Profile for B. Kelly > Reviews

Content by B. Kelly

B. Kelly "Working Girl" (Yorkshire, UK)

Asus VivoBook S500CA 15.6-inch Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant laptop!, 28 Dec. 2013
This was bought for my 18year old daughter who needed a laptop that was not heavy or bulky for travelling. It wins on these as it is narrow and lightweight. I have seen her demonstrate the touchscreen and it is brilliant, very easy to use and responsive. She is very impressed and is quite knowledgeable about PCs etc so this is not the view I'd someone who knows nothing. There is no DV/CD drawer but everything is downloadable now anyway and this facility would have added weight which she did not want. It is really a great laptop at a brilliant price and I would be happy to recommend it.

Emile Henry Flame Tagine Rouge 32cm
Emile Henry Flame Tagine Rouge 32cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 28 Oct. 2012
My larger version of the Emile Henry Tagine was a gift at Christmas. I am a keen cook, love Moroccan and all casserole type food. This is so practical, I have a gas hob and have had no issues with heat at all. It has been in the oven too and performs brilliantly, no cracks of any sort have appeared. But I do not put mine on a high heat immediately rather build it up to the higher heat. That to me is good sense because I want to look after my trusty tagine! I cook in it a lot, meat is beautifully tenderised by the steam in the dome and all flavours are retained. It does look great on the table too but it sits on my stove all the time ready for use and I use it three or four times a week. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys one pot food and who hates washing up lots of dishes!!

Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation SPF 15 - Barely Buff - 10g
Lily Lolo Mineral Foundation SPF 15 - Barely Buff - 10g
Offered by Lily Lolo

5.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage and great value, 18 Feb. 2012
I love this foundation, I have used it for over two years and think it offers amazing coverage without being cakey. It lasts incredibly well and I think the shades I use - which vary from summer to winter - are good skin match shades. I tried Lily Lollo because I have sensitive skin and it got good reviews in the media for being better for those with sensitive skins. It is cheaper than alternatives - I have tried Laura Mercier - but in my opinion this is better and feels lighter to wear.

Strength in What Remains
Strength in What Remains
by Tracy Kidder

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable, amazing story, 2 July 2010
I have given this book five stars and it deserves them. This is a true story written by a skilful writer who crafts relity in to a style that has the flow of a fictional read - where the author has the privilege of being able to choose where his story goes.

Tracy Kidder has breathed magic in to this tale of Deo - who amazingly found his way out of genocide to the brutality of a New York that has no time for the displaced and damaged seeking refuge from horror or war. Deo did not want pity nor did he want charity, he wanted to be a Doctor so that he could help his homeland.

Unlike the other reviewer, I think the way Tracy Kidder moved from Deo's present to his past was a creative judgement - you never left the struggle that he had experienced for long because he kept returning to it - I think this was because he wanted to show us that Deo lived with this memory of genocide every day, he never slept because it haunted him so much. Kidder kept the subtle horror of this human devastation ticking constantly. So I think it works perfectly - in an almost film-like quality.

I also think Kidder wanted to touch you with the soul of these people - in news coverage you never understand the family/community/personality aspect of these war ravaged zones but Deo's story brought these home to you. They are people with aspirations and family love exists there just as here.

Deo is my hero for he returned to help those that had not escaped. He did struggle with his memories but he triumphed over the struggle of being ruined by them. Every page of this book shows how amazing life can be, people you meet along the way, random acts of kindness, books that you read, these all had impacts on Deo's own story of survival. Do read it - you will be educated, you will be charmed, you will be saddened at human cruelty but you will be inspired. Kidder deserves an award for writing this book, everyone should read it.

Bridge of Sighs
Bridge of Sighs
by Richard Russo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 8 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Bridge of Sighs (Paperback)
Bridge of Sighs sucks you in to a world where small things happen and ordinary people become as real as the ones you live with. It explores the failings of friendship and love, the unfairness of everyday society and the quiet, forgotten hopes and dreams of years gone by that haunt us all in some shape or form. Russo is an artist with words, he depicts the scenes he sets with the utmost attention to detail and holds the lives of his characters up for judgement knowing that their strengths and weaknesses are in us all. He puts marriage under the looking glass and you witness the soldiering on that goes on in every long-term pairing and recognise the importance of that on many levels. I sighed deeply when I turned the last page because I wanted it to carry on. If you like to inhabit the book you read, this is the book for you.

Restoration
Restoration
by Rose Tremain

4.0 out of 5 stars Different but truly superb, 22 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Restoration (Paperback)
I have read other books by Rose Tremain and found this very different. You have to stick with this book in the beginning but I found it a really absorbing and highly entertaining read once it got going. Her main character, Merivel is superbly characterized and on the surface quite loathsome but you end up feeling very fond of him because he knows his own weaknesses and is always trying to improve himself. I laughed out loud on several occassions because she vividly depicts the scenes so well. It is historical and she relates the lavish lives of the royal court in contrast to the extreme poverty on the streets with great skill - it is all done within Merivel's narration which I found captivating. Try it - I am sure you will enjoy this unusual journey.

New 5th Generation Nano Green Flip Case + Green Sock & Green Silicone Cover With Screen Protector For the New Apple iPod 5G Nano with Camera (Sep 2009) 8GB & 16GB + Green Neck Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kit for Travelling, 13 May 2009
I bought this to match my new greed ipod and also specifically to porotect it while I travelled on business. It is perfect for this, the little case has a detachable neat neck strap, preventing you from dropping it when you are sat on a flight with loads of magazines on your lap and then you stnd up to let someone out, you forget about the ipod and it drops on the floor! Been there, done that!! I keep my plugs in the sock and so all in all very useful and a brilliant pice for the quality. Prompt delivery too and my kids want one now...so it must be ok!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Annie Barrows

4.0 out of 5 stars "Days gone by", 27 Nov. 2008
I don't normally read books that are written like this - in the form of letters even though I am a keen letter writer myself. But the title (and this is tuly shallow - I know!) made me buy it. It is lightweight in many ways but a real winner in so many others. The characters are beautifully revealed to the reader and I truly appreciated the delightful eccentricities of them, having come from a small community myself. It is a trip into the post war years when although the memories of recent atrocities still invaded daily life, they were blissfully unaware of the damage that excess and overt materialism can do. It was a bit like a jolly Mitford novel - a glorious tale of 'days gone by' and I loved it; which just goes to show that choosing a book simply because you like what it's called is the perfect way to buy one!

Meet Joe Black
Meet Joe Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 April 2008
This review is from: Meet Joe Black (Audio CD)
I bought this cd because Amazon offered it as a double deal for under a tenner! I loved the last song - Somewhere over the Rainbow and thought why not treat yourself to it, it costs nothing! Anyway,it is such a beautiful collection and I totally love it. Very relaxing to listen to but in no way boring, it lulls you, then teases you, then absorbs you - superb. I think it allows you to have a glass of wine and ponder or as I just did peel the potatoes and ponder!!! There's more than one gem on this cd - it is a collection of gems. Treat yourself!