Profile for sassbook > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
One Foot in the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel
One Foot in the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, well-written escapism., 6 Jun 2012
Book 2 in Jeaniene Frost's excellent series about Cat Crawfield. If you haven't read the first (Halfway to the Grave) then you really should read that first.

Cat is a vampire slayer and this book continues 4 years after the first book finished, Cat left Bones, thinking that she was saving his life by doing so, and joined an elite paranormal division of the FBI where she heads up a squad of demon slayers. She's never forgotten Bones and although she's forging a great career and great friendships with her team she's lonely and misses Bones.

On a job to 'despatch' a vampire, she meets Ian and realises that he's Bone's friend. As she feels she owes Bones a favour, she lets Ian live..... I'm not going to give away the rest of the story but it's a good one!

There is alot of humour in Jeaniene's books, you can really feel the camaradary between the team and, if you're like me, you'll find you've got a silly grin on your face during some of it too. One sign that I love a series is that I spent the first few chapters anxiously waiting for Bones to reappear in Cat's life!

Generally I consider this to be an urban fantasy with some sex (some pretty hot sex!) rather than a paranormal romance. It's just so much more than a romance. The writing is good and fluid, the characters are people you want to get to know, the plot is well thought out and it's funny!

Thoroughly recommended.

FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON
ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE
ONE GRAVE AT A TIME

Halfway to the Grave (A Night Huntress Novel)
Halfway to the Grave (A Night Huntress Novel)
Price: 5.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, 6 Jun 2012
I'm not sure why it took me so long to get round to reading this series, it was always in my recommendations but I finally took the plunge and I read the first 6 books in a week.. (including the two spin-offs)!

So the lovely Catherine Crawfield found out when she was 16 that she was part vampire; she'd always thought she was a bit different until her Mum told her that she'd been raped by a vampire when she was young and the result was Catherine. Catherine's (Cat's) mother instills her deep hatred of all things fangy in Cat's mind and Cat becomes a vampire hunter in the hope that she can get rid of all vamps, and find her father and get revenge on behalf of her Mother. She's pretty good at it too until she lures the wrong vampire, Bones, into her car one night so that she can despatch him. Bones is a vampire bounty hunter and decides that Cat has the raw talent to be trained up to be one too, so he starts her training.

I was really pleasantly surprised by the story and the writing. I liked Cat, but it took a while for her character to flesh out as she's a bit of a contradiction at first. Now Bones I fell in love with quite easily, he reeks of 'bad boy', but there's a lovely gentleness about him. I suppose he's a man's man, but who's not afraid of showing his feelings and I really liked that about him. Plus he's hot!

I was a bit disappointed that they fell in love so soon, and whilst there are sex scenes in the book they aren't gratuitous or over powering, they're quite sweet actually. After reading the later books I can see why they fell in love so soon; it makes the plot for the next couple of books work well.

All in all, they're a really good couple, the dialogue between them is funny and snarky. Bones' British Accent didn't bother me, and I'm a Brit. I did sometimes wish that he'd call Cat 'Love' instead of 'Luv' but maybe that's just a personal thing.

The supporting characters are great, although a little one dimensional at the moment - but in the next few books they grow and become part of the extended family.

Judging by all the other reviews I wasn't alone in enjoying this book and I really recommend that you not only start this series, but carry on with it too.

The reading order is:

FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON
ETERNAL KISS OF DARKNESS
THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE
ONE GRAVE AT A TIME

SCREEN/LCD SCRATCH PROTECTOR For Apple iPod Touch 2G/3G - 2nd & 3rd Generation (PACK OF 12)
Offered by GRAND GADGETS
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 6 Jun 2012
It's so handy to have so many screen protectors in one pack! Often I've only bought one at a time and when you need a screen protector, you NEED a screen protector!

The price is good, they're pretty easy to attach, although to be fair I've never put a screen protector on anything without leaving some air bubbles.

Good delivery time too.

Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3)
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, Book 3)
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets better and better and better..., 6 Jun 2012
When magic strikes and Atlanta goes to pieces, it's a job for Kate Daniels! Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that's saying a lot. But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games - an invitation-only, no-holds-barred ultimate preternatural fighting tournament - she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community . . .

