Profile for ND1234 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
AmazonBasics 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub with UK Plug
AmazonBasics 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub with UK Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and reliably, 21 July 2014
Super little hub that just works. I've had a couple of USB hubs over the years but this one has so far been the simplest and most reliable. Five stars

Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Xbox 360 Headset - EU
Turtle Beach Ear Force X12 Xbox 360 Headset - EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb on and offline, 22 May 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Quick few comments since other reviewers have no doubt said this all before:

Bought these a few months ago. I didn't have high expectations but they're really, really good.

Multiplayer - totally transformed my online experience. Chat works so much better with proper "cans" and the mike is great.

I wasn't anticipating using them much offline since I've got a surround sound setup, however the immersion is really good. Even better I can crank up the volume when my SO has gone to bed!

Having separate controls for game & chat (and bass) is good but I have found I've turned down chat by mistake a couple of times so I'll probably put some tape over the volume wheels.

Easy to setup and if you're using HDMI like me, just get the original A/V cable out of the box in the loft and 'click' off the cover so you can use both cables together. Youtube's your friend here.

Yes there is now a cable trailing across the room but I'll put up with that. Very happy with these.

Airflow QT100T 9041260 Quiet Timer Version 2-Speed 100mm Extractor Fan
Airflow QT100T 9041260 Quiet Timer Version 2-Speed 100mm Extractor Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Blissfully quiet - when not running..., 17 Mar 2013
Saw the Airflow stand at a show two years running, and bit the bullet the second time. We had three cheap Manrose Gold fans, and I disliked the noise they made. The chap on the Airflow stand was very forthcoming about how good the fans were, how much air they displaced, and above all how quiet they were.

So I ordered three. First problem was when they arrived, two of the covers were broken. Tiny plastic tongues had snapped in transit. Quietair were kind enough to replace the covers promptly.

Bit of a gap between buying and installing due to bathroom refurb, but I just put the first one in. It does seem to be a good quality device and the wiring cover is well thought out. As others have found it's very compact and so bear that in mind when fitting. DIP switches allow configuration changes, and I'll certainly adjust mine to use the delay function since sadly I find the noise quite intrusive - very nearly as noisy as the old Manrose fan - and nowhere near such good value.

I hope they will outlast the Manrose fans though which have burned out or had shot motor bearings in just a few years. I'll be installing the remaining two (got them so I may as well use them) in the coming weeks so if the first was a duff I'll adjust this review - and I'm hoping so based on other reviewers' experiences.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 4:52 PM GMT

Schnitzerbrau Lemon Gluten-Free Beer
Schnitzerbrau Lemon Gluten-Free Beer
Offered by PureNature

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great gluten-free beer, 24 Oct 2012
Just a quick note to thank the brewer, so few bother to make gluten-free beer.

This is a similar review to the one I left for the non-lemon one but more positive.

Many other "gluten-free" beers are actually normal ones fudged with some process to attempt to remove most gluten in order to comply with a codex so they can make the claim. It doesn't work and there's always some left. I know, I suffer the consequences.

This beer pours well, has a nice aroma and a good head. Pretty much what you'd expect from a normal beer. Amazing! I much prefer this to the non-lemon beer and it's got a lovely summer-y sort of taste. Light but with enough flavour to be satisfying.

Schnitzerbrau Gluten-Free Beer (6-Pack)
Schnitzerbrau Gluten-Free Beer (6-Pack)
Offered by PureNature

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer the lemon one, 24 Oct 2012
Just a quick note to thank the brewer, so few bother to make gluten-free beer.

This one so nearly does it for me. Made from properly gluten-free ingredients. Only a couple of other breweries bother. For example St Peter's does an awesome sorghum based ale.

This beer pours well, has a nice aroma and a good head. Pretty much what you'd expect from a normal beer. Amazing! However I find there's a slightly soapy sort of aftertaste. Easily cured with a dash of lemonade, I suspect the brewers realised this and already produce one with some lemon added. So I buy that one.

Dualit 84200 Espressivo Coffee Maker, Chrome
Dualit 84200 Espressivo Coffee Maker, Chrome

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee machine with one or two issues - there is a revised model now, 24 Aug 2012
Shop-bought coffee is great but the cost soon adds up so I've been thinking about a coffee machine for ages. I didn't want one that took expensive pods - might as well keep buying Costa or Starbucks if so. Then I stayed in a Paris apartment where there was a countertop machine much like this and I was smitten. Great coffee, low costs, and fairly easy to use.

Like lots of people I read reviews and deliberated. Eventually I bought this model in CostCo because of their awesome returns policy - just take it back for a refund, no questions, no time limit, no problem; so I could take it back if I didn't get on with it.

Unpacking revealed quite a heavy and sturdy little beast, and the setup was quite simple. There are inserts for ESE sachets, a single scoop of ground coffee, and a double scoop one. I have only used the double scoop and this gives enough coffee to make two medium sized café au lait.

Filling the water chamber is one issue I have - it is a plastic reservoir on the back of the machine, but the opening is quite shallow, unlike the other machine I used, so I find it's all too easy to splash water around.

Steaming the milk is quite quick and easy, cleaning the steam wand is a bit more fiddly though since there's a metal collar where milk seems to stick.

However these machines are all about the coffee. Couple of scoops into the filter holder, tamp it down, insert and turn the handle, and turn on the pump. Yes it chugs a bit - they all do - but . Crema. Great crema. Superb coffee, the sort you apparently only get with a good high pressure pump machine.

