Profile for Fontwell > Reviews

Behringer 6-In-1 CT100 Cable Tester
Behringer 6-In-1 CT100 Cable Tester
Offered by Manchester Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it, 22 Sept. 2014
I have been quite impressed with this bit of kit. It gets used mostly for checking out xlr's and guitar lead jacks. I'm from the school of "don't look at the instructions unless you really need to", and the labelling is clear enough that I haven't needed to. You plug in an xlr (say), hit the reset, and then you should see a diagonal LED pattern for 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3. Then you give the lead a good shake about and any intermittent connections get latched so that you see it has failed - simples!

Apart from testing / fault finding cables I've found the test tone very useful when setting up a PA on my own. I can set mic trim levels to be nominally correct on unfamiliar desks by using the test tone and the desk PFL. I can do a silent check of each mic channel connectivity (silent by using PFL, the point being that I can be at the desk and have the tone generator on stage). And I can check all the speakers and monitors are connected and working by listening for the tone in each speaker (as distinct from walking round with a mic).

One review made the fair point that the "cable/ tone / off" switch can get knocked such that it gets left on and drains the battery. I solved this by putting a bit of electrical tape over the switch and down the side. This prevents the switch getting knocked on and you just flip back the tape to change setting - much less faff than keeping it in the box.

Gutter Pipe Leaf Wire Balloon 63-75mm
Gutter Pipe Leaf Wire Balloon 63-75mm
Offered by Wire Balloons

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed, 22 Sept. 2014
They look like works of art! I fitted four to a large property with square downpipes and they snapped into place very nicely. Note that if the tiles are very low to the gutter or if the overlap of the tiles over the gutter is big, then it could potentially be a problem to fit them - but that is hardly a fault of the product, just a bit of info for your consideration.

McNett Freesole Rubber Repair Glue, 28 g
McNett Freesole Rubber Repair Glue, 28 g
Offered by ScaleFarm

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!!, 22 Sept. 2014
I think you can only really appreciate how good this stuff is if you have tried repairing shoes or boots without it. I've tried to do home repairs on boots and shoes when they were rejected by the cobblers and it is impossible to get a glue that both sticks and is flexible, and even ignoring that you still have the issue what to stick onto the sole or heel. I know you can get rubber patches and heels to stick on but in practice they need a lot of shaping or the surfaces don't meet properly and I've never had one stay on for more than about 10 paces.

This stuff on the other hand just works. It sticks flappy bits together and can also be used to build up a surface that you can walk on.

To build up a heel or sole you have to use it on an upturned sole and dam it in with tape (eg electrical tape) or blu tack because it flows and takes maybe a day to set completely. You need to have a good think about what you can achieve in one go because you can only leave the shoe in one position while it sets and it may be that you need to take several sessions to repair different places. It's quite viscous and very sticky.

Someone tipped me to store it in a freezer once opened, otherwise it sets in the tube. This appears to work but it isn't mentioned in the instructions.

It is quite expensive for a tube of glue but that is offset against the fact that it actually works. I repaired the split sole on a boot and built up it's heel again. They were rejected as impossible to repair by the cobbler and would have cost about £50 to place with an equivalent. That was about 3 months ago and they are still going strong.

Victorinox 0622330 Army Knife Classic SD Black
Victorinox 0622330 Army Knife Classic SD Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and excellent, 22 Sept. 2014
So in reality it's a manicure set and not a big manly knife, but this is thing; You put it on your key ring or in your jeans coin pocket, and then it's just always there. When you need some tweezers or scissors or a blade it's just there. When you get it out some people will tell you all about their Swiss Army knife with really big scissors and a more suitable blade. But of course it's at home in their bedroom because no one actually carries a knife that big around. And cutting something with a blade that's a bit small versus cutting it with a blade that's at home in their bedroom, well, small obviously wins.

NEW CLARKE PRO VAC KING WET/DRY VACUUM CLEANER CVAC20SS
NEW CLARKE PRO VAC KING WET/DRY VACUUM CLEANER CVAC20SS
Offered by Miller Tools Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars One annoying detail..., 7 Nov. 2013
Generally good product but inexplicably the catches are held in place by self tapping screws that rust in wet conditions. For a stainless steel bodied product intended for wet and dry use, this seems a like a ridiculous oversight. I wouldn't want to advise against the whole cleaner for this one point but if you intend to suck up wet material regularly, then you may want to take some preventative measures, such as duct taping over the screw heads before it is ever used at all.

ROCKET DBE34BK Electric Double Bass Outfit - Black
ROCKET DBE34BK Electric Double Bass Outfit - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but get one anyway, 15 Oct. 2013
If you hunt around on the net you will find that the common complaint with these models is general quality control. The one I got was essentially free of manufacturing problems. It sounds good to me, although I come to it as a bass guitar player not a double bassist. The action upon arrival was quite high, which I like, but easily adjusted down. I have very quickly come to love playing on it.

