Profile for Lady Vibart > Reviews

Content by Lady Vibart

Lady Vibart (north wales, Great Britain)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Parrot in the Pepper Tree: A Sequel to Driving over Lemons: A Sort of Sequel to "Driving Over Lemons" (The Lemons Trilogy)
by Chris Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, interesting and inspiring. A delightful bird's eye view into an Englishman's life in Spain!, 27 April 2015
I was given Driving over lemons' by Chris Stewart when on holiday in Spain and expected it to be just another travelogue, a bit mundane and uninspiring so I was very happy to discover what a quirky and amusing author he is. This is the second in his trilogy chronicling his move to and adoption of deepest Andalucia as his home. As an Hispanophile and ex resident of Spain, I really enjoyed his descriptions, often very self deprecating and tongue in cheek, of the joys and tribulations of Spanish rural life. He describes the farm he and his long suffering but supportive wife, Ana and their daughter live in, with no running water or electrics not to mention a phone. His brushes with the locals and how he gets them to accept him. He tells it all, warts and all, both the good and the bad, in his delightful optimistic and accepting fashion. We sweat with him as he shears impossibly lumpy, scrawny tick ridden sheep, and enjoy the ride when his ever ready neighbour helps him rebuild the bridge across the river, the only access by road to the farm. It is a very human story of struggling against the odds, accepting what is, and a deeply passionate love of the Andalucian peasant farmers' way of life, barely changed over the last century. It's uplifting and swings along in an easy, relaxed style. I'm looking forward to 'The Almond Blossom appreciation society' next.

iPhone 5s Case, iPhone 5s Flip Case, ULAK Premium PU Leather Wallet Stand Flip Case Cover for Apple iPhone 5 / iPhone 5s with Designer Pattern and Clear Screen Protector (Follow the Sky)
Offered by Pandamimi--The Great ULAK Case Company

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but No protection for an iPhone, 27 April 2015
Ive just bought an iPhone and was concerned about dropping and damaging ,it so I ordered this sensible looking and attractive case only to find that my iPhone kept slipping out whenever I opened the case! I asked various other folk to fit the phone in, in case I'd done it wrong, though there is only one way it can possibly fit, and they had the same problem. It's a nice idea but the casing to hold the iPhone is cheap plastic and just doesn't do the job. Maybe I was unlucky and got a dud one. It's a pity as it's very attractive and if it held the phone securely, it would be very useful. Sadly this wasn't my experience .

Neat Ideas Salad Spinner
Neat Ideas Salad Spinner
Offered by Neat Ideas Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and efficient, 27 April 2015
When my last spinner eventually died,I'm looked at more than 20 different salad spinners and this one seems good and sensible. It arrived promptly and takes a good load of salad leaves of all shapes and sizes. Enough for a small salad for 4 or a main course for 2 people, depending how much leafy stuff you like. It's much narrower and also taller than traditional spinners so takes less room on the shelf which is good. It spins quickly and easily and leaves the salad nice and dry. With its useful lid, you can also store the dry leaves in the fridge till you're ready to use them, and as it's also a jug, you could use it for mixing the dressing or whatever you need. A well thought ought and useful addition to any cooks kitchen.

CAT KITTEN RADIATOR BED HAMMOCK WASHABLE
CAT KITTEN RADIATOR BED HAMMOCK WASHABLE
Offered by worldofbargain888

5.0 out of 5 stars It works well and my cat loves it!, 12 April 2015
My cat has been sleeping on the radiator behind the curtain for two or three years and she's getting on for 12 so I decided a more comfortable bed but still a warm was would be good. I wasn't sure when I took the cradle out and fitted it as it looked very simple but it hangs easily on the radiator and by the evening she was happily and cozily asleep. She uses it a lot and the cover is very easy to remove when it needs washing. I hope it won't shrink but so far I think it's a good product and good value. My cat is very long and weighs about 3 kilos + so I don't know how a cat twice the weight would fare.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2015 4:11 PM BST

Leifheit Laundry Dryer Quartett Duo - extendable dryer for hanging on doors, radiators, railings, balconies

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for all the socks and smalls ., 12 April 2015
I needed an indoor dryer for small items that I could fit over a radiator and this does a good job. It is not very strong so socks and smalls and maybe tea towels but you wouldn't be able to dry a large bath sheet. And that's fine as I just wanted it for small items. It fits well on the radiator and is easy to assemble. It works well for me as I only wanted to dry thin, light articles but if you have a few thick articles there isn't much room between the drying bars. Good value for the money and ideal for all this cottone scks etc you don't want to shrink in the tumble dryer . I have used it for a fine merino sweater with no problem but it's built for light weight stuff.

