Profile for The lodger > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Battle of Britain: A day-to-day chronicle, 10 July-31 October 1940
Battle of Britain: A day-to-day chronicle, 10 July-31 October 1940

3.0 out of 5 stars Ww2 books, 5 Feb 2014
Started off very well with plenty of detail and lots of atmosphere. However, after a while the detail became oppressive and rather monotonous so much that I gave up on it altogether.

Sorry but I cannot recommend very strongly

Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy)
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy)

1.0 out of 5 stars How boring!, 9 Dec 2013
I normally like Ken Follett but this one of his you can keep. Probably the most boring book I have ever picked up - might just as well have been written in Mandarin. Plot lines start and then disappear without trace. Not surprised that the price is heavily reduced.

A huge tome but nothing to keep a reader interested.

Earning a Crust - Logic doesn't come into it
Earning a Crust - Logic doesn't come into it

5.0 out of 5 stars Well one, 23 Sep 2013
I had just finished Derek's first book reluctant recruit and thoroughly enjoyed it so tried this one also. He is some 9 years older than me but the era is the same. Oh the reminders that this story generates. Strangely, his life has many similarities with my own including some of the twists and turns. Should be compulsory reading for the current generation so to understand what my generation, and Derek's, including WW2 was all about.

Am now about to start his other book. Keep it up Derek.

Pilot Error
Pilot Error

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story of WW2, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pilot Error (Kindle Edition)
I confess I spent a couple of years National Service in Bomber Command and I have a soft spot for this book. Brilliant story line and exciting all the while

Green Beach
Green Beach

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! what a story., 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Green Beach (Kindle Edition)
A really great story about Dunkirk and the early days of radar. Not sure how accurate it is - I wasn't there but fascinating nevertheless.

Dawn Readiness
Dawn Readiness

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dawn Readiness (Kindle Edition)
Another of the better books about WW2 - a novel with a love interest as well and a great read. The battle story really brings out the reality of the Battle of Britain.

Ambushed! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 2)
Ambushed! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but just, 30 Jun 2013
See also my comments about the first part. Probably me but just didn't grip me somehow. You cannot win thm all.

Thunder from the Sea
Thunder from the Sea

5.0 out of 5 stars Good author this, 30 Jun 2013
See also my comments on Sheader's War by the same author. Although I prefer that one, this story is nevertheless a good one and well worth the read

Attacked! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 1)
Attacked! (Last Plane out of Paris, Part 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't really get into this book, 30 Jun 2013
I enjoy WW2 stories but just could get interested in this one. It didnt seem to hold the interest that many of the genre usually do. Sorry.

Boy Entrant; The Recollections of a Royal Air Force Brat
Boy Entrant; The Recollections of a Royal Air Force Brat

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back the memories!, 30 Jun 2013
Although this is primarily about a Boy Entrant and I was National Service the similarities are considerable. Oh how it brings back the memories especially of Square Bashing times and how it seemed.
Great Book