Profile for Nigel > Reviews

Nigel

Things I Learned From Knitting: ...whether I wanted to or not
Things I Learned From Knitting: ...whether I wanted to or not

4.0 out of 5 stars Things I learned from Knitting, 14 July 2013
I love the Yarn Harlot's books - for a start they make me feel normal. The only reason this has 4 stars instead of 5 is that I felt the book - however amusing - was similar to others she has published. But I enjoyed it anyway and I'm glad I got it.

Yarnwise
Yarnwise

2.0 out of 5 stars Yarnwise - fine in print but avoid the e version!, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Yarnwise (App)
I am pretty fond of Yarnwise as an actual physical object but as a Kindle download it dorve me nuts. I bought an issue I had missed which contained a pattern I liked but having to fiddle about with the size of the font ad nauseum just to read the thing - every page (it wouldn't carry over) - was seriously irritating. I really can't see how I would actually knit anything from the magazine in this format. So, sadly, I won't be buying an e-subscription and I will stick to the hard copy. This just didn't work for me.

Jamieson's Shetland Knitting Book 2: Book 2
Jamieson's Shetland Knitting Book 2: Book 2
by David Colding

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost the perfect vintage book..., 23 Feb. 2013
This is a beautifully illustrated book, with a few extras - for example, a recipe for biscuits at the back. The patterns are clearly laid out and rated for difficulty. Because most of the garments are traditional in style they haven't dated particularly, so, even though this book was first published in 2002, I still like virtually all of the patterns - in fact, some, like the Golden Lotus Kimono, the Olso Pullover and the Gilead Pullover (shawl collar version) are postively begging to be made. I only gave the book four stars instead of five as I think a few of the difficulty ratings are somewhat optimistic. The Hamefarin Raglan Pullover is rated as suitable for beginners but I think most would find it rather challenging, to say the least. Having said that, I would not quibble with the majority of the ratings and there is enough in this book to keep all levels of knitter happy.

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much
At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

5.0 out of 5 stars At knight's end...literally, 27 Jan. 2013
I loved this book. It made me smile - I am that obsessive knitter. But I also liked the quotes used to inspire each meditation, some of which really made me stop and think about how fortunate I really am. A gentle, witty book, to be read when you just can't knit, like on the commuter train I'm on now.