Profile for R. Pestridge > Reviews

Content by R. Pestridge

R. Pestridge

Page: 1 | 2
Invicta Speedway Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Chronograph Display and Multicolour Stainless Steel Bracelet 6932
Offered by All Glitters!!!
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice indeed!, 5 July 2014
What an amazing watch. The quality far exceeds the price paid for this watch. A real eye opener when viewed for the first time. Will have to have some links removed for it to fit my wrist but that is not a problem. Look forward to getting much enjoyment from wearing and using this watch! Beautiful.

California Breed (Deluxe Edition + dvd)
California Breed (Deluxe Edition + dvd)
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good breed, indeed., 24 May 2014
I'm already thinking this will be the best album I've bought this year, even after just a few plays.
Everything is correct and present, start to finish, from the assault of 'Midnight Oil' to the more gentle 'All Falls Down'.
This will be on heavy rotation between my ears for some time to come.
Well done Mr. Hughes, Mr. Bonham & Mr. Watt..... keep up the good work.

The Hunt
The Hunt
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Go hunt this down!, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Hunt (MP3 Download)
Caught them supporting The Answer, in Oxford (08.03.14) and on the strength of an amazing performance bought this CD at the gig (and the band very kindly signed it for me.

This is a really good debut album from a band who play/sound like they've been doing this for years. Quality.

Horns and Halos
Horns and Halos
Price: 10.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational Overdrive!, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Horns and Halos (Audio CD)
I had the privilege of seeing this Finnish nutter supporting Motorhead a few years back at Brixton Academy, climbing all over the lighting rigs, giving a full range of his back catalogue. What a showman, along with the band seriously gave Lem and the boys a run for their money on that occasion!

Seroiusly, this is a fantastic album, not a duff track in sight. It's been In my ears since arrival. In my humble opinion, better than the last - just seems a bit more consistent.

If you're a fan, why haven't you got this already (ok, it took me a few months!!), if not give it a go. Inspirational, life affirming stuff. Top quality Punk Rock.

The Lords of Salem [DVD]
The Lords of Salem [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sheri Moon Zombie
Price: 5.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Not done by numbers!, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lords of Salem [DVD] (DVD)
Being a fan of Mr. Zombies' films, I had read mixed reviews of this one. I tried to avoid trailers, spoilers etc. as I think in this media overkill age they tend to ruin the experience of watching a film. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want my 'film experience' to be spoon fed to me.

I'm not going to tell you what happens, other than to say this is not the most commercial work Rob Zombie has done and in turn is quite 'arty' and beautifully filmed (why there's no apparent UK Blu-ray release, is a complete mystery??). For me it harks back to films like John Carpenters 'The Fog' & elements of Kubricks 'The Shining'. It is NOT a 'slasher' style film, which I believe many were hoping for/expecting (Don't expect another 'Devil's Rejects'). There is still plenty of stark and disturbing imagery - atmospheric stuff.

This is an experience. Turn the lights out, turn the volume up and jump into the vision (and occasionally off your sofa!).

Great film, look forward to see where he goes after this............?

Handful of Dreams
Handful of Dreams
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Rock!, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Handful of Dreams (MP3 Download)
Having heard a couple of tracks 'heavily rotated' on Planet Rock (the brilliant 'Wishing Eye' & 'Sundown'), they'd been burrowing into my head for some time, I thought I'd give the album a go. I am very glad I did as there is a great deal on offer here. Nothing is sub-standard or filler - I can quite happily listen to the whole album back to back. Heavy rock with quieter moments, a good balance with quality production values. I hope the band continue and succeed on their journey. I for one will be looking forward to seeing them live in March this year!

Days Are Gone
Days Are Gone
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my usual cup of tea!, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Days Are Gone (MP3 Download)
Heard of this group by complete accident on Jools Hollands' New Years Eve show. Very different from what I would normally listen to (Rock/Metal/Thrash across the decades etc.)but there was more to this than the 'pop' tag attached. Although this album doesn't really display the live interpretation, that is far more raw in approach, the quality of musicianship and song writing shines through. Great album. A pleasant surprise for 2014!! I now need to see them live!

Fortress
Fortress
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best to date!, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fortress (Audio CD)
I've been a fan for many years and seen them live on numerous occasions. With their last release ABIII, as good as it was, I felt like I wanted more! Greedy, perhaps? Fortress is an amazing album from start to finish and it sounds like an album. Not just a couple of big tracks and the rest 'filler' - this is complete.

Musically it surpasses the amazing 'Blackbird' album, because of its range and myriad of styles. The vocals are incredible and the musicianship is superb. This is a band that have had a tough run of things, work incredibly hard and put their hearts and souls into their music.

This album marks a new level of energy and exciting times ahead. Go buy it, you won't be disappointed!

This Is The Six
This Is The Six
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars This is POWERFUL STUFF!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: This Is The Six (MP3 Download)
While She Sleeps have captured the energy and power in this recording. I'm quite selective about the music I like, especially when it comes to vocals. The precision of the musicians is awesome, and ok, the vocals are 'screaming' but fit perfectly. My favourite track is 'This Is The Six'.
I'm looking forward to seeing them open the Main stage on Friday of the Reading Festival this year - this will be even better live.
I'm a fan of lots of different Rock music - but I guess this is more the Thrash metal end of things, if you like (early) Metallica, Slipknot, Bring Me The Horizon, Soil, The Amity Affliction etc.

Maniac [Blu-ray]
Maniac [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Price: 8.82

4.0 out of 5 stars The Struggle Within, 6 July 2013
This review is from: Maniac [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Pre-ordered this through Amazon as soon as I heard about it.
Elijah Wood puts himself right 'out there' by being involved here and his input and performance, in my opinion, are awesome. The portrayal of Frank is so detached and very creepy.
Stylistically the film looks beautiful and that is in, I guess, deliberate contrast to the subject matter. This is not a standard Hollywood slasher movie. The POV perspective is powerful and at times makes watching the film a claustrophobic experience putting you right inside Franks head.
There is sexual/violent content, but lets face it, it's not like I was expecting an easy bit of viewing from this.
At the end I felt quite numb from the experience, it seems wrong to say that I enjoyed it - but in a way, I understand what other reviews have said about wanting more, and that's the only reason I'd not give 5 stars.
Give it a go. It is intense and extreme but perhaps could have been pushed even further by being given more depth in places.

Page: 1 | 2