Profile for House of Loxley > Reviews

Content by House of Loxley

House of Loxley (Nottingham, UK)

30-Second Bible: The 50 Most Meaningful Moments in the Bible, Each Explained in Half a Minute
by Dr Russell Re Manning
Price: 9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book - would make an excellent gift for someone being Confirmed or receiving their First Communion, 31 Jan 2014
This is a book for someone who is already familiar with the "classic" Biblical stories - Adam and Eve, David and Goliath, Jonah and the Whale, Jesus' Birth, The Good Samaritan, The Resurrection... But what this book does is fill in the fascinating background to so many of the accounts: the symbolism, the cross-references, the play on words in the original language. It's not a weighty, academic tome, but it does give an insight into why the 50 "most meaningful moments" in the Old and New Testament were written as they were. I've recommended it to my local vicar, so that she can pass on the reference to godparents, sponsors etc. who are stuck for a suitable gift!

La Traviata: The Royal Opera House [DVD]
La Traviata: The Royal Opera House [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angela Gheorghiu
Price: 16.76

2.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT a PAL recording, as described!, 31 Jan 2014
This DVD recording is described by Amazon as:

Format: Classical, Closed-captioned, Colour, Dolby, DVD-Video, PAL

This is incorrect. It is an NTSC recording (i.e. the US colour system) which will only play on a DVD player which can switch (or be switched) from PAL (the UK colour system) to NTSC, and back again.

The production and the recording are both excellent. It's Amazon's "fail" for getting the technical description wrong!

Hozelock Aquastop Connector
Hozelock Aquastop Connector
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this item should be quoted on the Stock Exchange, 9 July 2013
Why on Earth does the selling price of this item vary so much? The figure seems to go up and down several times a year. Supply and demand, maybe? If that IS the case, Hozelock really do need to grow up and treat potential customers better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY prone to frost damage!, 9 Jun 2013
Do NOT leave outdoors if there is any likelihood of frost! If water freezes inside the spray gun, it cracks the plastic and the gun becomes unusable. We are now on our third!! :-((

Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine
Delonghi EC152 Pump Espresso Coffee Machine
Offered by WOMB SECURITY
Price: 149.99

1.0 out of 5 stars I suspect we were sent a previously-used, broken machine!, 8 Dec 2012
When I opened the coffee machine box, I noticed a small amount of water in the machine. It looked unused in every other respect, so I assumed it was simply a machine that had been tested... Big mistake. When I set up and flushed through the machine as directed, from the first cup of espresso made, the coffee "hopper" contained wet sludge which spilt everywhere when the machine was disassembled. The Delonghi rep happened to be in our local John Lewis store when my wife was shopping. When questioned about the sludge, the rep confirmed this was definitely a fault. So the machine has gone back. In retrospect, I think the machine had been returned by a previous customer, in which case shame on Amazon for trying to fob it off on us! This was to be our second Delonghi coffee machine: the first developed a leak after 3 years and apparently it costs 140 to get someone to even look at a Delonghi coffee maker. Outrageous!! This experience has therefore dented our confidence in the quality of Delonghi products. Shame really, because when the first machine worked, it made great espresso. :-((

Bosch Rotak 320 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
Bosch Rotak 320 Electric Rotary Lawn Mower
Offered by HomeIdeas4u
Price: 86.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, functional, light lawn mower, 17 Sep 2009
I hate lawn mowing, but it's a job that has to be done (unless Amazon start selling sheep that only eat grass and not flowers). This mower is light and easy to use. Its only failing is that it tilts back when the grass box is full, but at least that tells you the grass box is full!! Oh, and you need to buy a flex tidy unless you want the flex to get tangled in the garage.

Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer
Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer
by Rand McNally
Price: 11.14

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes you appreciate the Ordnance Survey!, 22 Nov 2002
I wanted a clear, detailed map of the American state of Virginia. My boss makes frequent visits to cities in Virginia, and it makes sense that he should have a large-scale atlas. I've always heard that DeLorme are the definitive cartographers for the USA, so I bought their Virginia Atlas and Gazetteeer. I'm very disappointed with it. At 2.4 miles to the inch, the scale is too small to allow navigation along anything but the main roads, yet it is too large to get an overall view from one part of the state to the next. Printed in varying shades of green background (OK, it IS a topographic map) with all roads in red (even interstates), the maps are not easily read at the best of times. In failing light, they become impossible. Oh, and my boss is colour-blind! It makes me appreciate the clarity of UK Ordnance Survey maps - pity they don't do one for Virginia!