Profile for Simon > Reviews

PHP Reference: Beginner to Intermediate PHP5
PHP Reference: Beginner to Intermediate PHP5
by Mario Lurig

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly going out of date, 3 Oct. 2014
This is a great reference on basic PHP usage and functions. I constantly find myself picking up this book to either remind me of something I've forgoten or to learn something I need to know quickly. The book and print are a good size. It's not tiny and somewhat difficult to handle like the O'Reilly reference books are.

I've taken one star off because I was dissapointed with the section on regular expressions. Although as the author mentioned, regular expressions are an advanced topic which is covered well in other books. At least the basic syntax is clearly explained to the reader. The other issue with this book is that a good number of the basic functions documented have now been depricated (no longer work) so I have to use the internet to reference the replacement functions.

If the book was up to date I would have given it four or five stars. It's a very handy well written reference and it's a shame that a later edition hasn't been published.

Badger Classic Lip Balm Sticks Blue Set 4 Different Lip Balms USDA Organic
Badger Classic Lip Balm Sticks Blue Set 4 Different Lip Balms USDA Organic
Offered by Pure-Cosmetics

5.0 out of 5 stars These work well, 26 Mar. 2014
This is the best brand of lip balms I have tried. I bought my first Badger lip balm from a chemist years ago and was blown away by how much better it was compared to the previous lip balms I had tried. I've since moved home and now I can't get them where I live, hence having to order them over the internet. Thankfully the multi-packs are good value for money. I'd recommend these over E45, Chapstick and even Burt's Bees lip balms. These are quite effective, but you'll need to apply them more often if you're dehydrated.

Tubular Bells
Tubular Bells

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's go on a journey, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Tubular Bells (Audio CD)
I've heard good things about this release for years. I've read about how it was a breakthrough for Virgin Records, but for some reason I put off buying it for ages. What a mistake.

It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Without giving too much away, there is so much more to this than the notorious tune which is used for the intro to the film The Exorcist. Tubular bells is made up of two tracks, each taking you on a journey. I love second track, it moves through scenes long since lost to time. I don't only hear the music, I can see the pictures in my mind. I bet a lot of the styles hark back to traditional English and Nordic folk music. Tubular Bells lives up to its reputation as being an outstanding piece of music.

Razer Abyssus Mirror 3500DPI Gaming Mouse
Razer Abyssus Mirror 3500DPI Gaming Mouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Flawed design, 22 Mar. 2014
After happily using a Razer Krait for years, I needed a new basic gaming mouse to replace my current warn-out one. This seemed ideal, but is hasn't lived up to expectations.

The problem is that the mouse buttons take too much effort to press down. This appears to be due to the design. The plastic won't flex easily because of the shape of the mouse button, especially the far side of the button. With my old Razer Krait I was able to do right-left click combos in the blink of an eye, with virtually no effort. With this mouse, there is no chance of me being able to do that. My actions just stop dead because I failed to press the mouse button down.

I need a simple gaming mouse that has two buttons, a good wheel and good accuracy. This mouse lives up to those specifications. The resolution switches on the bottom of the mouse are very useful when switching between operating systems. But in the end, what good is a gaming mouse that has buttons that can't be pressed down easily? I'm really disappointed, I expected this mouse to be a good one. I'm seriously considering throwing it away right now. Even cheap Dell mice are easier to use than this is...

Update: I was able to get the mouse buttons to press down normally by using a small hacksaw to cut out a triangle of plastic from the side of each mouse button. This isn't something I should have to do. On top of that, the mouse wheel has started to squeak when turned in a particular direction. I have been using this mouse for less than two weeks, I'm not impressed at all.

HTML5 Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
HTML5 Pocket Reference (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Jennifer Niederst Robbins

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to the quality of earlier publications, 5 Nov. 2013
This 5th edition only deserves three stars as it is missing the tag headers at the top of each page. These are used to show what tag is first used on that page. Earlier editions worked like a HTML dictionary, with tag names stated in the top corner of each page. This edition is missing those so finding information is a lot harder than it should be.

