Profile for Blue light > Reviews

Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime
Wasting Police Time: The Crazy World of the War on Crime
by David Copperfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Inner London coppers view, 9 Feb. 2008
I've been working in central London for a few years having moved from an outer force, I've read 'wasting police time' a couple of times now, each time making me laugh like an idiot and sink into my chair feeling nearly as depressed of many people I deal with. Despite what that cretin Tony McNulty said - this book, and the blog for that matter, are as far from fiction as one could hope.

Or dread, depending on your point of view.

As response officers, the guys and girls on my team have to deal with anything and everything that comes over the radio or what happens in front of us, we have no remit and the results are exactly as DC has written. Domestics, drunks, suicides, cries for help, petty shoplifting and minor drug dealing are the bread and butter of what we deal with, no matter where in the country you work. And as for the issue of racism in the force... I personally have never seen it in any of my colleagues and yet we see it every day directly from members of the public - black, white, Chinese, Asian, Arab, eastern European. Everyone.

This book is about as close to the despair that every one of us feel every time we go to work and I urge you to read it, along with 'Diaries of an On-Call girl' which is also excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2014 10:37 AM BST