Profile for northumbrian > Reviews

Amazing Health Flipstick walking seat stick - shooting stick black
Amazing Health Flipstick walking seat stick - shooting stick black
Offered by Amazing Health

1.0 out of 5 stars seat stick - problems, 29 Aug 2012
I suffer from spinal arthritis and ordered an 'Amazing Health' seat stick which seemed ( from the Amazon description)to be ideal for my problems with walking and standing. When it arrived with a full list of do's and don'ts from Amazing ealth I found it was not recommended for various arthritis conditions and therefore unsuitable for me. Something that 'Amazing Health' tell me is fully set out in their own website but which Amazon didn't mention. The consequence seems to be that I must send the product back to 'Amazing Health'at my own expense (£15.00) before I can get a refund.

Be warned!

Nick Blackstock

All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945
by Max Hastings

5.0 out of 5 stars a one volume gem for any student of history, 16 Jan 2012
Do not be put off by the title - it may sound a bit melodramatic but it accurately describes what happened in the second world war. Hastings has chosen both to give general overviews ( military and political)and also to describe the phases of the war - theatre by theatre, campaign by campaign, setback by setback, victory by victory. At the same time he humanises the chronology by a wealth of individual stories and reminicences ( in itself a massive work of research).

In the years since 1945 unceasing torrents of research, memoirs and histories have appeared which would seem to obviate the need for anything more. Anyone reading Hastings will soon realise this is not so. I consider myself as widely read on the subject as any layman, yet this one volume has banished many of my misconceptions and demolished many myths I had previously accepted uncrictically. Individual stories,photos and reminicences both made me smile and also moved me to tears.

Finally I must admit to a very personal interest. As a child of four in September 1939 I can clearly recall the announcement of war on the radio. Of course at the time the full implications were lost on me, but I can still clearly recall the sense of panic that emanated from my parents and other adults. During the next six years that panic was to be fully justified.

Buy this book.

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History
by S.C. Gwynne

3.0 out of 5 stars Quanah Parker: an American legend, 12 Aug 2011
This is the story of Quanah Parker, the most powerful chief of the Comanches, who actually was one quarter white. The growth and development of the Plains, tribes has been covered in much more detail by T R Fehrenbach ( 'Comanches: The history of a people'), but where this history scores is in covering the later life of Parker. Extraordinarily, from being a feared ( indeed hated) enemy he became a celebrity in his own lifetime, celebrated as an American warrior by the very Texans he had terrorised for so long. I can recomend it as a fascinating read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2012 10:58 AM BST