Profile for sassbook > Reviews

Content by sassbook

sassbook

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Gunmetal Magic (World of Kate Daniels Novels)
Gunmetal Magic (World of Kate Daniels Novels)
by Ilona Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab spin off in the Kate Daniels World, 16 Sept. 2012
'Gunmetal Magic' is Andrea's book, and I think she's a very worthy heroine in this fabulous world created by Ilona Andrews. I'm always fascinated that Ilona Andrews is a husband and wife writing team; they clearly work very well together as the writing is always seamless but I often find myself wondering which bit is his idea and which is hers! Andrea was introduced quite early on in the Kate Daniels series and Kate and Andrea quickly became best friends, they both have murky histories, but quick humour, loyalty and bravery are what brings them together. Andrea is an intriguing character, she's a bouda (hyena) but she's sort of on the edge of their world and doesn't want to be bought into the pack. Her relationship with Raphael who is the Alpha Bouda's much loved son always tickled me back in the Kate books, so I was really looking forward to reading more about them here, but also more about the Bouda's who are possibly my favourite clan of shapeshifters with their sense of fun, trickiness and all round horniness!

This is about Andrea putting her life back together after being sacked from 'The Order', she's now Kate's partner in a little crime fighting agency. It was really nice to see her in full action as she starts to investigate a crime for the pack; this brings her straight back into contact with Raphael who she's been going through a somewhat 'tricky' patch with.

If you love Kate, then you must already love Andrea. And if you love Andrea then you must love the Bouda's - so, there is so much more to love in this book. It's full of action and fun. I really loved it, and I loved the little glimpses of Kate, but mostly I loved Andrea getting her life back on track. You really should buy this book, I don't think you'll regret it.

Dream Lake: Number 3 in series (Friday Harbor)
Dream Lake: Number 3 in series (Friday Harbor)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice edition to the series, 16 Aug. 2012
In my eyes Lisa Kleypas can't do much wrong. I first discovered her modern romances - Smooth Talking Stranger etc which you really should read after this one if you haven't! - then I moved onto her historical romances even though I wasn't a fan of the genre and I loved them. So I was excited for the release of Dream Lake which is the 2nd full novel after Rainshadow Road (I think she did a novella for the first 'brother' of the family, but I haven't read that one).

There are many good things about this book; the setting is lovely, a small arty coastal town in America; the main and supporting characters are well-developed and interesting; the romance is always satisfying in a Kleypas book; and the characterisation is always excellent. Lisa Kleypas doesn't skimp on letting us get to know a character and the dialogus is always funny, sweet and always adds to the book well.

This book is about tortured Alex who is battling his demons in all the wrong ways and lovely Zoe Hoffman who is a cook at a local b&b. In a side plot close to my heart, Zoe's grandmother has alzheimers and this is portrayed sensitively and with feeling in the story.

The characters grow well and the love story feels well deserved.

I didn't particularly love the sub plot of the ghost, but I get what Lisa Kleypas was doing and she mostly did it well and although it was necessary to the plot, it didn't help it in my opinion.

If you're looking for romance that is well written, well rounded, sweet and funny then you really can't look much further than Lisa Kleypas, despite my small reservations with this book it wouldn't stop me buying the next in the series or any of her other books.

Settle down and treat yourself with this book.

Rescue Me
Rescue Me

4.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rescue Me (Kindle Edition)
I do love Rachel Gibson and I think I've read all of her books, so buying 'Rescue Me' was a bit of a no-brainer, I don't even think I read the reviews before I bought it - but if you're not as impulsive as me then here's a bit about it...

Rachel Gibson is one of the Queen's of the light, fun, sweet, sexy romance genre - she's never really let me down with a book, and you know that you'll enjoy reading anything she's written. Rescue Me was no different in that respect, but the subject was a little 'edgier' than usual.

Sadie is heading back to her home town to be a bridesmaid and on the way she meets ex-Navy SEAL Vince Haven who is broken down by the side of the road (his car is broken down, not him!), Sadie impulsively asks him to be her date to the wedding but he refuses. Sadie is a bit of a sweetheart, and Vince is a bit of a closed book, he's not interested in any kind of relationship as he's getting over some trauma from when he was a SEAL.

Well, you should all know how it ends up anyway, you don't need a reviewer to tell you! I wouldn't say it's as good as some of Rachel's previous books, some of it is a bit rushed maybe and the ending didn't sit quite rightly with me, but I would still recommend it for all fans of Rachel Gibson, or for anyone looking to see how this genre should be done. Sweet, funny, romantic and perfect for a bit of escapism. Thanks Rachel.