Memory Foam Bed Wedge, Lower Incline, Wider Surface Area, Multi Functional Offers Relief From Erosive Gerd , Acid Reflux,  Heartburn And Respiratory Conditions, Excellent For Gerd In Pregnancy 76x66x20cm
Memory Foam Bed Wedge, Lower Incline, Wider Surface Area, Multi Functional Offers Relief From Erosive Gerd , Acid Reflux, Heartburn And Respiratory Conditions, Excellent For Gerd In Pregnancy 76x66x20cm
Offered by Creating Comforts ....The Memory Foam Specialist!

1.0 out of 5 stars An expensive instrument of torture!, 12 April 2015
Buyer beware! Before reading all the glowing reports, you should know that this item is not covered by Amazon's return policy so if you need to return it, - a) it will cost you at least £12 and b) it's sold by the company via Amazon and they consider it to be bedding and will only give you a refund if it's not been used( so how do you try it out?) so if it's not right for you, you could be £72 out of pocket if you return it! Having said that, the company did refund my money as I had wrapped it in a sheet before trying it. I think items like this could have SEE SELLERS PAGE clearly written next to BUY NOW button so that you're pre warned. I read all the feedback and most people seemed very happy with it except one or two who said it was impossible to sleep on. So I ignored them and went with the majority and ordered this to help my acid reflux. I sleep on my back, just like the woman in the photo, and I have a firm mattress so I thought it would be fine. The egg box structure to keep the wedge firm is SO solid, it feels as if it's made of thin strips of metal cutting into your back all night so I got no sleep. The second night I tried it again, but this time with a very good 3" thick mattress topper I keep for guests( brilliant from Green Fibres) thinking this would solve the problem. But the slats just kept digging in to me even through this, and I may as well put the topper on a cement floor for the good it did. So again another sleepless night. The third night, I tried slipping the wedge under my very thick mattress but next morning I still felt as if a herd of Buffaloes had stampeded across my back. I rarely have problems sleeping so was very disappointed with this useless product( useles for me that is). Another drawback is that it's very long and you need to position the thin edge of the wedge under your waist. This meant I was so far down the bed, I could not reach the light switch by the bed head to turn the light off. I'm 5.5" so not tall and I guess it might work if you're 6.4" perhaps. The idea is good and it obviously works for some people, but even after a warm relaxing bath, my back ached for several days after sleeping ( or rather not sleeping!) on the 'rack' ! I now use a seat cushion from an old bamboo armchair and it works a treat and cost nothing. I was not impressed having to pay the £12 return, which is the cheapest I could find that would 'track the parcel ' as they suggested, as I felt the item was not fit for use.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2015 10:02 PM BST

Black Patent Shoes: Dancing with MS
Black Patent Shoes: Dancing with MS
by Eva Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring story of determination and recovery in the face of medical prejudice!, 8 Mar. 2014
This is the harrowing story of a young woman diagnosed at 22 with MS and abandoned with her two little girls by her husband. She describes the crippling agony and terror of the episodes of paralysis and her fight with the doctors and nurses who more or less tell her to go home and die quietly and stop being a nuisance. She refuses to be defined by her illness nor to succumb to hopelessness. She reads everything she can find to help her resolve and uses her newly acquired knowledge to battle the medical system. Eventually she meets the lovely Dr Levy who believes in her and supports her in her refusal to just curl up and shrivel away. She uses physiotherapy and yoga, visualisation, rest and sleep to help restore her muscles and myelin nerve pathways after each heart breaking episode. Good friends and some of the more enlightened doctors etc support her and her 2 growing girls, and she learns to accept the traumas and protect her beloved girls from the possible threat to her life if the MS beats her. Through pure grit and determination she gets to study at the university and has access to the medical library where she can find eminent neurologists' theories that back up her own experience. This is a very readable and remarkable book and must give hope for anyone with any illness or problem affecting the neurological pathways. It is also an inspiration for the rest of us to see how, against impossible odds, one woman proved that she could be in control of her life, be happy and well and fulfill her dreams and beat the dreaded MS.
PS Eva Marsh has a website which shows you how to contact her and where she's giving talks. No doubt if you're seeking guidance or help, this would be the first place to look. I understand she's still defying the medics's predictions by enjoying continued good health!

