Profile for A. J. Weston > Reviews

Content by A. J. Weston

A. J. Weston

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
1080p HD Outdoor Wireless Home Monitor WiFi IP Security Camera. Setup in 3 steps from iPhone, iPad and Android. 15m Night Vision, Motion Sensor, Remotely Viewable DVR, Free mobile/tablet apps and Free Unlimited Cloud DVR service. UCam247-HDO1080.
Offered by EyeSpy247
Price: 259.99

Gigaset SL400A Twin DECT Bluetooth Cordless Phone - Black / Silver
Gigaset SL400A Twin DECT Bluetooth Cordless Phone - Black / Silver
Price: 159.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Preliminary comment upon receipt, 10 July 2014
I've had cordless phones, two of them, for twenty years, replacing as they failed. The last set was a Siemens S79H pair that did well but now are not behaving. I bought a pair of SL400As. Previously I needed one power outlet per phone. Seems fair. Now I find I need three. That is hugely inconvenient. Why can't one handset plug into the base unit as before?

When I get them up and running I'll edit this and see how well they perform. Tiny little things compared to normal DECT phones.

FujiFilm ISO 200 35mm Color Print Film - 24 Exposures, 4 Pack-T37747
FujiFilm ISO 200 35mm Color Print Film - 24 Exposures, 4 Pack-T37747

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as required, 14 Jun 2014
Bought on behalf of an older relative who hasn't gone digital. Fuji has always produced good prints and these films did not disappoint.

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Orange
Price: 15.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe harsh but just a little more thought in the design..., 14 Jun 2014
I bought two of these to link and create better sound from my smartphone and maybe my laptop but I've not tried the latter yet.

It looks good, is reasonably priced and produces sound that is markedly better than my mobile can. No idea about battery life yet.
I've taken one star off because it uses a miniUSB plug when the industry standard is now the microUSB, which I use to charge my mobile and other devices.
It lost a star because of its stupidly small audio cable. Plug it into the mobile and you can't then use the mobile. The cable look so fragile it seems as if any messing about with it would cause damage. I've ordered an extension, so we'll see.
The short cables also mean connecting both to my mobile makes it even more awkward to use. Any stereo effect is lost because the units are too close together.
A few more pennies, 80cm cables and it would have been so much better.

Starship Summer
Starship Summer
Price: 1.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Starship Saga - puzzling, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Starship Summer (Kindle Edition)
I've read all three of the Starship series - Summer (the first), Fall and Winter, all novellas and each following on from the last. They should have been a single book. Fall is based five years after Summer and Winter two years after Fall.

The plot is clever enough, entertaining but, and it's a big 'but' - the reader learns almost nothing about the characters and through the three books there is no character development. It's true we learn why Conway, the protagonist, has moved to the planet Chaldonay but that's it. We know he drinks far too much. We don't know much about the rest of his life. If I were cruel I'd say this was a book written by a teen who had no experience of life to pass on in a story, but Eric Brown has been publishing for a long time.

There is no mention of the society of Chaldonay itself, or how Earth is coping with interstellar colonisation. The science in the sc-fi part is okay as far as it goes but doesn't play a large part in the stories. That's fine, if the rest is about the characters, but it isn't. Famous Five Goes to Space (UK Children's literature reference there).

For me these stories are plot outlines to be filled in at a later date because I find no depth in them. Peter Hamilton wrote the introduction to Starship Summer. Hamilton's own work is leagues ahead of Eric Brown's.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Sausages
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Convoluted joy..., 19 Feb 2014
Yes, the multiple universes and manifold characters can be complex but they seem to meld into a literate sci-fi/fantasy treat. Much recommended.

PLOB - The first THREE books in ONE Hilarious package
PLOB - The first THREE books in ONE Hilarious package
Price: 3.32

2.0 out of 5 stars Depressingly derivative., 19 Feb 2014
There is no doubt Zerf is trying hard. Too hard. The humour is lumpen and lacking spark, the plot lacks flow. It jumps and jerks, and the clear nods towards Tom Holt's excellent and much more literate books make one want to see if Holt's written anything new lately.
I won't be buying any more in this series.

VISCONTI Mens LEATHER SLIM Breast/Suit Pocket WALLET in Black or Brown supplied with Box (Chocolate Brown)
Offered by Biggest Little Shop Online Limited
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A tad thick for suit pockets, 25 Dec 2013
Very good quality item that does just what I want from a wallet for casual use in coats and the like. It is not slim-fit.
The leather is pliable and feels really nice. Pockets and zip are good. Recommended.

HYDESTYLE Mens Venator Distressed Leather Trifold Wallet #GW55
HYDESTYLE Mens Venator Distressed Leather Trifold Wallet #GW55
Offered by GiftsPage Ltd
Price: 28.92

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for slim fitting suits, 25 Dec 2013
I'm pretty pleased with this wallet. It feels good in the hand: the pockets, zips and stitching are quality. I do like the distressed look (matches my mood often enough!).

It is a bit bulky even before you add anything into it so it will show in a back pocket and it won't fit comfortably in a suit pocket. One for the casual-clothes wearer, like me.

Buy it with confidence if the thickness is not an issue for you.

Northworld Trilogy
Northworld Trilogy
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but flawed, 9 Aug 2013
Some might find it mean that I give only 3 stars to a trilogy I was happy to read and by which I was entertained. But 5 stars can't be beaten and there are few of those. Four stars for me is too much given its flaws.

The author makes great play of the legitimacy of the story based upon Norse/Icelandic sagas but little of that grounding is evident. If he'd not said, nobody would have noticed.

The introduction of Nils Hansen, the protagonist was good. With little gap the reader is transported with Hansen into what seems an almost subuniverse held together by the Matrix and which contains eight worlds created by the survivors of Earth expeditions sent to explore that part of space and who themselves were made into gods.

Hansen is a warrior fighting endless battles with a mix of weariness and rage. The battles, are well-told, warts and all affairs. He's able to move between the worlds at will but his reason for so doing, or not, isn't given. He too has godlike powers but these are seldom used.

As others have noted the other characters are not very well drawn (maybe Sparrow is more real than the others) and by the end one has learned almost nothing about anyone or anything.

The story itself simply stops, without any form of conclusion. It's not even a hanging ending - it just stops. Disappointing.

All this notwithstanding it was quite a good read and the battlesuits are novel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5