Profile for Brandt > Reviews

Content by Brandt

Brandt (wheaton aston, staffordshire)

Drakelow - EP
Drakelow - EP

5.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned Nuclear Bunker Music..., 5 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Drakelow - EP (MP3 Download)
Alternative Rock? What an odd description for this wonderful collection of mysterious electronica. Apparently it was inspired by a trip to Drakelow tunnels in rural Staffordshire, an experience that left the group haunted by the miles of desolate corridors and decaying architecture. You can certainly hear it in the music; mottled synth and processed guitar washes, resonant, echoing pulses and submerged rhythms all evoking a dank, subterranean environment. A strange sense of melancholy hangs in the air too, a sense of loss; the lives of the people that worked down there during WW2...

As concept albums about abandoned military complexes go, you'll not find a better sonic document. I believe some have tried...

The Visitation
The Visitation

4.0 out of 5 stars A hidden British dream pop gem..., 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Visitation (Audio CD)
Superb collection of hazy, bedroom pop. Brings to mind great 'lost' bands like Cleaners From Venus and Martin Newall's later solo recordings. A dreamlike feel presides throughout with occasional forays into strange, almost ELO-like epic pop like on the song Summer Sound (a stand out). All in all, a lovely record - wish it was available on vinyl though!

We Don't Talk Anymore (2001 Digital Remaster)
We Don't Talk Anymore (2001 Digital Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars A milestone in the history of recorded music., 15 Mar. 2013
This song is truly one of the most accomplished and moving pieces of music ever to be written and produced and not only in the sphere of what we term 'popular music'. When the the earth lies scorched and irradiated after the inevitable nuclear wars that will ravage our planet in years to come, the men, women and children who survive will sit around and sing this song to strengthen their resolve and remind them of when the world was truly a better place...

Eingya
Eingya

5.0 out of 5 stars like voices on the tapes that we made....., 20 May 2008
This review is from: Eingya (Audio CD)
Its a sad, sad world in which we live, when an album as heartbreakingly beautiful as this has only one measly review on here. Oh well, maybe this isn't the place for it anyway.

A few words then.

Mogwai, Godspeed, Aeriel M, Tortoise amongst others all got me hooked in the late 90s. As well as this you had lovely electronica being created by Boards of Canada, ISAN, The Remote Viewer, Hood etc. An exiting time to be getting into music I reckon, though by no means was this mirrored in the commercial world (what a foul place that is anyway...).

Anyway, soon into the new millennium, I heard these sounds replicated and driven into the ground by lesser talents and less creative minds (I won't name names), in short I'd lost most of my faith in what could loosely be called Post Rock/electronica. Then I heard this album and I was floored totally by its exquisite lovliness.

Its the depth of detail in each piece, the rhythms that seemed to be derived from table tops, the bark from trees or the stomp of a foot in a dusty old hall coupled with the most heartbreaking reverberating electric guitar lines and acoustic picking. Add to this the dreamlike, faded and degraded ambient fogs that drift in and out of the album at points like long forgotten memories of lost summers and lost loves.

This is the best instrumental album of this Millennium in my opinion and will never appear in any top 100 albums or anything like that, because this is real folk music. For the few of us that still remain as untainted by this awful world as we can (its a hard fight) this album provides comfort and warmth.

x
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2011 1:09 AM BST

Yume Bitsu
Yume Bitsu

4.0 out of 5 stars the 'post rock' (urgh) batton was past on before Explosions in the Sky bought their first delay pedal....., 15 April 2008
This review is from: Yume Bitsu (Audio CD)
Hello, just a short one this.

Buy this album and pay closest attention to the last track 'The Frigid, Frigid body of Dr T J Ecleberg' or whatever its called...

I remember, as a fan of yr Moggers and GY!BE, and being in a band myself, listening to this (in conjunction with the first Tarentel album) and realising this was probably as far as this thing could go. You know the whole building slowly, eventually climaxing in a cathartic shower of blissed out guitars thing.

Turns out I was right, my band duly started to think of new directions and game plans (and probably scuppered a few opportunities along the way). Explosions in the Sky pop up with a less subtle approach and get all the praise, thats life eh....

Anyway, I've veered off slightly. A lovely album this and, along with Tarentels 'From Bone to Satellite' marks the end of the Mogwai school of 'Post Rock'. Later practitioners just never put the effort in (woah, slow down lads, don't rush into that loud bit...too late!).

Hmm, this review turned out to be longer than I expected, I wonder if anyone will read it.......?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 12, 2011 1:12 AM BST