Book 3 in the fabulous Kate Daniels series (Magic Bites, Magic Burns) is possibly my favourite so far. It's all starting to come together and Kate has come into her own as an amazing heroine. She's got smart, sassy, mouthy, strong, funny and gorgeous ticked, so can she tick the romance box finally?

If you're only just coming to this series, then start with Magic Bites, it's quite necessary to read all the books in order, plus it only increases your enjoyment of the series to read them in order.

Derek (Kate calls him The Boy Wonder) is a young werewolf who seems to have fallen in love for the first time; the course of true love doesn't run smoothly for him and he ends up getting attacked and nearly dies at the beginning of the book. Jim the Chief of Security for the pack goes AWOL and Curran is getting antsy... Kate is trying to keep all of them safe in her own kind of way (violence, smart-mouthing and humour) and her investigations lead her to the Midnight Games (think 'the hunger games on steroids). Pack law means that shapeshifters aren't allowed to compete in the Midnight Games so a select few have to go behind Curran's back to start a team and enter so that they can save Derek's love, and avenge him at the same time. Obviously Curran finds out... eek!

This book is soooo good, it's longer than the others so far, and the story is strong and beautifully written. Kate is getting deeper and deeper involved with her friends and she's starting to realise that her relationships with them are a little bit more important than locking herself and her heart away from everyone in the belief that this will keep them safe from the demons in her past.

We learn even more about her past in this book, and the reasons she is motivated to behave the way she has. We also get to meet the Bouda's in more detail, who can resist them! They are possibly my favourite of the shape shifter clans, and Rafael is awesome. We also get to spend a bit more time with the characters we've grown to love whilst they are together at the Midnight Games, and we finally (FINALLY!) get to see Kate's feelings for Curran. There are some wonderful scenes between them in this book. I think their constant bickering is fabulous, it's funny and it's touching. I must have read some of their scenes 10 times before I let myself move on to the rest of the book.

I think if a book can make you smile, whilst transporting you to another world and making you ignore all other duties while you're reading it then it's a fine book indeed.

This is urban fantasy at it's very best. Read it, and then read it again. Fans of Patricia Briggs, Jeaniene Frost, Seanan Mcguire should love this book and series. It's in my top 3 and I read ALOT of urban fantasy.

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, Book 2)
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper of a series, 6 Jun 2012
Blurb: "Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare . . . As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate's going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one. When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta's paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest - and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods
hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can't stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive . . ."

Book 2 in the fabulous Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (husband and wife Ilona and Andrew).

Kate Daniels is one of my all time favourite Urban Fantasy characters, she's funny, mouthy, strong, fiercely loyal to those she considers her friends and she is desperate to not let anyone be hurt by her closely guarded family secret.

The things that make me love this series are that Kate is a heroine you can really get behind, she's not perfect and she will make mistakes but she will do her best to fix them. Almost any scene with Kate and Curran is a good one; they annoy the
hell out of each other but there is the beginnings of an attraction which is admitted by Curran first. The romance is subtle (ish!), but it's meaningful, honestly written and it's just so beautiful. I find myself cherishing some of the
scenes between these two. They spar so well, verbally and physically and it's believable.

The supporting characters are fabulous too, you'll get to know Andrea and Derek better as the books go on and Julie is the perfect way for Ilona Andrews to showcase Kate's caring side; that despite her past and her conditioning, she will not letthe innocent, or the people she cares for down.

If you haven't read book 1 then please do, you've got such a good series waiting for you!

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels)
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant start to a fantastic series, 6 Jun 2012
Set in the future in Atlanta where the world is split in either 'magic time' when magic dominates and nothing technical (cars, phones, guns lights etc) works, or in 'tech' where nothing magic works. No-one knows when the magic will fall, and the landscape is now littered with buildings that couldn't stand up to the magic. It's an interesting world filled with Shapeshifters, mages, beasts and vampires. Kate Daniels is a great heroine, she's got an intriguing secret past which comes out slowly over the books and alot of what she does and how she acts is due to that secret history. She has been bought up to be a fighter, a ruthless machine in some ways that forms no connections and takes extreme measures to make sure no-one figures out who she really is. Despite all of this, she's a good person and when her guardian Greg dies at the beginning of this book she feels she owes it to him to find out who killed him. She starts working at 'The Order' which is a magical policing agency where Greg used to work so that she can try and find his killer. This brings her previous solitary work life into the path of the Shapeshifters, and in particular their leader, King of the Shapeshifters Curran (mini swoon).

