Profile for T. Stennett > Reviews

Content by T. Stennett

T. Stennett (Marburg, Germany)

Beginner's Russian Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Languages)
Beginner's Russian Book/CD Pack (Teach Yourself Languages)
by Rachel Farmer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if Russian is your first foreign language, 15 Sep 2008
This book starts at the very basics and goes at a good pace, giving plenty of opportunity for practice, topics that one is likely to encounter on a holiday in Russia and clear pronunciation guides. However, as Russian is not my first foreign language, I found the grammar wasn't explained as clearly as I'd like. The verb declinations are given as set phrases (eg. I play guitar) and it doesn't explain how to then take the same verb and decline it differently (eg. he plays guitar) until much later in the book.

I would thoroughly recommend this book to those who haven't learned a foreign language before, but if you are already familiar with cases and verb declination, and want a more grammar-based approach, this probably isn't the book for you.

Ewan McGregor And Charley Boorman - Long Way Round [Special Edition] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Ewan McGregor
Offered by PickleTickle
Price: 14.73

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 9.48 I've ever spent, 2 Dec 2007
This DVD was absolutely cracking! You really see the guys for who they are and experience all the ups and downs with them. The East Asia bit was the bit I was really looking forward to and it didn't disappoint in the slightest. It's good to see some famous people going out and doing something genuinely interesting for once, and helping disadvantaged kids to boot.

I rode my (push)bike to Astana, Kazakhstan from England this year, and had many similar experiences so I could really relate to Ewan and Charley in the programme. I hope to take my bike to Mongolia and Russia some time soon, and this DVD has really fuelled my wanderlust. If you're a real traveller or just an armchair traveller then you will not regret buying this DVD.