Profile for Daniel Skelton > Reviews

Content by Daniel Skelton

Daniel Skelton "The Dragon" (Ripon, North Yorkshire)

Winterbirth: Book One of the Godless World Series
Winterbirth: Book One of the Godless World Series
by Brian Ruckley

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 22 May 2011
I'd like to say that I read some of the negative reviews on hrer and I chose to ignore them and buy the book anyway. I think that was a big mistake on my part. I really should have listened. I hoped this was going to be a good read, from all the positive reviews it had, but it really was a let down. the characters have some of the most daft and longest names I've ever had the misfortune of reading. many people say that the place names are fogetable and I'd agree with them. I'm not sure why the author bothered calling his races these daft names, it's obvious that the wood-wights are meant to be elves, even though they seem to be based on native americans. the style of writing the author writes with is just to drawn out and to be honest boring, the book just doesn't seem to grab you and when it does seem to get going, the author takes you somewhere else and dribbles on about some other people that really didn't need to be in the story and don't seem to have any use within the plot, other than to slow it down.
if the author trys to wright another series i really hope that he learns alot from his mistakes.

Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
by Stewart Binns

5.0 out of 5 stars Conquest, 10 May 2011
I have read some of the reviews on here about this book and have to say that the people who gave it a 1 star rating must have been reading a diffirent story to the one I read. I bought the book because I liked what the backcover said and I find this period of history very intreting. I found the very injoyable and I enjoyed the authors style of writing. I contacted the author to tell him how I like his story and to tell him that I hope he writes more, and he was kind enough to say "thankyou for your support and enjoying the book." I have to say that I'm glad that Ripon got a very very quick naming in the book which pleased me. Thanks again for the great read Stewart Binns.