Profile for lpacheco > Reviews

Content by lpacheco

lpacheco (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)

Page: 1 | 2
Synology DS414 DiskStation 4 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology DS414 DiskStation 4 Bay Desktop NAS
Offered by Aurora-tech

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me in the rain twice in an year, 25 Mar. 2015
This product gets excellent reviews everywhere, and I love its features, while it is working. The problem is that in less than one year I've had two completely different devices failing me.

First time, about 6 months after I bought the unit, the device wouldn't hold a configuration for more than a few hours, making it effectively useless. Synology replaced the unit, but it took a lot of e-mail exchange before they would send me a form authorizing me to send the device, and even then I had to wait a few weeks before getting it delivered. I was luck not to depend on it for a backup.

Second time just happened. After a nightly update (I have automatic updated enabled), it seems, I found the device turned off this morning and it won't turn on. I have it plugged to a UPS, so it wasn't an unexpected power loss. I opened a new ticket for Synology and I'm waiting for theirs suggestions.

I wouldn't recommend a device I have had problems with twice in less than an year. I'm luck to still be under warranty, but even then I might have to pay for the shipment of the defective device. Again.

Huawei E392 Surfstick LTE 4G - sim-free
Huawei E392 Surfstick LTE 4G - sim-free

1.0 out of 5 stars Sold as "brand new & sealed" but came with hacked firmware, 12 Nov. 2014
Bought this product from Eternal Communications as new, but the item I received had firmware with a modem driver hacked by Kamlesh Kumer. This can't be new (I doubt Huawei would distribute hacked firmware), and I can't trust the setup didn't install some malware together with the software and driver.

I wouldn't recommend buying from Eternal Communications.

Urbanears Bagis Headphones - Dark Grey
Urbanears Bagis Headphones - Dark Grey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, but build quality is under judgement after my second pair failed quickly, 8 Aug. 2014
I bought my first pair of Bagis in 2012. They lasted me about 2 years with excellent sound. I loved that the buds can connect behind your neck, hanging like a necklace, and that the wires never tangle, no matter the mess you make with them.

When they failed, I bought a new pair of Bagis, but these failed in less than 3 months of use.

Urban Ears was pretty quick in replacing them, but the support is a bit convoluted, requiring that you completely destroy your defective pair and send them pictures, before they send you a new pair. I hope the new ones will last me longer.

PlayStation PS3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
PlayStation PS3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller (Black)
Offered by All-4-Less

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with OS X Mavericks, 8 Aug. 2014
I bought this controller for using with a Mac, actually. It works out of the box with the OS X Mavericks, no drivers needed. Just connect it with the Mac using a USB cable, pair it with Bluetooth and enjoy.

Logitech UE Mobile Boombox - Black
Logitech UE Mobile Boombox - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Aug. 2014
Excellent sound in a pretty small package. The mic can be a bit noisy though.

Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black
Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity Tracker and Sleep Wristband - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but limited, 8 Aug. 2014
The Flex tracks only the movement of your arm, and from that it infers the number of steps you walked/run each day. It doesn't measure altitude, and distance and calories are measured as an extrapolation from the number of steps, so it doesn't apply do cycling or anything on wheels.

The usefulness of the Flex is not for having precise measures of your sport activity, but having a record of how much exercise you make in your usual daily activities, and try to improve on that. Being so, it is a lot more useful to have it in your wrist all the time than having to remember to carry the a clip-on activity tracker.

Unfortunately my Flex stopped measuring anything at all after just about 6 months of usage. Their support was excellent and they sent me a new one, no questions asked, but in the meantime I started using the Fitbit app with the motion tracker in the iPhone 5S and it is a completely satisfying replacement, so I stopped using the Flex. The only information the app can't get from the iPhone is the sleep "quality" (actually, it tracks if you move while you sleep), but there are other apps for that (eg. Motion X).

Inside Apple
Inside Apple

3.0 out of 5 stars Inside Apple, yes, but very superficial, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Inside Apple (Kindle Edition)
If you don't follow able in the news, it is a nice summary, but don't expect anything new otherwise.

Merrell  EXCURSION LTR GLOVE Low Top Mens  Brown Braun (ESPRESSO) Size: 10.5 (45 EU)
Merrell EXCURSION LTR GLOVE Low Top Mens Brown Braun (ESPRESSO) Size: 10.5 (45 EU)

3.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, but not very durable, 8 Aug. 2014
Extremely comfortable and very light, but some seams are opening after about only 6 months of use.

RAVPower® Deluxe 14000mAh External Battery Charger Portable Power Bank Pack for iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 5S, 5C, 5 (Lightning Cable not included), 4S, 4, iPad Air, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini 2, Mini, iPods; Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, S2, Note 4 3 2; Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Nexus 4; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; LG Optimus [Prenium Battery Cells, Matte Finish, 2 mobile phone connectors] - White
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to have in your backpack if you travel a lot, 8 Aug. 2014
I've bought this battery based on a recommendation from The Wirecutter. Their preferred option wasn't available on Amazon UK and this one was their second option, losing to the first one in charging time, but winning on capacity. It took a whole day to charge completely, but I have no complaint about charging time of my devices with it. Sure, it has an output of 1.5 A, which will charge an iPad slower than the wall plug, but it still is faster than charging from most computers, and the iPad has a large battery itself.

I wouldn't by it to carry with you all the time, tough. It is a bit bulky and heavy. Volume and weight approach that of a 3.5" hard disk.

MagicWand for Apple Magic Trackpad or Wireless Keyboard
MagicWand for Apple Magic Trackpad or Wireless Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a piece of plastic, 25 Oct. 2011
This is just a piece of plastic, and a pretty cheap one when you look at it by itself, but it neatly attaches your wireless keyboard and trackpad in a pretty nice way. A must.

Page: 1 | 2