It's a little fiddly, as they all seem to be. Making coffee takes a few minutes, heating the filter holder is really important, and cleanup is much easier done on the spot rather than waiting.

Ok, a couple of gripes in usage, but CostCo aren't getting this back.

[additional]

Just noticed, CostCo have stock of a revised version. Looks much the same except with a slightly curved section on top reminiscent of the Dualit toasters. This means there is less space for warming cups, however I wonder if it might be better insulated and thus reduce running costs.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sugru!, 21 Aug 2012
This stuff is ever so useful.

I've repaired the rose on my trusty watering can, fixed power leads, cured a door/wall issue, neatly covered screw-holes from an old mobile phone mount in the car, etc.

Couple of recommendations: use it within the date, and have fun hacking things!

Open little pouch, then roll the Sugru into a ball, form it into whatever shape, if need be smooth the surface with lightly wetted fingertips or tools, then leave it to set for 24 hours. Awesome! It sticks to dry surfaces when wet and is wonderfully tactile when dry. For inspiration just look for Sugru images on a search engine.

There are a few who complain about the price. Read the story on the Sugru web site. It's a blood, sweat and tears story about how a small UK based manufacturer is becoming successful. Every manufactured product has inherent value and cost added, through invention, inception, testing, marketing, promoting, packaging, premises and staff overhead, bank loans, etc. Imagine how much the ingredients of, say, a brand name cola drink cost - a penny or two maybe? And sports shoe companies are ever so keen to hide the base cost (below 95 cents for 100 dollar plus shoes). Sorry, bit of a soap box moment there, but this stuff is so much more useful than a fizzy drink or some overpriced footwear.

You can make a very poor substitute but it's quite literally not a patch on Sugru. If you do, read the warning labels on the ingredients, especially regarding food; be aware of the limitations; and compare results afterwards. I've tried and I prefer Sugru.

No, I'm not involved with the company or the people or whatever, I'm just a happy customer!

DYMO LabelWriter - Address labels - black on white - 36 x 89 mm - 2 x 260 labels

4.0 out of 5 stars Too expensive but work well, 20 Aug 2012
We use several Dymo LabelWriter printers in the offices. Invaluable little things. However, rather like other printers, the true cost is shown when you refill them.

Dymo charge a premium for the own brand labels and the printers are set to scan and work only with them. There are lots of apparently compatible options but none work as well - we have tried most of them in an effort to keep costs down. We've come back to the genuine ones after realising that the "compatible" labels get stuck in the printers, don't stay stuck for long on some surfaces, and worst of all the print fades. None of these problems with the genuine article.

Sadly buying the real thing costs a great deal more but it seems worth it for longer term use like archiving, and peace of mind that the labels print cleanly and really do stick.

Red and Tan Leather Wallet Smart Flip Case Cover for The New iPad 4 (with Retina Display) + iPad 3 + iPad 2 with Full Sleep Wake compatibility
Offered by Purplemoose007

5.0 out of 5 stars My wife really loves this iPad case, 7 Aug 2012
A quick "thank you" to the other reviewers - thought I'd add my support for the product too.

I was cautious about buying this iPad case without seeing it. Photos rarely do such things justice, and you never know if the controls will be easy to get to or the camera lens slightly obscured, etc.

Quite understandably my wife wanted a cover for her new iPad. The Apple magic cover doesn't protect corners, edges or the back, so that was out. I suggested she try Currys or another high street store but she didn't find anything she liked there - all the covers were apparently ugly, boring, or cumbersome. So on-line it was.

This case came out on top for colours to go with her white iPad, has the wake up feature, and converts to a useful stand. Perfect. The vendor sent it really quickly and it arrived in good condition. A slight bend in the back straightened out no problem.

It's apparently "PU leather". That means it is leather-like polyurethane. Don't be put off though, it feels soft and reasonably durable.

The red colour is bright! Imagine a hint of coral mixed with red. In fact the photos are pretty accurate. Don't think you'll get a deep red and dark tan colour, this is fun and funky. Not for me but great for a white iPad - not that you see much of the bezel but it kind of goes well together.

All the controls are easy to get to and the camera is fine. The wake up magnetic thing works and the simple stand means it is much more comfortable to use the iPad.

All in this is a result. Good value, fun colours, looks reasonably protective, works well. Ticks all the boxes.

Ryman XC-808M Cross Cut Electric Paper Shredder
Ryman XC-808M Cross Cut Electric Paper Shredder
Offered by Ryman Stationery and Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and effective, 26 July 2012
I bought this to replace a Fellowes shredder that failed after a couple of years. I'm reasonably mechanically sympathetic however repeatedly clearing jams from the Fellowes after only ever feeding one sheet at a time was frustrating, so in a way I'm pleased I could replace it.

This Ryman shredder turned up having had less-than-gentle handling from the courier, unfortunately the bin was dented and this meant the sensor to stop operation with the top open didn't line up so it wouldn't run. Two minutes of gentle tinkering and it was fine though, just a little metal flange needed to be pushed back into shape.

The paper bin is metal mesh and I wondered if paper dust would billow out in use, but all seems fine and you can see what's going on a little more easily than with the solid plastic ones.

It's not very speedy but then it's only meant to be a home machine.

The cross-cut action creates much smaller pieces and hence gives higher security than the aforementioned Fellowes.

I checked and the CD shredding bit works too, should I ever need it. The bits are caught in a separate hopper.

Shame about the delivery but that's no reason to mark it down. I'm some months along with this and am very pleased. High security shredding and faultless performance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8