Ilona Andrews (husband and wife team, Ilona and Andrew) have written the first book in a series that gets better and better. They've created such a rich world full of 3 dimensional characters. Kate is such a great character, she's funny, clever and mouthy. The baddies are horribly bad, the goodies are sometimes justifiably bad too, but for the greater good!

The romance in this series is a slow burn, if you like your romance quick and passionate you'll be disappointed, but I urge you to stick around and watch the romance flourish, you'll be rooting for it and cherishing every scene.

I love this series, I can't tell you enough how much I love it. Ilona Andrews is in my top 3 urban fantasy writers, the writing is consistently good, inventive, and funny. The interactions between the characters are so good.

I'm so sure you won't regret getting started in Kate's world.

This is a Love Story: But Not Every Story is the Same
This is a Love Story: But Not Every Story is the Same
by Jessica Thompson
Price: 6.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, funny and heart warming, 30 May 2012
This is like a modern day "when Harry met Sally". When Nick & Sienna meet it's an instant attraction but the timing isn't right and they each decide the other doesn't fancy them so take it no further. They fall in love without telling the other one and you can kind of understand why they just don't blurt it out, they've become such friends and they don't want to spoil a friendship especially when neither thinks the other feels "that way". It spans 5 years and it never gets boring or tired. You know they will get together, you just don't know the circumstances! It made me laugh and cry and grin & I think that's the sign of a great book.

Unsticky
Unsticky
by Sarra Manning

5.0 out of 5 stars A love story, 29 May 2012
This review is from: Unsticky (Paperback)
This is about Grace; unlucky in love, poorly paid, in huge debt, a compulsive shopper and someone lacking in self worth. She's a bit caustic, but funny and quite sweet. This is also about Vaughan; older than Grace, stinking rich, dominant and controlling but also insecure and commitment phobic. Vaughan offers a grace a business proposal. Something that will get her out of debt and allow her a bit of fun and freedom, but all on his terms and only for a fixed term.

I think the beauty of Sarra Manning is that she takes an simple idea (although being a mistress isn't that simple!) and makes it beautiful. She has such a lovely way with words. She writes about blossoming love, heartache, sex and relationships so well that you just know it could be you.

I wasn't completely in love with the characters but I loved the book, I love her writing, I love the ending and I love how I can finish one of her books and feel a connection with her characters and a yearning for more.

This is a great book, you pretty much know from the start how it will end, but the journey is adorable.

Also, read "You don't have to say you love me" by Sarra Manning too as it's even more lovely than this one.

About That Night (FBI/U.S. Attorney)
About That Night (FBI/U.S. Attorney)
Price: 4.02

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun fun fun!, 28 May 2012
I really like Julie James' she's carved herself out a respectable little niche in this market and is edging towards Rachel Gibson status with each book. I was looking forward to this one and it was fun, sexy, sweet and great escapism.

Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok start..., 28 May 2012
So many reviewers are comparing this series to JR Wards series (which is excellent by the way and well worth a read) and I suppose it's because we wanted to find something similar that some of us found Lara Adrian. I think from reading the reviews that I knew what to expect - and to compare it to a JR Ward book is a bit unfair but you just can't escape the similarities to Dark Lover and unfortunately this 1st book didn't start off too well - there's almost no character connection or growth, and I felt the only reason the main characters ended up together is because that's just what was supposed to happen. I know you're supposed to suspend your belief when reading this kind of fiction but it was just a little too flat for my liking. Having said that, the 2nd half was so much better, the story flowed and it got a bit more exciting. I've ordered the next in the series - I feel if the series has so many positive reviews then I owe it a chance.

I'm not saying don't buy it, I think it's worth a chance to make its own mark on the genre.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7