Profile for fabricndflowersuk > Reviews

A Bag for All Reasons: 12 all-new bags and purses to sew for every occasion
by Lisa Lam
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 1 Jun. 2012
The first thing to say it that it's spiral bound. I love spiral bound books - it just makes crafting so much easier when you're not trying to weight your book open at the right place with a pair of scissors which you're going to invariably need at any moment (or is that just me?!)!!! The techniques section at the front of the book is largely the same as in The Bag Making Bible with the exception of a new slimline concealed top-edge zip technique, but it's still a very useful reference tool and will at least save me switching between books during a project.

There is then an overview of all of the projects available - the ones that are on my hit list (so to speak!) are the Too Cool for School Satchel and the 3-in-1 bag. I also keep eyeing up the wallet as mine is starting to look a bit jaded and I think the vanity case would make a lovely present.

I have found that this book flows better than the Bag Making Bible - techniques, overview of all the projects, projects - and it is easy to flick to the instructions for each bag as the pages are bordered by fabric that was used for each bag. My only complaint is that some of the fabrics used are so pretty and I can't find anywhere in the book details of which fabrics are used for which bag. I'm just curious, what can I say!

A further improvement on the original book is the three full size pull-out patterns at the back of the book so no tracing required. Just cut and go!!! The only thing that would be really helpful would be an envelope at the back of the book that the pattern pieces could be put in for future use - I try my best to be organised but it does go awry quite often and it would be a pain to lose any pieces - but that is just me being very picky!