Profile for R. Kane > Reviews

Content by R. Kane

R. Kane "Listener" (Los Angeles)

Music Outside: Contemporary Jazz in Britain
Music Outside: Contemporary Jazz in Britain
by Roger Cotterrell
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all in here!, 29 Oct 2009
This book is worth the price of purchase for just the discography included here (well, in the original edition, which I have owned for many years). This definitely covers the 60's / 70's in British jazz with authority.

Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you get the re-mastered version!, 29 Oct 2009
Tons of material has been added to the re-mastered version, make sure you get that version!!

A very nice job, too! Much improved sound over the old version of this CD, it really comes to life. Extensive liner notes to busy the listener as vintage 1970 hard rock issues forth. "Into The Fire"!

I keep my Harvest UK LP of this title, with it's wonderful sleeve and decent pressing. I wonder why the American version has a different track order?

I can readily defend this album after all these years - sounds great, really good songs - very "heavy" sound.

Deep Purple have opther very, very good albums - but give this one a try if you're wondering which mid-line CD to try.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2012 2:18 PM GMT

The Remixes
The Remixes
Price: 7.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves you buying / finding many 12" singles!, 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Remixes (Audio CD)
A good one - this CD saves you buying many 12" singles - if you can even find them at all! I always love the slick Wally Badarou production work. Not sure how many tracks on this CD turned up as bonus tracks on the recent re-mastered L42 titles, but - as this is a mid-line - this is good value for your L42-money.

Lunch
Lunch

5.0 out of 5 stars Howard Werth & Co., 29 Oct 2009
This review is from: Lunch (Audio CD)
Ah, yes - the final Audience album. Do yourself a favor, and get all of their albums - "Audience", "Friends Friends Friends", "House On The Hill" and this, the mighty "Lunch". Howard Werth was never in better voice - I wish he had been who replaced Peter Gabriel in Genesis (but that's just my opinion!). His solo stuff is also very good, but, for my money, Audience were the real deal. Buy now!

Jack Good presents Lord Rockingham's XI from Oh Boy!
Jack Good presents Lord Rockingham's XI from Oh Boy!
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hoots Mon!, 29 Oct 2009
Might just be my imagination, but the version of "Hoots Mon" found here doesn't sound like my old 45 on Decca! I love this stuff, me - British instrumentals before The Beatles!

Keep on Running: The Story of Island Records
Keep on Running: The Story of Island Records
by Chris Salewicz

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book about Island Records, 29 Oct 2009
Everything I had wanted in a book about Island Records - perfect, except it doesn't have a proper discography. The graphics were quite good, covering every era of Chris Blackwell's magic. I kept turning pages, saying to myself - "I haven't seen that before!" (such as the "Bumpers" 4-panel graphics). A lovely coffee table book for fans of the label.