My gripe is that this great looking and generally rather impressive instrument is let down by rather stupid things.

The internal hole that the end pin pulls out from is too wide and when you tighten up the thumb screw, the whole end pin rattles tremendously all the time when playing. My fix was to take off the little back plate and you can then get access to the top of the end pin. Having pushed the end pin in, I wrapped some electrical tape loosely round its very top and tapered it in going a bit lower, so it would feed into the hole when the end pin was pulled out. This has fixed the rattling, tho I'm not sure if it is a permanent solution.

There are two screw-in side arms, which simulate the body of the bass. One of these you can just toss, but the one between your body and the neck is worth keeping, as it keeps the neck from falling into you and gives you a means to balance the bass. The gripe here is that the captive screw-in bolts/threads on the arm, don't have a washer. This means they work themselves loose and rattle. I fixed this by going to a hardware store with the arm and getting two black rubber washers for 25p each.

Note that I could have just used a tool to really tighten up the nuts but there are two issues; One is that I don't want to strip the threads; The other is that when going to gigs / rehearsals, you need to take the arm off to get it in the bag (the bag is outstandingly good BTW), and you don't want to be fannying about with a pair of pliers every time.

Finally, on an open D I get a rattle from the machine heads. It isn't a loose screw or nut, and I always tighten up (not down) when tuning, it just seems to be that the machine heads intrinsically rattle on this note. As far as I can tell you can't hear this through the pickups, so it isn't a show stopper, but it is very annoying.

So while I'm generally pleased with the Stagg EUB, it amazes me that such a large and complex piece of kit can be let down by such trivial things.

NEW OFFSET CRANK GUITAR EFFECT PEDAL 1/4 CONNECTOR LEAD
NEW OFFSET CRANK GUITAR EFFECT PEDAL 1/4 CONNECTOR LEAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Excellent, 1 Dec. 2012
These are so cool and really help declutter a stage or neaten up a pedal board. The offset means that pedals from different manufacturers can sit snuggly side by side and each flat on the floor because the connector automatically swivels in place. It would just be nice if they were £1.50 or £2.

Elixir Bass Guitar Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating Long Scale, 4 String - Light (0.045 - 0.100)
Offered by Superstrings

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Bass Strings, 1 Dec. 2012
I've used these strings for many years after trying a fair variety of other brands. When new they don't have that excessively bright tone of new round wound strings, so if you like that sound and are prepared to keep buying new sets, then go with that.

When I used to get non coated strings the tone would start out very bright and then just keep getting worse for ever. What I like about nano web is they start out with the sound of a slightly played in set and then pretty much stay that way forever. I have mostly gone several years between changes and even then it is because eventually they break, as do all strings in the end, but they still sound fine up to that point.

They are quite an expensive string in the first place but they last way longer and I'm sure they cost less in the long run.

Behringer DI20 Ultra-DI 2 Channel DI Box/Splitter
Behringer DI20 Ultra-DI 2 Channel DI Box/Splitter

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Satisfied, 9 Feb. 2012
I've had this for over a year for live music and I can't find a problem. After experimenting with just my desk and good quality earphones, I can't detect any loss in sound quality for active guitars. Obviously the sound changes for the better when used with passive pickups. There is a long running issue about construction quality and ruggedness with Behringer but I think things have changed. Either way, the fact that you get two perfectly good DI channels for less than the price of one on most other boxes, made me prepared to take a chance. I dare say some people can tell the difference between this and a DI box costing £120 but mostly I believe it is wishful thinking. Certainly for live music I challenge anyone to spot a difference.

NEW BODHRAN MICROPHONE & CLAMP KIT ALSO FOR SNARE OR HAND DRUM
NEW BODHRAN MICROPHONE & CLAMP KIT ALSO FOR SNARE OR HAND DRUM
Offered by Really Useful Music Company (RUMC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, 21 July 2011
I've just tried out one of these on a bodhran and it is pretty darn good. The mic is really designed to be a kit drum mic and the clip is intended to fix onto the rim of a snare or tom. I was expecting that the output might be a bit low on a bodhran but in fact it is well above the level produced by most singers on a vocal mic, so no worries there. Also the sound is full bodied and sounds pretty much just like the actual bodhran including picking up rim shots. There is one small point against it, hence the loss one star. Having tried to clip it onto two bodhrans, the clip doesn't really open wide enough. It fitted on one at max openness and only fitted on the other by virtue of the bodhran having one part of the rim which was thinner than the rest. I dare say that with a scalpel the rubber could be trimmed back or you could fashion another bracket to clip to but if this really was a dedicated bodhran mic it would open up another half inch. Having said that, assuming it can be fitted onto your bodhran it is a million times better than a free standing mic in sound quality, consistency of level and freedom of movement. And as for the price, you can't go wrong. Why tie up an £80 SM57 when this will be better in every way at a fraction of the cost.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 12:36 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3