Magic Dreams: A Penguin Special from Ace (Kate Daniels)
Magic Dreams: A Penguin Special from Ace (Kate Daniels)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab little gem, 2 July 2012
Fabulous short story about Jim (the pack head of security) and Dali, a shape shifting tiger; and their adventure.

I already really liked Jim and Dali who we meet in previous Kate Daniels books and this story showed them both at their best. Written from Dali's point of view, my only complaint is that it wasn't longer! It could have definitely been a novel.

Ilona and Gordon Daniels are very generous with their short stories, and I'm so pleased I read this one. It's a great companion to their Kate Daniels series - or even the new Andrea series that is coming out this month. It's just good to spend time with the characters and learn more about them.

Discount Armageddon (Incryptid Novels)
Discount Armageddon (Incryptid Novels)
by Seanan McGuire

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully odd but fun unique urban fantasy, 2 July 2012
I find this book really difficult to explain which is probably unhelpful if you're reading this trying to decide if you should buy the book or not...

I'll start by saying that I love Seanan McGuire, and I'm a huge fan of her October Daye series (starts with Rosemary and Rue, if you're interested!), but I've never read her Mira Grant series and for some reason I was a bit anxious about starting a new on especially as this one seems so odd!

What I've come to love about Seanan McGuire is that she's so unique, and I read alot of urban fantasy so I hope that I'm a good judge of that! I can tell that she's having a huge amount of fun with this book, yet it's just as meticulously researched and well written as her other series.

Verity Price is from a long line of cryptozoologists who make it their business to help keep the cryptids (monsters to you and me) safe and harm free. They will hunt them down and kill them if they go bad, but generally it's all about looking after them. There's a new guy in town and he's hunting the monsters too...

Verity wants to be a ballroom dancer and she has a family of talking mice living in her apartment. This should tell you a bit about the story; it's fun, original, quick paced, interesting and has a little romance too. It's part of a new series and I'll definitely be getting the next book.

Once Burned: A Night Prince Novel
Once Burned: A Night Prince Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars First in a new spin off series, 28 Jun. 2012
Having read all of the author's other books, I was really looking forward to Vlad's books as he's my favourite supporting character in the Cat & Bones series. He is an interesting man (vampire!) and I wanted to get to know him better. I don't quite know what to make of this book, but I know it's part of a new series so I'll give it a chance. Vlad meets psychic Leila while she is kidnapped and telepathically begs for his help. Leila is a nice character, she's quite well written - maybe because the book is her POV you don't get to see much of Vlad's feelings. I just thought there was a lack of chemistry with these two which was a shame - I think the sex thing could have been delayed while we got to know them a bit better and understood why they liked each other.

Having said all that I did enjoy it despite my gripes, its a good addition to the set and will definitely read the next one.

One Salt Sea (October Daye Novels)
One Salt Sea (October Daye Novels)
by Seanan McGuire

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect urban faery fantasy, 25 Jun. 2012
Book 5 in the fabulously clever, warm, exciting, witty October Daye series. I have a few favourite urban fantasy authors; Kate Daniels, Patricia Briggs, Faith Hunter and Seanan McGuire. The other night I was trying to work out which of their characters I'd like to be and I decided I'd want to be Toby Daye. I've read and re-read all of the books in this series and they bring me something new every time. For instance, I read this when it first came out in 2011 and I was a little disappointed with it because at first I thought it lacked a bit of focus (and maybe I was a wee bit sad about Toby's love interest!), so I read it again this weekend and I loved it. I found myself rushing home from a party just so I could continue reading it and being immersed in Toby's world. I found it so strong that I re-read the last few chapters again after I'd finished because I didn't want to let it go, and I've been thinking about it ever since.

In this book, the Luidaeg calls on Toby for help after the sons of The Duchy of Saltmist are kidnapped. All of our favourite characters are there; Toby, May, The Luidaeg, Danny, Sylvester, Quentin, Connor and of course Tybalt and his nephew Raj. I was so pleased that Raj got 'involved' in this story as it's so good to have more interaction with the court of cats. The little gang is so well written, they work so well together and Toby and her little family of friends come alive on every page.

I won't spoil, but I was really pleased to see more of Tybalt in this book - I know that sounds a bit fan-girly, but Tybalt is such a good character. Perhaps it's because Seanan is such a cat lover that she writes the Court of Cats so well.