The content itself is still good quality. HTML 5 has introduced a bunch of new tags and this book clearly notes which ones are not compatible with HTML 4.01. All the tags are well presented, clearly explained and most examples are adequate. To my dismay, there are no longer any colour codes listed at the back. Believe it or not, I do use those.

If O'Reilly can get the page headers back, then this book would deserve four and a half stars out of five.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 11:46 PM GMT

Earning Money at Home
Earning Money at Home
by Consumers' Association

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated, as expected, 3 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Earning Money at Home (Paperback)
This book was first published back in 1979 and probably hasn't been updated much since then. Developments such as the internet and changes in the economy have transformed working from home. At least two-thirds of this book is used to describe the pros and cons of various potential jobs such as dress making, typing, minding other peoples pets etc. While most of the advice is good, there is a large numbers of potential jobs not covered in this book. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the practical advice such as tax information is out of date. The section on financial details is only thirteen pages long. Even other books of this age addressed financial skills better than this one has.

There are some good tick-bits of advice in this book, but there are many other books which offer more relevant and up-to-date information.

Sextet 1939-1941
Sextet 1939-1941

4.0 out of 5 stars Charlie Christian and Benny Goodman, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Sextet 1939-1941 (Audio CD)
This music doesn't sound as 'alive' as other recordings of Charlie Christian I have heard. This can be a good or bad point depending on what you want. This CD probably doesn't show Charlie Christian at his best, as here he is just another musician in Benny Goodmans band.

Benny Goodman is as good as ever. In some of the tracks you've got Lionel Hampton on vibes and Count Basie on piano. The combination of these good musicians has produced some good music. I listen to this cd a lot, this is some good old jazz, but it doesn't leave me as satisfied as other recordings from this period.

Duke Ellington
Duke Ellington

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 26 July 2013
This review is from: Duke Ellington (Audio CD)
This CD starts with The Perfume Suite and continuous with a number of other equally entertaining tunes. Many of the songs have a definite touch of class to them. They are quite atmospheric. The recording quality is fine given the date they were recorded. The quality of the performances themselves are top notch.

I've bought a number of cheap Duke Ellington CD's and this was the best one I've found so far. This one I keep playing. It takes me off to another place and time. It's well worth picking up cheaply if you have the opportunity.

Track List:

1 - The Perfume Suite (Balcony Serenade, Strange Feeling, Dancers In Love, Coloratura)
2 - Take The "A" Train

Samsung 24x SATA Retail DVD Writer with 3 Bezels
Samsung 24x SATA Retail DVD Writer with 3 Bezels
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good general DVD drive, 30 Jun. 2013
This is generally a good quality drive for the price.

Having switchable front bezels is a neat feature. I still have a beige computer case, but with modern components inside. If I ever wanted to put the drive into a black or silver computer case, I can do so without ruining the look of the case. The only downside is replacing the bezels can be a bit fiddly.

It's not as noisy as other drives I've used in the past. This drive is virtually silent when playing CD's and DVD's. The fans in my computer are a lot noisier! There hasn't been any major problems burning CD's or DVD's. I've been using this for about six months and it has shown no signs of problems or faults. I'll probably only replace this drive when I upgrade to a Blu-ray drive, if I ever do that.

The description states that this drive requires Microsoft Windows to operate but I've played and burned CD's and DVD's using Linux without having to install additional drivers or other Samsung software.

Heinemann Modular Maths Edexcel Revise for Core Maths 2 (Heinemann Modular Mathematics for Edexcel AS and A Level)
by Greg Attwood

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reference, 18 Jun. 2013
I used this as a quick reference for exam revision and as a quick lookup book for basic Core 2 techniques. Just about everything I needed to know, and nothing more, was in this book. The key points of each topic are summarised at the beginning of each chapter. A few examples and some practice questions then follow. This book doesn't teach Core 2 material well, but it's not supposed to. More thorough textbooks and other learning resources exist to fill that role.

The only downside to this book is that it doesn't have an index at the back. I often found myself needing to know something specific, such as the equation of a circle, and not being able to find the page instantly. Instead I had to guess the chapter and waste time flicking through unrelated pages.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3