Profile for Lady Vibart > Reviews

Content by Lady Vibart

Lady Vibart (north wales, Great Britain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ignore the Awkward.: How the Cholesterol Myths Are Kept Alive
Ignore the Awkward.: How the Cholesterol Myths Are Kept Alive
by Uffe Ravnskov

5.0 out of 5 stars A real eye opener and a very brave book, 29 Mar 2012
Having read reports about Dr. Ravnskov's work, & being under pressure by the Consultant to take Statins as I have familial hyperchloresteria, it was a real eye opener to read about all the scientifically run studies that show little or no connection between fatty food and blood cholesterol levels and also, more important, that the survival rate for older women like myslef with high cholesterol, is very much better in many 'illness' scenarios, than those with low cholesterol! The arguments (and studies carried out by Medical Universities in the US and Europe) show clearly just how we are being manipulated by the Big Pharma/big Food companies into believing the $29 billion myth that Statins and low cholesterol will do us good, when much of the evidence is just the opposite. Dr. Ravnskov is a very brave man to go against the accepted(and very lucrative) creed that we must lower our cholesterol to improve our health. The very frightening aspect is that Goliath has all the aces and can hoodwink the media/government and above all doctors into often frightening us into taking statins and cutting back on 'supposedly' bad saturated fats. The food companies are delighted as animal fat is expensive and if they can sell us a cheap chemical substitute and make millions, who cares about the effects on our health? Funny how diabetes/mental health and obesity have exploded since we have all stopped eating fatty meat, delicious butter and cream and instead have stuffed ourselves with high fibre cheap seed/vegetable based carbohydrates.. could this be the cause of the problems? I am aware that any study can be selective in order to back up their argument, which of course is rife in Big Pharma land, but Dr. Ravnslov makes an extremely convincing argument and the fact that he is vilified and attacted by those on the Pharmacutical payroles speaks volumes in itself. If he was totally wrong they wouldn't even bother. We have had the Thalidomide scandal, the HRT scandal, The Prozac scandal and yet still the media don't appear to want to examine what this David has to say.. Whether you agree or not, this book will definitley make you think, and wonder if you are being conned by the big boys making the millions! It is very strange that the very reports they have funded clearly state that lowering cholesterol via statins in so many cases equated with an over all higher mortality rate yet the drug companies were able to interpret it as just the opposite! Dr Ravnskov asks some very awkward questions indeed, questions that we should all be told the answers to by doctors and scientists not in the pocket of the Big 6! Interesting that most doctors no longer take the Hippocratic oath 'first do no harm'.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2013 8:03 PM BST

The Great Cholesterol Con
The Great Cholesterol Con
by Dr Malcolm Kendrick

4.0 out of 5 stars what the doctors don't tell you!, 13 Dec 2011
Having been diagnosed with High cholesterol and told it's probably hereditary I have been put under a lot of pressure by the consultant to start taking Statins. I was looking for evidence to see if they would be beneficial and also to find out how 'dangerous' my cholesterol levels were. So far I have resisted taking them having read articles in 'What the doctors don't tell you' etc and have had so much negative feedback about them in normal chats with friends that I am even less convinced of their safety. Reading Dr kendrick's book has given me a lot more insight into the false science peddled to make the drug companies rich and us ill. I doubt if the book is 100% correct, and it is easy to take statements out of context etc but since Dr Kendrick isn't selling anything, except his book, I can't see that he would have an axe to grind. The book is quite readable and often very amusing and makes lots of very interesting points. He mentions the harmful effect for example of statins on the muscles.. when I mentioned this to the consultant she said 'the heart muscle was different from other muscles so not affected'! Brilliant, I'll be unable to walk or move but have a fine healthy heart! Just what I've always needed. Having worked in a GP's surgery I am well aware of the 'treats' provided by the drug sellers to the doctors and staff - lovely lunches etc and maybe more.And the point he makes about healthy people being turned into patients as in the Norwegians with highest life expectancy in the West is very relevant and worrying. He also produces evidence printed in the BMJ and The Lancet that do not support statins as the wonder drug they are advertised as.In other areas of medicine, Drug companies appear to be slowly and surreptitously widening the description of ailments in order to sell more drugs regardless of the outcome. For example, On a Woman's Hour programme a year of so ago, they discussed a campaign in the US about social anxiety, seemingly funded by a drug company to make people 'aware of this illness' before launching their product. One of the criteria was 'feeling anxious when entering a room of strangers'!!!! This is 100% normal animal reaction - we would probably not survive long if we didn't feel anxious in new surroundings or with strangers etc- they could be head hunters, violent criminals or whatever. So the companies are gradually brain washing the medical profession into accepting that natural phenomena are symptoms of illness. As Dr Kendrick points out, the drug companies are reducing the level of 'acceptable' cholesterol every year. A few years ago it was 6 now it's 3. Would that be to sell more drugs? I would have liked a bit more on the effects of stress which seems to be all bundled up in a short final chapter, but generally a very thought provoking book.Whatever your take on medicine/drug companies etc, if you are thinking of taking Statins, read this book first to get a different perspective from the one peddled by GPs. Then decide.

Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
Preserves: River Cottage Handbook No.2
by Pam Corbin

5.0 out of 5 stars seasons of mist & mellow fruitfulness, 18 Nov 2011
I have just finished 3 of Hugh's Hedgerow recipes from this book - The Haw Ketchup is delicious - nicer than any tomato ketchup I have tried. My wrists are no longer as strong as they were, or maybe just that I'm not a man, so after trying to mash the haws through a sieve and failing, I whizzed them in the processor and then through sieve. Perfect! Lovely with sausages or game terrine or even cold turkey. The Hedgerow Jelly took quite a bit of work gathering enough hips,haws,crabs etc but was worth it. Delicious on warm scones though I did tart mine up with ginger,cloves and lime juice. But full of vitamins and minerals and can hold its own against the very best of sweet jellies. The same for Rose hip syrup which was very easy to make after I stopped feeling guilty depriving the birds of their berries. Lovely taste and very soothing for a sore throat, cold etc and nothing like the chemist bought stuff. I also did the beetroot with sun dried tomatoes and it's also superb and a nice change from pickled variety. I would recommend this to anyone wanting something different and with time to forage and prepare free food that tastes very special. It does help to have the right equipment too, eg jelly bag/jam thermometer etc.

THE BRAMBLY HEDGE TREASURY
THE BRAMBLY HEDGE TREASURY
by Jill Barklem

4.0 out of 5 stars a delightful tale for children up to 80 years old, 4 Sep 2011
This is a small part of all the Brambly Hedge stories about the Mice who live there, including Wilfrid & Primrose and Mrs Toadflax. Well suited to be read aloud to childen or for older ones to read themselves. Lots of colourful drawings and pictures of what's happening too. The videos are lovely too . Personally I prefer the small individual books rather than a Treasury, but that's just my taste. I was given these by a friend 3 years ago when stuck in bed with flu..Read with hot cocoa and toast and warm blamkets on a cold afternoon, they are a real treasure at any age.
Children will be delighted with the mice children's adventures and there is subtle learning going on there too.

Kitchen Craft Home Made Self Adhesive Jam Jar Labels - Fruit, Pack of Thirty
Kitchen Craft Home Made Self Adhesive Jam Jar Labels - Fruit, Pack of Thirty
Offered by Classikool® Baking, Beauty & Beyond

4.0 out of 5 stars the icing on the cake, 8 Aug 2011
these pretty labels make all your hard work look so much more attractive, unless you are an artist and can design your own. There are different designs to choose from and they look good on any size or shape bottle with plenty of room to write all the ingredients if required. When I put them on the shelf next to my simple white labels, they looked far more more attractive.. however, if the stuff in the bottle is good, it isn't that vital to have bought labels.