Even with my slight niggles with this book, it's still worth every one of it's 5 stars. If you like strong, well written and researched, witty urban fantasy then you really would be mad not to start reading Seanan's Toby series starting with Rosemary and Rue. I can't praise them enough and I'm so looking forward to Ashes of Honor in September 2012.

Minerva (The Six Sisters Series)
Minerva (The Six Sisters Series)
by M.C. Beaton

4.0 out of 5 stars Regency Romancing, 7 Jun. 2012
This is the first in MC Beaton's Six Sister Series and starts with Minerva, the oldest of the Armitage sisters. The Rev Charles Armitage has fallen on hard times, and decides that he needs to marry off Minerva to someone rich so that he can get some money. Minerva is a serious, helpful girl and the family will miss her as she gets sent to stay with a family friend, Lady Godolphin for the London Season. This is a sweet, funny book, it's not tremendously long, but it's a great start to a series which brings us engaging quirky characters and a nice slice of regency and romance. Some of the characters are fabulous; The Rev Charles is a bit of an old lech and not very Godly, but he's a fun character. Lady Godolphin is great, full of one liners and very calculating. Minerva is a sweetheart, but she hasn't quite learnt how to be tactful, and her honesty gets her in trouble a few times. The Hero is dashing and suave, and he sets out to save Minerva from making mistakes by falling for the wrong kind of man. It's a nice book, easily read in a day that will make you smile.

Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica)
Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good (not so clean) paranormal romance!, 6 Jun. 2012
I think Pleasure Unbound was my first paranormal romance; I'd always preferred my fantasy to be urban and without all the sex. You may wonder why I picked this up then.... well, I was browsing for books for my kindle and this was recommended so I read the sample chapters and then quickly bought the book. In the space of the next two weeks I bought the rest of the series and I was pretty sad when I finished them. Don't you just love it when you stumble upon a good series and all of the books have been written so you don't have to wait another few years for it to wrap up?!

I couldn't choose between this series and JR Wards series, but I'm glad that I started with Ione. Many reviewers compare both series to each other and I think the comparisons are many and justified, but both authors bring enough differences to separate them. If you've just found Larissa Ione, then I would strongly recommend you take your pleasure reading this series and then move onto JR Ward after when you're feeling all lost and empty without the Demonica series!

So, what's great about this series of books then? (and you MUST read them as a series because you'll get so much enjoyment that way). The men, after all that's what it's all about isn't it? Surely you don't start reading this book because you're interested in finding out about a demon run hospital? Or maybe you do... if so, ignore all the leather, hot men and sex. The men are a rare form of incubus demon and they're doing their best to carve out their lives in their own paranormal world. Eidolon runs a demon hospital (amazing idea!) caring for injured and sick demons and his brothers work there with him. Tayla, who is a demon-slayer is bought to the hospital after she is injured on a job. She's a good strong character and I liked her alot. So often the women in fantasy are interchangable only by their hair colour so I'm glad that Ione made an effort with the women in this series. Eidolon and Tayla fall in love (eventually), have lots of sex and help save the world. I don't mean to sound flippant, but the plot isn't the best part of this book and series. The characters are, and they are really good. They all appear in each book, they interact beautifully and they are funny, strong and pretty hot.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this series, but that's what good writing does for you. It was engaging, funny, intriguing and yes, it was sexy. There are so many good things about it and you can tell that the author had planned it all out and really had an idea of who her characters were. Buy it, have fun reading it and then read the next one.

Reading order:

Pleasure Unbound
Desire Unchained
Passion Unleashed
Ecstacy Unveiled
Sin Undone

Rainshadow Road: Number 2 in series (Friday Harbor)
Rainshadow Road: Number 2 in series (Friday Harbor)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, heart-warming read., 6 Jun. 2012
I really like Lisa Kleypas, although I've never read any of her historical novels choosing instead to stick to the contemporary ones which have been excellent.

This is such a nice feel good book, her books seem to be enriched by colours, flavours and textures that always make them come alive. Lucy Marinn is about to get dumped by her boyfriend for her younger sister. Sam Nolan who owns a local vineyard is about to meet Lucy and along the process he's going to help her find true love instead of crappy love.

The characters are lovely, Sam is just the right side of Alpha, and Lucy is sweet. This is romance writing at it's best; it's not too cheesey or slushy or tiresome. It's heart-warming and does your soul good.

Apparently this is the 2nd in the series, I didn't read the first which is a novella and I don't think it's necessary to the story.

Enjoy!