Profile for RK > Reviews

Heart-Shaped Box
Heart-Shaped Box
by Joe Hill
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars Reads like the slow and bloated later novels of his father., 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Heart-Shaped Box (Paperback)
I gave this a try because, Joe Hill being younger than his father, I thought it might read like the younger and more vigorous Stephen King. And I can see that Joe is striving to emulate his dad - going for the same kind of humor, the same extreme kinds of characters and situations. And, to his credit, for about a third of the book, he manages to pull it off. After that, he runs out of imagination. He doesn't know where to take the story. So he tries for "character depth" instead, drowning us in exposition the way his dad did in "Wolves of the Calla". And so the pace kind of sludges to a halt. I skimmed the last half of the book just to see what happened (nothing very original or exciting) and vowed never to read him again. Who knows, though. Maybe I spoke too fast, and this this boy will develop.

The Beatles In Mono
The Beatles In Mono
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 145.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyous, 10 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Beatles In Mono (Audio CD)
Working my way through these. Made it through Help! so far. The album that has leapt to life the most so far has been Please Please Me, which had always sounded a little on the twee side before -- talented kids playing in the studio for the first time. But as soon as I Saw Her Standing There starts I hear the dirty thumping grit of Hamburg.

Hearing the mono mixes in the headphones gives you one complete sound, as though the Beatles are in front of you. Gone are those tracks where the drums are all over to one side and the vocals on another. You get the whole blast. Another eye-popping moment is Ticket to Ride, that soaring guitar (played by Paul so the back of the mini-album cover says) with Ringo's drums pile-driving in overtop. I've Just Seen a Face takes on a new urgency. And the track I'd always kind of ignored before, You Got Me Dizzy Miss Lizzy, now hearkens back to that rough and ready band that jumped out at me on the Please Please Me album.

All the cliches are true with this release: I'm hearing the Beatles with fresh ears, and I do honestly understand what people mean when they say that the mono mixes were the way these songs were originally meant to sound. I'll need no other versions, thank you. The only stereo Beatles I'll want to hear from now on are Abbey Road and Let It Be. I can't wait to move on to Rubber Soul next.

And yes, drinking this Kool-Aid has been a pricey quaff, but a flavorful one which lingers on the palette like a fine wine.

Handling the Undead
Handling the Undead
by John Ajvide Lindqvist

2.0 out of 5 stars Loses its way, 2 May 2009
This review is from: Handling the Undead (Paperback)
After "Let the Right One In" I was looking forward to reading more of Lindqvist and I thought I'd found someone who had redeemed the horror genre. It was a unique twist to the vampire tale and the author did a superb job of adapting it to the screen.

So far, so good.

Well, this book starts with a unique twist to the zombie tale. But, unlike the story of Oscar and Eli, "Handling the Undead" loses its narrative drive about halfway through. The tension simply drops out. I was left reading chapter after chapter wondering why each had been included in the book since nothing much happened to drive the story forward. Now, with about a hundred pages to go, I'm bored and I don't care about any of the characters. I'm skimming pages just to try to get to the end of the novel. I'm considering giving up. It feels like a waste of time.

Too bad. Maybe his next novel will be better.

The Nightmare Factory
The Nightmare Factory
by Colleen Doran

1.0 out of 5 stars Not by Thomas Ligotti, 21 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Nightmare Factory (Paperback)
I ordered this thinking it was a collection of short-stories by Thomas Ligotti. It isn't. It's a graphic novel based on 4 of his stories. Frankly, I'd rather read the stories, so am very disappointed.The Nightmare Factory Since this item was not described as a graphic novel, I feel misled.

Too High to Die
Too High to Die
Offered by rbmbooks
Price: 20.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A mature classic from the desert-punk gang., 2 July 2004
This review is from: Too High to Die (Audio CD)
A more straight-forward rock sound for the Puppets on this one, but still full of the slightly dazed Arizona-desert-folk-punk-pop that made this band one of the most original fringe bands of the late eighties and early nineties. Standout tracks include "Violet Eyes", "Severed Goddess Hand" and the wonderfully acoustic ho-dunk bluegrassy "Shine". If you're in the mood for one of those long, dusty summer drives through the desert, even if only in the imagination, then check this CD out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3