River Cottage Every Day
River Cottage Every Day
by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

5.0 out of 5 stars scrumptious and easy - a real gourmet book, 8 Aug 2011
I have tried several of HFW recipes and find them very down to earth and usually quite easy. I have been looking for a good belly pork recipe and found one in Every Day recipes - it was so easy - just crush a few coriander & fennel seeds and then the cook according to the instructions. - Divine.. It took less than 5 minutes to prepare and it was succulent and tender with wonderful crisp snap-your-finger crackling and with the extra herb flavouring, the gravy made from the juices was too good for the gods! I can't wait to try some more from this book. i love his attitude to life, being an organic gardener myself, and what he did and still does to raise awareness of inhumane animal rearing was in all our interest. Every Day Cookbook is real find and every bit as good as the series. If everyone followed his ideas we would soon be self sufficient and enjoying wonderful local produce maybe even our own work. Great recipes, tasty and seasonal so all the goodness of eating fresh produce combined with inspiring recipes. What more could you ak for...

An essential course in modern Spanish
An essential course in modern Spanish
by H Ramsden
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect Spanish grammar reference, 13 Nov 2010
I have used Ramsden's grammar since I studied under him at Manchester in the early 70's. A picture is worth a 1000 words and an example is golden when explaining the rules of grammar. Prof Ramsden's examples are clear and give you that 'oh, now I see' feeling when working out why it's preterite and not imperfect.. or the pitfalls of confusing 'ser' and 'estar'- there's a huge difference between Estoy buena' and Soy buena as any young woman will discover to her cost- or not- as the case or her libido maybe! Although written for University students, this is an accessable reference for anyone wanting to improve their Spanish. I use it to explain to my group of 'oldies' (70+) and they all find it very clear and conscise. I was overjoyed to find a copy on Amazon in good condition but would have have settled for a dog eared one, so great is my belief in it's usefulness for learning/checking/teaching Spanish grammar. Nothing else comes up to it.

The Perfect Pickle Book
The Perfect Pickle Book
by David Mabey

3.0 out of 5 stars when is a pickle not a pickle?, 13 Nov 2010
Since I'm taking a sabbatical from work and have a large vegetable patch and an Orchard, I have been collecting books on all kinds of preserving, chutneys relishes etc. Some of the recipes in this book make me want to sing - they're exotic and a lovely change from green tomato chutney or bramble and apple that abound. Some of them made me want to cry - and it wasn't just peeling the onions - they just didn't seem to pick up on the modern trends in British cooking- and the poor old carrot is a sadly neglected veg not just in this book but in many others. A bit more modern amd adventurous combining would be my idea of a Perfect Pickle book not just throwing in ones from Marrakesh etc

Smile or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World
Smile or Die: How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World
by Barbara Ehrenreich

5.0 out of 5 stars a book with a view, 11 Jan 2010
Having read 'Who moved my Cheese?'/ Authentic Happiness etc with makes happiness seem so easy to attain , just an attitude really, it is most refreshing to read 'Smile or Die' which comes across as a well researched and clear thinking explanation of how being a realist is more likely to succeed than the endless Pollyanism of Positive Psychology. I was totally enthralled by Seligman's 'Authentic Happiness' and its ideas,even though it didn't seem to work . It must be me, I thought. However, I realise that all emotions, whether joyful or painful, are markers that point out what is/isn't happening in our lives. In her thought provoking study, Ehrenreich neatly lays out the 'Quo bono' question? Who benefits from Positive Psychology ? Big business and the state! WHo pays for research into Positive Psychology? Big business. Why would they do this apart, from humanitarian motives, wanting to share the 'good' attitudes that got them their megabucks, with the rest of us? Well no actually. The writer points out the rather sinister lining behind the 'positive' facade, showing how brain washing under the Shah and in Korea meant that if you questioned the status quo, the poverty and brutality that existed you were spreading defeatism which was a punishable crime. She points out how financial realists such as Gelbrand, who ran the property section of Lehmans were already pointing out that they seriously needed to rethink their 'positive pollyana' attitude, as early as 2006. The CEO, fired him for being negative! She points out that anxiety and realism are tools that help us to survive rather than hinder us. That unchecked optimism that is not based on fact is an undesirable and often dangerous attitude. After all who would go to sea in a storm without safety rafts,flares etc and feel at ease... a child perhaps ? Ehrenreich clearly illustrates how the assumption that 'positive' = good and desirable, has helped us get into the mess we are in at the moment. As she says, if we realistically examine our circumstances, we have far more chance of putting things right and so being happy. As a Psychotherapist and someone interested in living life to the full, I would highly recommend this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 1:26 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4