Profile for Tasneem > Reviews

Content by Tasneem

Tasneem "kitty" (Manchester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Slave Princess (Mills & Boon Historical)
Slave Princess (Mills & Boon Historical)
by Juliet Landon

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 9 April 2014
Landon is a great author who really brings the Roman Britain period to life with her descriptions of the clothes and the way they lived. I enjoyed the interplay between Bridget and Tiberius.

Honeymoon in Ceylon (Masquerade historical romances)
Honeymoon in Ceylon (Masquerade historical romances)
by Lee Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting setting, 9 April 2014
The beautiful Miss Camilla Marsh has been groomed from childhood for her marriage to Javier da Silva Ballantyne, the aristocratic owner of a tea plantation in Ceylon. Yet when she travels there in 1877 to marry the man she has never seen, her romantic dreams are shattered.

The estate at Ratnagalla is a paradise, but there are undercurrents threatening to make Camilla’s life there intolerable … particularly as her new husband obviously considers their marriage merely as a business arrangement.

Will Camilla let Javier’s stony indifference drive her back to England? Or will she stay to fight for the man she loves, the destiny she believes is theirs and the place towards which she feels all her life has been leading her?

The plot was not bad and I enjoyed the setting of the romance. I think Ceylon gets short-changed as a location for historical romance because India is so close-by.

Hostage to Pleasure
Hostage to Pleasure
by Nalini Singh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars a super read, 26 Jun 2011
Nalini Singh has become one of my favourite writers. Her characters are strong without being annoyingly irritating, her women are sensual and passionate without losing their dignity. The romance between the couple is hot, while the story manages to remain engaging. If you've read the books that precede this, you will adore this one in the series.

Slightly Tempted
Slightly Tempted
by Mary Balogh
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars super, 20 May 2011
I adore Balogh and this story is totally in her style. Morgan is such a wonderful heroine, smart, vivacious and captivating and Gervase embodies the best of what I think encapsulates the delectable rakish gentleman. A really wonderful story filled with love, life and laughter. A must read, especially if you want to understand the Bedwyns.

Garden Spells
Garden Spells
by Sarah Addison Allen
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars a delightful book, 27 April 2011
This review is from: Garden Spells (Paperback)
Very much in the writing style of Christina Jones, Joanne Harris and Alice Hoffman, Allen's Garden Spells is a magical tale of a town in the US and centres around the lives of two sisters. I found the story delightful and I really enjoyed the way in which she describes life in a small Southern town. I've never really enjoyed stories that seem to push American values down your throat, but this was done so deftly that it did not jar. I really enjoyed reading this book, which I borrowed from my local library, which then prompted me to purchase my own copy for easy re-reading. I think the test of a book's true worth is if it is as delightful the second time around. Garden Spells passed my test with flying colours.

The magical happenings are subtly woven in, and the descriptions of food had me feeling very peckish. I kept imagining how all the unusual foods would taste like. The two heroines, Sydney and Claire are so real, so very understandable. Beautiful book, well worth a read.

Thrillers: Genesis and Structure of a Popular Genre
Thrillers: Genesis and Structure of a Popular Genre
by Jerry Palmer

5.0 out of 5 stars the definitive guide, 17 April 2011
This is where you should go to first if you are keen to understand the theory behind the thriller. Be it an understanding of the hero or villain, the ideology or the socio-political dimensions, Palmer's text is the one you really should begin with.

Cover Stories: Narrative and Ideology in the British Spy Thriller (Popular Fictions Series)
by Michael Denning

5.0 out of 5 stars insightful, 17 April 2011
This book is essential reading if you are interested in the theory behind spy-thrillers. A very well researched book that will really help you understand what all the fuss is about. Begin with Jerry Palmer's 'Thrillers', then come to 'Cover Stories' so that you get the full picture. He talks in depth about realism and the effect of realism and how that works to build a good thriller. He also writes with insight about the ideology that drives the British spy-thriller.

Marvellous if you want to discover the motivations for Bond, and after.

A Caress Of Twilight: (Merry Gentry 2)
A Caress Of Twilight: (Merry Gentry 2)
by Laurell K Hamilton
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 28 Jan 2011
Given how much I enjoy Hamilton's work, this book was on par with her style. Merry continues in her adventures with much sex and magic. It's not a bad book, but I must admit I mainly read it to know what was going on with the series. I think some of the descriptions were far too repetitive and lacked imagination. But, I must not be too negative, I did enjoy it, it is a good mindless read. I also liked the way she has incorporated the goddess and mythology into her narrative.

The Hybrid Island: Culture Crossings and the Invention of Identity in Sri Lanka
The Hybrid Island: Culture Crossings and the Invention of Identity in Sri Lanka
by Neluka Silva

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 26 Dec 2010
This book puts forward through its different essays a very interesting premise about the inherent hybridity of the Sri Lankan people and nation. It goes into various cultural artefacts and outputs and explores how hybrid they really are. It looks at literature, furniture, music and a number of other disciplines and is a wonderful tool to looking at Sri Lankan history through fresh eyes.

100 Great Tapas
100 Great Tapas
by Pippa Cuthbert

3.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting and useful book, 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: 100 Great Tapas (Paperback)
I have used a number of recipes from this book and everything I made has turned out really well. Easy to understand and simple to make, this is a very good introduction to tapas.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5