Profile for J. M. C. Mascall > Reviews

Content by J. M. C. Mascall

J. M. C. Mascall "i-swinger" (England)

Ross Kemp: Middle East [DVD]
Ross Kemp: Middle East [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ross Kemp

3.0 out of 5 stars Ross has serious stones, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ross Kemp: Middle East [DVD] (DVD)
Intereting overview but doesn't go deep enough. The Afghanistan series are much more in depth, gritty, relevant and impressive. This is still worth a look and for the price I don't regret buying it.

Revision Express AS and A2 Economics ('A' LEVEL REVISE GUIDES)
Revision Express AS and A2 Economics ('A' LEVEL REVISE GUIDES)
by Dr. Charles Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars concise - very useful, 25 Jan. 2011
I bought this as an aid to revision for Economics A-level that I, essentially, self taught. This revision guide tidily somes up all exam boards' syllabuses. This is definately an aid though, I used sample papers from the AQA website to test and secure my knowledge. Don't know how well I've done yet though!

Ghost
Ghost

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought on the basis of one track, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Ghost (Audio CD)
I took a risk and bought this on the basis of one, amazing, track. I expected more from the rest
(which can blend to background music) but there are moments that are very touching.

Veni Veni Emmanuel
Veni Veni Emmanuel

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Veni Veni Emmanuel (MP3 Download)
I have only heard this track, and none of the rest of this album, but this version is lump-in-the-throat beautiful.

Meet John Doe [1941] [DVD]
Meet John Doe [1941] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gary Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet John Doe, 28 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Meet John Doe [1941] [DVD] (DVD)
Meet John Doe is another classic Frank Capra film with a Christmas edge and a life affirming, timeless message (the message here is of a simpler communal life hijacked by The System). As with other Capra films there are cringingly hard-to-watch scenes that are thoroughly naive but i'm sure it's these touches that make the final scenes so powerful.
Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck are flawless in their parts even if the script can get flabby. This is still an absolute delight 60 years on.

AQA Economics AS: Student's Book (Aqa As Level)
AQA Economics AS: Student's Book (Aqa As Level)
by S R. Stoddard

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but a goodie, 31 Oct. 2009
I'm using this book as a mature student and find the contents well presented and of real use as part of a formal learning structure. However, when I bought this book the annual sylabus had changed and it was already obsolete. I found this book still relevant and fit for use but it isn't 'current'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2010 4:48 PM BST

Snugpack Travel Pak Lite - Red - r-zip
Snugpack Travel Pak Lite - Red - r-zip

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Small, 27 Sept. 2009
I bought the Snugpak Travel Lite as a space saver, and its size is amazing - I would say about half the size of a regular sleeping bag. There are issues. 1) I have used this for camping in the middle of British summer and without any other insulation I was woken up several times feeling cold and had to rely on extra layers to keep warm at night. 2) It is priced at significantly more than a regular sleeping bag and considering its a Snugpak product the quality isn't as good as i expected.
I will take this when I travel to Oz in their summer and I expect this sleeping bag will come into its own there. I would not recommend it for use in this country unless you're in a warm building!

The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour (Penguin Psychology)
The Psychology of Interpersonal Behaviour (Penguin Psychology)
by Michael Argyle

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Reference Book, 27 Sept. 2009
The Psychology of Interpersonal Behavior is essentially a glossary. A list of explanations of human interpersonal behaviour. A good reference book.

Pilates For Men with Lindsey Jackson [DVD]
Pilates For Men with Lindsey Jackson [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lindsey Jackson

2.0 out of 5 stars How is this different from lady pilates?, 27 Sept. 2009
I bought Pilates for Men to help recovery from a sports injury while I was seeing a physio and unable to work out properly. The program on the DVD is a structured class including moves that stretch the whole body. As someone new to this I found Pilates isn't as easy as I had expected and I can appreciate it as an addition to a normal workout routine. However, I don't really see how this is Pilates FOR Men as much as just Pilates WITH Men. I don't see how the moves are gender specific or, as suggested, it is of particular benefit for specific sports injuries. This DVD is expensive for what it is.