Profile for William Vigar > Reviews

Content by William Vigar

William Vigar "Will Vigar" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
by Joseph Nicolosi

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 11 Mar 2014
If only I'd known about this book when I was a troubled teen! I wouldn't now be in the position of having a 17 year, stable, monogamous happy life with a beautiful and wonderful man!

Oh the humanity!

Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books
Pliny's Natural history. In thirty-seven books

2.0 out of 5 stars 27 books short and . . ., 10 July 2013
There certainly aren't 37 books in this collection. The formatting is appalling and the tech used for scanning the text doesn't recognise greek letters and 'best guesses' from its pool of non-letter characters. Particularly baffling when it's comparing the evolution of the ancient greek alphabet - that shows up as "$-^^" through it's modern greek counterpart, which is also incomprehensible and onto it's modern Arabic letter. A waste of space and money.

Return To The Stones
Return To The Stones

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 27 April 2013
I get the impression, that this sequel was original written quite quickly after the magnificent Children of the Stones but not picked up by the TV company. I get the impression that, given some of the references and modes of speech, it was polished up about 15 years ago and then re-polished for publication last year. As a result, it doesn't really read too well.

The plot is slight and seems to involve, um...not a lot really. There is a visit to the stones and a mish-mash of African and other mythologies that don't really amount to an awful lot. The central conceit of the Millbury Time Loop is jettisoned, robbing the story of it's unsettling atmosphere in favour of hippy-drippy nonsense that really isn't that threatening. Some returning characters were quite welcome, others, like Dai The Poacher who has become some sort of New Age guru, seem extremely unlikely.

What startles me most is that I recognise the elements of the story from a single issue of a magazine called "The Unexplained" that ran in 1980. It's probably coincidence, but it really feels like a mashup of the articles in issue one: The Dogon, the Legend of Count St. Germain, etc. and as such, seems....a bit desperate?

it's great to see the characters again, it really is, ( and I can't think of Adam Brake as anyone other than a curmudgeonly Gareth Thomas) but I do wish they'd been given something better and more satisfying to do.

I still love the original though!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 11:16 PM BST

Children of the Stones
Children of the Stones

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia.....sigh!, 27 April 2013
As a child, I was absolutely obsessed with this show. Running for a mere seven episodes, it had a profound effect one me and led me to a lifelong passion for the Avebury Circle and it's environs. I can remember exactly where I bought the book (The Forum in Lincoln on a visit to my Aunt and Uncle who lived in North Hykeham) and recall carrying the book with me for months and brandishing it at people the way a fundamentalism christian brandishes a bible.

35 years later, my love for Avebury remains, the original novel, kept, dog earred and looking a lot worse for wear, went missing some 5 years ago during a house move and my fondness for the story remains. Yes, there are a few plot holes that I didn't spot as a child and the writing style is a little lack-lustre, but it is still a great, atmospheric and bizarre story, and well worth re-reading.

Still, without a doubt, the scariest and weirdest TV show ever given a Kids TV and coming from a run of shows from HTV that included the frankly barking Sky and Raven, that's saying something!

In the days before home video, this book was my VCR and it's return is much welcomed.

Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe
Two Hands One Mouth Live In Europe

3.0 out of 5 stars Merely adequate . . ., 27 April 2013
Sparks live is a weird thing. For several years they toured with a "band" consisting of Ron, Russell and a drummer and although fantastic to see them live the gigs, each one enormous fun, seemed to lack a little punch, musically. When Lil' Beethoven came out, the live band was expanded to include guitar and some of the punch returned... with Hello Young lovers, they included a bassist and essentially, the classic Spark lineup returned. The gigs were amazing.

Now they do a live album, their first, and they've gone back to just keyboard a voice.

To me,this seems like a retrograde step.

There's nothing wrong with reinterpreting your oeuvre, that pretty much Sparks raison d'être, but for me, this album simply doesn't work and I'm secretly pleased I couldn't get to the gigs. One or two of the songs, most notably Sherlock Holmes and the sublime Singing In the shower, really benefit from this treatment, but the rest of the albums sound like one of the "intimate" encores they used to do. Which is fine as an encore, but as a whole album?

Thing is, its Sparks, and a bad Sparks album is still streets ahead of most other bands career defining albums. But Two Hands One Mouth, to this fans ears, seems a little lacklustre.

What I'd really like is an album of new material.

And to bring back the punch.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2013 9:39 AM BST

Real Extended: The 12 inch Mixes (1979 - 1984)
Real Extended: The 12 inch Mixes (1979 - 1984)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 30 Dec 2012
Even as a hard-core Sparks fan for some 40 years, I'd not heard a lot of these mixes.

I"m not sure I'd call any of them 'essential', as such, but it is a fascinating document of a truly innovative band.

No sound problems that I can discern, either.

Out Of This World
Out Of This World

5.0 out of 5 stars OH!, 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Out Of This World (MP3 Download)
This is just . . . a magnificent and hugely welcome return. It's so good to hear chunky guitars, killer bass and those harmonies again. Breathtaking pop.

Jazooli Earphones/Headphones With Remote, Mic & Volume Controls For Apple iPod,iPhone,iPad
Offered by uoften

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 25 Jun 2011
I bought three pairs of these, assuming they's last me for a while as I'm forever losing headphones. Quite apart from the dreadful sound quality which made everything sound like your head was in a bucket, all three pairs fell apart after 2-3 uses each; the ear pieces coming away from the housing. Okay, they were only a quid or so each, but 'caveat emptor' . . . you get what you pay for. I'll stick with the apple ones from now on... Oh, and despite being advertised as having a microphone, none of them registered on my iPod as having mic capability. All three are now in the bin.

Dazzle Ships
Dazzle Ships

5.0 out of 5 stars unbeleivable., 21 Oct 2008
This review is from: Dazzle Ships (Audio CD)
I'd not heard this album for ages; years, in fact.

This surprises me as at the time, I was utterly entranced by it. I'd been following OMD since their days as The Id and was always quietly impressed at their invention (more so once they changed into OMD). I'll admit I was becoming a bit concerned at the 'tasteful dinner party' music that seemed to be edging it's way into being, 2 Joan of Arcs was an indulgence too far!

Then, along comes Dazzle Ships and I am completely blown away.

For sheer verve, experimentation, subversion and invention, you simply can't better what OMD did to Pop music, here. Genius.

For every perfect pop moment, there's a corresponding sound collage. For every emotional, heartbreaking moment (and there are plenty), there's an icy, rational moment to balance. For every seemingly barking collage, there is an underlying meaning both cogent and life affirming. For example, 'Time Zones', a collage of speaking clocks from around the world, seems mundane and faintly dull, but from it, there's a wonderful feeling of comfort and world wide unity. It's quite astonishing!

I don't think there's a duff track on the album, proper with Of All the Things We've Made and The Romance of the Telescope being favourites...and ABC Auto-Industry, but some of the extras are a little....iffy. The early version of Telegraph is an embarrassment and I thank god and science that they saw sense and re-tooled it.

But...a fascinating album from a band at their inventive peak. This is more than music. At the risk of sounding hopelessly pretentious, this borders on Art!

Propaganda
Propaganda

5.0 out of 5 stars MInes a Pint, 22 Nov 2007
This review is from: Propaganda (Audio CD)
The only currently working band who can be said to possess GENIUS.
One of the highlights of the decade taste forgot and absolutely wonderful..

But the latest albums are sublime.

Page: 1 | 2