Profile for C. Barr > Reviews

C. Barr (London)

Bench BC0028BR Watch with Dark Brown Leather Strap and Beige Dial
Bench BC0028BR Watch with Dark Brown Leather Strap and Beige Dial

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch!, 18 July 2013
I'm really happy with this watch by Bench, I'd previously bought cheaper watches (around £15) but had to replace them a couple of times as the straps kept breaking. I wanted a slightly chunky and sturdy leather strap that would last, and this watch seems to have delivered. I'm really pleased with how this watch is coping, it seems hard-wearing and it's easy to read with a good size face (I only noticed about a month after I'd been wearing it every day that the hands glow in the dar - very useful!). It's very comfortable, and I'd recommend it.

NOTHING OF IMPORTANCE. A Record of Eight Months at the Front with a Welsh Battalion October 1915 to June 1916
by Bernard Adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent primary source, 11 Jan 2013
I first came across this book on the recommendation of one of my lecturers, as a primary source to use for a First World War module I did in my final year at university. I wasn't looking at it from a military perspective, but as to how people viewed the war, both from the battlefield and at back home.

As a lover of literature, I was immediately struck in some sections by how truthfully Adams writes, and parts of the book brought tears to my eyes. Towards the end of the book (page 299 to 303) there's a section which I've read more than a few times. In this section he writes about the true meaning of war, how it's not glorious, it's evil - "We are conquering an evil spirit by a good spirit, even if we are using an evil instrument." He describes what war brings out in people. He thinks of what those left behind must be going through waiting for their fathers, brothers, husbands, to come home. He comes across as a very wise man, and he knows what war is. The fact that he died after being sent back to the war after being injured only makes this section all the more striking, and I bought this book for that section of pages alone. If you want an honest first hand description of life at war, read this book.

Rocket Dog Thunder Womens Laced Synthetick Leather Biker Boots Black - 5
Rocket Dog Thunder Womens Laced Synthetick Leather Biker Boots Black - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent boots!, 11 Jan 2013
I've been wearing these boots now for a few days, and so far they seem very sturdy, and I haven't had any discomfort. I was very pleased with them as they were exactly the type of boot I was looking for, as I wanted comfort, strength and style. These have been great to wear at work if you can dress casually, and I'd be happy wearing these when I'm out and about. I haven't walked very far in them yet but as yet have had no problems!

11.22.63
11.22.63
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved this book, 11 Nov 2012
This review is from: 11.22.63 (Paperback)
One thing that I have to say about 11.22.63 is that I absolutely did not want to put it down! I was absolutely engrossed and read it in about a week, and kept picking it up whenever I had a free moment. Of course, because it's Stephen King you always have the feeling that something bad is looming on the horizon, which is true, but it's one element that keeps you reading. I genuinely wanted to know whether Jake/George would succeed in his mission to change the world when facing a past that tries it's hardest not to be changed, but also if he'll live happily ever after when he falls in love.
Before reading this I'd only read one other Stephen King book before and that was Carrie which I thought was brilliantly written, but after reading this I'm keen to read more of his works. I would highly, highly recommend this book, it was a perfect mix for me of historical fiction, going back to Fifties America (one has to remember that it IS fiction!), science fiction with the main character going back in time "through the rabbit hole", and romance with the character Sadie.
If you're looking for a page turner, read this book! Lastly, I respectfully disagree with some people who thought the ending anti-climatic, I thought it was beautifully written, and I was crying on the last page. If I wasn't a fan of Stephen King before, I definitely am now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2013 8:03 PM BST

iPOD SOCKS - 6 DIFFERENT COLOURS
iPOD SOCKS - 6 DIFFERENT COLOURS
Offered by iDELTA UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, would definately shop from again, 17 Jan 2010
This review is from: iPOD SOCKS - 6 DIFFERENT COLOURS
All I have to say is thank you for the swift delivery, and also major thank you for the money saving! I saw exactly the same socks in a popular chain music store for over 20 pounds, only with the iPod logo on the box. Completely laughable, so really thank you. The socks themselves, I didn't need all 6 for myself, but it's nice to have variety, and I can double it with having a spare sock for my little phone, so extra handy in that respect.