Profile for bettyb > Reviews

And Can It Be
And Can It Be
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic revamp of an old classic, 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: And Can It Be (MP3 Download)
This has to be one of my all time favourite songs, so when I heard that Phatfish had re-written it, I was very sceptical. However after listening to it, I love it! It's really inspired. It doesn't have the energy of the original but is a lot more reflective. I think this version helps emphasise the amazing words. I highly recommend it.

Cute and Easy Crochet
Cute and Easy Crochet
by Nicki Trench
Price: 10.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but a little confusing at times, 21 Nov 2011
This review is from: Cute and Easy Crochet (Paperback)
This was the first Crochet book I bought. As a knitter, I finally decided to branch out into crochet. This book was recommended. I love the patterns. It's very up to date and not at all old fashioned. I love the choice of colours used in the projects as well as the projects themselves. I also found the lay out very easy to read. I did at times have to try a couple of different ways of doing something to work out what it meant (as I am a complete beginner) but after I understood how to read the pattern, it was easy and very enjoyable. One word of warning, I have made a couple of projects and most of them have been fine, however, I found the pattern for the scarf did not work at all. I pulled it apart 3 times then finally asked a lady who is in her 70's and has been crocheting for longer than I've been alive, to find out what I was doing wrong. She couldn't work out where I had gone wrong in the pattern. Finally I decided to follow the picture (and make up my own pattern) rather than the pattern in the book and it turned out really well. That is the only pattern I have had a problem with so far.

Saying that I do love the book and am buying it for my Mum for Christmas (but I will write my pattern into the book for her! lol).

Button Moon - A Hole In Blanket Sky [DVD]
Button Moon - A Hole In Blanket Sky [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Button Moon but only has 3 episodes, 24 May 2011
I remember Button Moon from when I was little and it is a delight that my son now it enjoys it as much as I did. This contains another 3 classic episodes but Beware, although it's run time is 66 min, it only has 3 episodes which it then repeats without going back to the main menu. It's still well worth it though :)

Button Moon - Boat Race On Button Moon [DVD]
Button Moon - Boat Race On Button Moon [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Button Moon but only has 3 episodes, 24 May 2011

Button Moon - Talent Show [DVD]
Button Moon - Talent Show [DVD]
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but repeats episodes, 24 May 2011
I was a little disappointed with this DVD. Despite it saying that it's run time is 66 min, it has 3 episodes which it then repeats without going back to the main menu. The First episode is a little annoying (that is a personal opinion) but one of the other episodes is the Fox and the Hen, which is also on the 'Adventures on Button moon' DVD. My son still loves it though :)

Making Stuff: An Alternative Craft Book (Interior Design)
Making Stuff: An Alternative Craft Book (Interior Design)
by Ziggy Hanaor
Price: 11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 7 Jan 2011
Whatever your style, there is something in here for you. It has a bit of simple knitting; sewing; soap making; paper craft; re-use recycle etc. I absolutely love it. There are a lot of projects that I won't ever do however it's worth getting for the ones you will do time and time again. Every project is given by a different person so there are lots of different styles in this book, which I love. My favourite projects the knitted poppy hair clip (which also works really well as a brooch); the barbie shoe earrings; and the cake stand made out of old plates (I'm one of those vintage, re-use recycle crafters!). I'd say it is a little quirky in places but over all it covers a broad number of crafts in a modern and up to date way and is a little taster of what can be achieved. If you are looking for Pretty Cath Kidston styles this probably isn't the kind of book you want ('Sew' by Cath Kidston is a classic) but I would say that if you like home-made brought into the 21st century and you want to try simple crafts then you may enjoy this book!

Simple Sewn Gifts: Stitch 25 Fast and Easy Gifts
Simple Sewn Gifts: Stitch 25 Fast and Easy Gifts
by Helen Philipps
Price: 10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Cross stitch book, 7 Jan 2011
It is not obvious that this is a cross stitch book and I bought it assuming that it would be a book of little gift projects to make mostly with fabric, so from that I would give it one star. If you have a little experience with sewing (hand or machine) then there is nothing new in this book that you couldn't do yourself or work out how to do just by looking at a picture. However what is lovely about this book, and the reason I've given it 3 stars, is the cross stitch motifs. They are all very small (the kind you can do very quickly) and it's great to see cross stitched moved into practical and beautiful gifts. If you are a complete beginner don't be scared off by the projects you make to put these on. As the main emphasis is on the motifs, use the projects as inspiration and sew the cross stitch motifs either onto things you already have, or on items that you can sew. The final thing I would say is that about half these projects are small enough to hand sew however the rest are probably a lot easier done on a sewing machine. This however doesn't effect the cross stitch motifs of course.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2011 7:37 PM GMT

Maison Ikkoku Volume 15: v. 15 (Manga)
Maison Ikkoku Volume 15: v. 15 (Manga)
by Rumiko Takahashi

4.0 out of 5 stars last one in a great series., 7 Jan 2011
This is the last book in the manga series by Rumiko Takahashi 'Maison Ikkoku' and nicely brings it to a close, finishing the story and tying up loose ends. I loved Ranma 1/2 (by the same author) but found this series a little harder to get into. However once I got sucked into the story I absolutely loved it. I like how the series concludes after 15 books and doesn't run endlessly. If you are thinking of buying this book you really need to have read the others first as they all follow on from each other. If you haven't started reading them, they are a lovely story about a group of people living together in some flats. It's a little slow paced but I prefer to think of it as relaxed (not action on every page like some manga) and because of this it's more an adult book rather than a children's one (children will find this boring and probably won't get the story). The last thing I'll say is that I love Rumiko Takahashi's drawing style. It's great to look at and she gets across a lot of humour in them which isn't lost in translation. Overall 4 stars!