Peel - Whole Mixed 1kg
Peel - Whole Mixed 1kg

4.0 out of 5 stars A good pantry standby for anyone who bakes, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Peel - Whole Mixed 1kg (Misc.)
This is a good selection of citrus fruits from grapefruit to limes and oranges. It's lovely and soft so easy to slice thinly or chop. The colours are quite good and look nice mixed in puddings and cakes. The taste is pleasant and I would be unfair to compare it to my home made organic peel which does taste very good, but does take quite a bit of time and effort to make . So this is an excellent standby at a very reasonable price and if you need a bit more zing in the taste you can always add some fresh lime or orange juice in the mix. It's taste and texture is much better than the supermarket pots of ready mixed peel and because each piece is whole, it's very adaptable for cutting into shapes for decoration etc. I used it along with some glacé pineapple in an ice cream Xmas pudding and it was good, especially after I'd soaked it in orange juice and rum for a week. Recommended for busy cooks who don't have time to make their own. A well priced product too.

The Fifth Sacred Thing
The Fifth Sacred Thing
by Starhawk

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive gripping story about our own survival, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fifth Sacred Thing (Paperback)
This is the second book by Starhawk that I've read and I couldn't put it down. Her style is both easy to read, it just flows, but it is also un- put-down- able! She tells the story of civilisation as it survives after near world melt down. There are the goodies and the baddies but nothing is stereo typed. Within the good camp,there are petty and not so petty jealousies and rivalry, bad decisions and characters with all their flaws that we can relate to on both emotional and psychological levels . And the baddies have the same mix, some bent on world dominance and totalitarian rule with all the perversions and cruelty, not to mention terrifying genetic modification to dehumanise their victims; but here are also those who doubt this system and ask 'what if ?' And maybe there is another way. There is hope and despair, love and heartbreak and joyful sex, abuse and torture, and an amazing portrayal of future possibilities for healing ourselves and our world. A brilliant read, ignore the awful cover, that I will go back to again and again. An inspiration on every level . If you are concerned about the future of our planet, our civilisation, GM science, and any other serious topic of the last 60 years you will not be disappointed by this novel. Her sensitive yet realistic grasp of how relations within families, couples and communities work and evolve or fail is brilliant. Her handling of sexual mores and sex even in very old age is interesting and gently done. A book that can be read on many levels. Just as science fiction or as a possible blue print to learn from and take on board. Her characterisation is very good and complex and at every stage it will help you see life with its joys and horrors from new perspectives. I would thoroughly recommend it to be read again and again,

Glace Pineapple 5 Pieces
Glace Pineapple 5 Pieces

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for puddings, cakes or just soaked in rum!, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Glace Pineapple 5 Pieces (Misc.)
I ordered this as part of a glacé Xmas pudding I was doing and it arrived promptly and was packed well but easy to open. It tastes delicious and looked very good mixed in with the cherries etc. I soaked it for 10 days in rum and spices along with citron peel, cherries etc as a sauce for the pudding and it kept its shape when cut into pieces and looked lovely and tasted exceptionally good. There was no sauce left although I'd make double the quantity as I was hoping to keep it for New Year, but no chance! A Very good product for desserts and cakes. The slices are about 1/2 inch thick and the slices firm enough to be cut into small chunks or just in half etc. so very adaptable for small and large cakes and puddings. Quite a decent use by date too so economical if not all needed at once.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5