devices to a wireless network, but have so far been unsuccessful at getting this thing to connect. I'm using an Asus RT-N56U router with recent firmware with MAC address filtering and WPA2-personal security. I've added the device MAC address to my MAC filter white list (MAC address can be found using the provided client utility), and have used the client utility to configure WPA2 password.

I have not gone so far as to disable MAC filtering or network security to see if I can get this thing to talk to my router, nor have I tried dropping to "mixed" wireless (i.e. including wireless-G) instead of wireless-N only. This device should not need such changes to my network before it is able to connect.

At the present time, only 1 star from me. If I ever manage to get it connected, I will comment back here. But given the difficulty of set up it would only ever be worth 3 stars from me, even if I eventually got it to work.

Andrew James Milk Frothing Thermometer, High Quality Grade 304 Stainless Steel
Andrew James Milk Frothing Thermometer, High Quality Grade 304 Stainless Steel
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for making a good latte, 8 Sept. 2012
I bought this along with an Andrew James jug to use with my De-Longhi coffee machine.

It's excellent. I'd previously struggled to get my lattes hot enough. I now understand the correct milk temperature to be 140°F - and after using this thermometer I was surprised at how long I needed to steam the milk to get it to the correct temperature. Without this, I would never have steamed the milk for long enough (which explains why my coffee used to be a bit insipid).

I've only had this thermometer for about a week, but already I find it indispensable: I can't imagine making latte without it. More than that, I've actually started using my coffee maker a whole lot more, now that I can get coffee the way I want it.

The thermometer has an adjustable clip, so that it can be attached to your milk jug so you can still see the gauge while you operate the steamer. The probe depth can be adjusted so it doesn't have to scratch the bottom of the jug, if that would worry you. The thermometer can be easily cleaned - I accidentally dropped mine into the washing bowl, and it survived without water ingress (though I wouldn't suggest immersing it just in case). The gauge seems relatively accurate too: it reads at about 20°C when not in use, and goes to below 10°C when in a jug of cold milk from the fridge; steaming milk until the gauge reads 140°F gets my coffee spot on.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality, given that it was quite cheap. All in all I can't fault it and would highly recommend buying one.

Andrew James High Quality Grade 202 Stainless Steel Jug 600ml
Andrew James High Quality Grade 202 Stainless Steel Jug 600ml
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for making a latte, 5 Sept. 2012
I bought this along with a milk thermometer to enable me to make better use of my De-Longhi coffee machine. I found it to be exactly the right size for making a mug of latte - I pour 2/3 of a mug of milk into the stainless steel jug, and after a good dose of steam the milk expands to the perfect volume to pour back into my mug (along with a shot of espresso).

I have a De-Longhi BCO261b: this jug is small enough that I can use the steam nozzle on my coffee machine without spilling milk/froth (even though I need to tilt the jug slightly to get it under the steam nozzle).

Some of the other reviews mentioned a label stuck to the jug, but mine didn't have this - instead mine came with a slip of paper inside the jug which warned me "Hand wash only" (the slip of paper was not actually stuck to the jug, however). Perhaps the manufacturer has listened to customer feedback and no longer sticks labels to this item?

The jug is very nice quality and aside from being perfectly functional, the highly polished finish looks great too. As pointed out in other reviews, the handle isn't the most comfortable - but it didn't concern me enough to drop marks. All in all I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I thought it was very reasonably priced, too.

I would strongly recommend getting some sort of thermometer to go with this - I was quite surprised at how long I needed to steam the milk for before it got to the correct temperature (which I understand to be 140 degrees). I wouldn't have known this without a thermometer, and might not have been so happy with my coffee making experience without it...

Something Good 08 [Cd2]
Something Good 08 [Cd2]

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 17 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Something Good 08 [Cd2] (Audio CD)
I bought disc 1 and disc 2 from Amazon at the same time - and at the time they were both the same price. Even as I write this (on the day of release) I see that Amazon has brought the price down on both, and also made disc 2 a bit cheaper... That's a good thing since BOTH tracks on disc 2 appear here on disc 1 in exactly the same form (same edit, same length etc).

This disc, disc 1, has 6 different remixes of "Something Good" plus the video. That makes it far better value than disc 2 - if you've heard the updated version of Something Good on the radio and want to get hold of the single, then this is the CD to go for. This disc has the following tracks:

Radio Edit;
Vanshe Tech Mix;
High Contrast Remix;
Ian Carey Remix;
Prok & Fitch Remix;
eSquire Remix;
Video.

I love the updated remix of this tune (the Radio Edit). I still really like the original - and this updated version adds some fresh energy that blows away the cobwebs. It's great, fun dance tune and well worth a listen.

The Vanshe Tech Mix is outstanding :) The Radio Edit is great - but the Vanshe Tech Mix is basically the "full length" or "club mix" version. If you like the Radio Edit, you really need to hear the Vanshe Tech Mix. The price of this CD is pretty much justified for this mix alone!

On first listen I wasn't overly keen on the High Contrast Remix, but after a couple of listens it grew on me. It's a much harder and faster version - a kind of cross between old-skool happy hardcore and Pendulum-esque drum 'n bass. I like Pendulum, so there was something about this mix that won me over.

I'm not all that keen on the Ian Carey Remix. It has a very "electro" feel to it that doesn't really work for me. The different parts of the remix don't really seem to fit together all that well in my humble opinion.

The Prok & Fitch Remix, on the other hand, is excellent! It's proper hard house - definitely with a bit of trance thrown in - and with a couple more samples from the original (1990's) version of Something Good that are not used in the 2008 reworked version. The Prok & Fitch Remix is, to my ear, a "serious" tune for a hard dance night.

I don't have much love for the eSquire Remix. I find it a bit uninspiring and kind of samey. It doesn't have the buzz or electricity of the Radio Edit but has more of a repetitive (dull) house-type feel. I'm sure it would work well in your average cheesy nightclub, but I find it pretty forgettable.

All in all though (for me at least) there are 3 or 4 great tracks on this single - plus the video. At less than £3.00, you surely can't go wrong. The title track, by itself, really is a great update to a great original tune.

Page: 1 | 2