Profile for b > Reviews

The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
by Lorna Yabsley

5.0 out of 5 stars bloody awful title hiding a fantastic book, 27 Dec 2013
Having been given it for christmas I am so in love with it it explains in clear and easy to understand ways the fundamental principles of good photography. For me it brought my knowlege from waybackwhen pre-digital up to date
from setting the scene to prossessing and finally printing I would say this is an essential book for anyone wanting to make the first steps away from auto even if you have to amend the title with a marker pen. If I could have given it more stars I would have. I cant put it down

The Desperate Diary of a Country Housewife
The Desperate Diary of a Country Housewife

2.0 out of 5 stars twaddle, 27 Mar 2011
was really disappointed with this self depreciating load of old twaddle I`d high hope for this but as it was I struggled to make it to the unrealistic unlikely end. Sorry I wasted my money

Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
by Sarah Napthali

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 Jun 2010
Having spent the first few years looking for a book that tells me how children work, I have now found a book that understands how I work and shows me how I can manage myself as a parent and as a person. The best book on life I have read. You will not regret buying this.

Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household: 25 Cute Projects from Japan (Stc Craft)
by Therese Laskey

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice book, 26 Feb 2010
I really like this book. If I had to describe it, it would be "modern Cute" the projects are neat and the directions clear. I'm really likely to buy more from this range. there are a few patterns for purses and pouches - how many does a girl need? but good for presents etc.

Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
by Heather Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to love this book......but, 26 Feb 2010
I love the book, and the layout, The projects are cool and modern and there seem to be a lot of them.

The first think to do is to check the errata - and there are quite a few of them. Its a shame that they weren't picked up before the book was published. Heather if you are reading this, I offer to trial any patterns in your next book for you to pick up any snags (in exchange for a free book!)

I made the skirt that is on the front cover and even after adding 2 extra panels it is still coming up on the small side (which believe me is not what you want with a wrapskirt...!) I think the pattern is too narrow rather than too few panels in it.

I'm going to give it one more go and make the kimono style dress but I did expect a little more as in patterns that work. I'm confident enough to make alterations to patterns to make them fit, but it might be more tricky for a novice sewer.

On the plus side, the directions seem good and the extra sections at the back and front about sewing space, sewing kit and fabric etc are nice. and there are a lot of projects in the book. The bag looks good and I might make that too - at least it won't matter if that comes up small or big!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2010 10:36 PM GMT