Profile for MR KEVIN B AIRES > Reviews

Content by MR KEVIN B AIRES

MR KEVIN B AIRES

NextoDI Nexto Extreme ND2700 ND-2700 SATA - 320GB SATA, Memory card back, OTG Direct backup, SATA Connection, image tank Camera or HDD Camcorder via your USB cable on the move. World Fastest Backup Speed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic device, 30 Jun. 2010
This thing just works. You take a large number of photos, stick it in the device(which we call Goldilocks!) and it auto backs it up and does a full verify that it has backed up OK. (you need to do a little bit of one off set up to ensure it works like that). Once it's done it even turns itself off. Once you turn it back on it tells if you if the previous setup was successful. This is great for the real world scenario where you are photographing a wedding, you finish a card, slot it in the device and then go off and shoot some more. When you come back you can just turn it back on to make sure it did backup. Assuming it did you KNOW that it has worked. The only time it hasn't backed up is if it's full.

Only downside for some folk is that it doesn't have a display screen, but as a pro photographer I don't care - I'll view it later on a large screen. I just want to know that it has definately backed up in the field. You can also upgrade the hard drive. I don't know what the largest disc it will take is, but I will shortly be trying to upgrade from 320GB to 500GB.

In terms of my workflow it means I can backup in the field so that when I get home I can upload all my images in one go straight away (and can also use eSata to upload really fast). It's also another place that I have the raw files backed up at least for a few weeks/months, until they get deleted to make more space.

Data Robotics Drobo S -5 eSATA/FW800 USB 2.0 Bay Storage Array
Data Robotics Drobo S -5 eSATA/FW800 USB 2.0 Bay Storage Array

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool!, 30 Jun. 2010
I agree with the previous reviewer! I also run a photography business and have had a frustrating experience with a cheapy NAS box backup system that crashed all the time. I decided I really needed a fast direct storage system rather than NAS and so I just got one of these babies with 3x1.5TB drives in and a Drobo FS which I will store offsite to do overnight backups too. It is pricey, but the peace of mind (as long as you also have offsite backup) is great. This thing has dual drive redundancy, which means it can withstand up to 2 drive failures. Remember if 1 drive fails on your RAID or Drobo system will be working like mad to rebuild your system which is the time when it's most likely for another drive to fail, so dual drive redundancy is a brilliant feature. Before Drobo you could do this - it's called RAID 6 I think. However, Drobo is a lot less hassle than a normal RAID 6 array. Only today I was reading about upcoming 4TB drives next year. Once they are available you can hot swap them into the Drobo S to give you 16TB of storage (or in my case with dual drive redundancy) 12TB. Try doing that on a RAID 6 NAS system! It would take days probably as you have to setup the drive size to be the size of the drives, all the drives have to be the same size and you'd need to backup all your data to somewhere else whilst you rebuild your RAID system to cope with the larger sized drives. Also, the rebuild is proportional to the size of the discs, so could take a long time. With the Drobo it takes a few mins... and you can still access the data whilst it's doing it!

I'm currently using it using USB as my PC doesn't have firewire 800 and I've been waiting for an eSata card to arrive. Even with USB the speed is perfectly acceptable for raw photo editing in Adobe Lightroom (I have the catalog and the preview files on a local drive and store the photos on the Drobo). With eSATA, I'm anticipating a x2 to x2.5 times improvement up to about 80MB/s which should make it even more of a pleasure to use. Note that you need an esata port with "port multiplier" functionality. Not all of them have this, so do check (I have an onboard esata port for example but this didn't seem to work. If your specs don't say that it has port multiplier, it probably doesn't.

A nice feature is that you can specify the size of the drive BEFORE you have that amount of disc installed up to 16TB. So in a 64bit operating system like Windows 7 64bit, you can set it up for 16TB and if you upgrade your discs in the future it will still all work fine.

I did have one problem but this seemed to be related to windows 7 installing some updates without asking me. Once I'd uninstalled them all seemed fine. From a comment that the support person mentioned, it's probably wise to install updates when the Drobo isn't online, although I haven't tested that yet.

Also note that the Drobo support folk are very nice and helpful, which is worth a lot if you ever do have problems. The last thing you need is to be high and dry with no one to call if you are trying to run a business.

One nice thing is that it's meant that for the first time ever we have fast access to every photo we've ever taken so we have something like 110,000 photos in our Lightroom catalog and we can flick through them very easily plus know they are pretty secure.

If you are running a business, and you have lots of data, just buy it!

Age of Empires II Gold Edition
Age of Empires II Gold Edition
Offered by Vahvoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but watch your elbows, 17 Jan. 2006
I love this game, but its given me RSI in my elbow from playing it too much! Doh!

Jamie Cullum - Live at Blenheim Palace [DVD] (2004)
Jamie Cullum - Live at Blenheim Palace [DVD] (2004)
Dvd ~ Jamie Cullum

5.0 out of 5 stars I was there and I bought the DVD...., 17 Nov. 2004
I went to the gig (great seats near the front) and this DVD definately does justice to what was a fabulous experience. The sound quality is excellent as is the video recording. An exercise in great live camerawork. They have re-cut the whole thing, so what they showed on the screens at the event is different to this - so there is not so much of the visuals that another reviewer mentions, although you get a brief glimpse.
They have enhance the colours and lighting a bit I think which accentuates the dramatic sunset and captures the guys on stage all the better.
It has the option to miss out the documentary bits, although I found them quite interesting.
BUY IT.... Buy it NOW! Great Christmas present!