ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Profile for Jolly Roger > Reviews

Content by Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger "book lover" (Burntwood, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gunslinger Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful anime, 13 Oct 2008
I bought this DVD set on a whim, just looking for some sweet anime and not sure what to pluck for. Normally I'd look up some clips on t'internet to make sure that what I was buying seemed OK but this time I just 'one clicked' and worried that I'd wasted my money.

What a massive relief to find that not only had I NOT wasted my money but also discovered an absolutely fantastic series. It's slower than most anime, not as frenetic or visceral, but it more than makes up for this with great character development, and storylines that draw you in without you realising it. Some people have said that the series doesn't seem to go anywhere but I'd disagree. The character development is where it's going and the series ends leaving you wanting more. The show tugs on the heartstrings in surprising ways.

Put simply, I loved this series.

Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem - 2 Disc Ultimate Combat Edition [DVD]
Aliens Vs Predator - Requiem - 2 Disc Ultimate Combat Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steven Pasquale

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible..errr...terrible movie., 30 May 2008
I went to see this at the cinema. Quite simply the worst use of money EVER. The film is poorly shot, idiotically scripted, randomly paced, unnecessarily fan-boyish and, dare I say it one more time, terrible. Yes, it seems I do.

I only gave this film 1 star because there was no '0' star rating. I would sooner have a face hugger jump my noggin' than buy this.

I think I've made my point.

Blood - The Last Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Blood - The Last Vampire [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yūki Kudō
Offered by TwoRedSevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but HOW long?, 2 Mar 2008
Let's start on a positive note. This film looks great, is interesting, dark and broody, and makes good use of what it's got. But let us not beat around the bush about the problem with this film. It is short. VERY short. The product description lists the film as having a 69 minute run time but I put this on at 11.30 last night and it was over by 12.15.

I'd hate to tell people not to watch this, because it really is a good movie, but be aware that when I say it's short, it is indeed short.

I Am Legend (S.F. Masterworks)
I Am Legend (S.F. Masterworks)
by Richard Matheson

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for SF fans and vampire nuts alike, 20 Dec 2007
To put this in perspective, I am an avid reader and this is still the only book I have ever read in one sitting. OK, it's only 160 pages, but still this is a fantastic book and I recommend it without hesitation.

Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam
by Steve Darnall

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Sam - Simply Brilliant, 11 Dec 2007
This review is from: Uncle Sam (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and Frankly I simply could not get over how much I loved it. Great writing, beautiful artwork, and a theme that forces you to think. Verbally bashing America has become a sport in itself in the past few years, and anyone who participates will simply adore this work. But for everyone else there is still a great story here and, as I said, it forces you to think. All I would say, to those who might vicariously enjoy the slagging off of the American dream, is to look at it and see the mirror that is Britain. Despite being set across the pond, this is still a book that is painfully relevant to us.

Taking Liberties
Taking Liberties
by Chris Atkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Vital, 5 Jun 2007
This review is from: Taking Liberties (Paperback)
Don't hesitate to buy this book. While perhaps not a call to arms, as such, it is at least a summons to the battlements. It is exactly this kind of literature that will help shape the future of Britain, but only if you read it. Let the politicians know that the real agenda is not schools, hospitals or even terrorism, it is the need to preserve our basic rights. Buy this book, you won't regret it.

The first privilege of a democracy is the freedom to criticise the government.

Samurai Champloo: Volume 1 [DVD]
Samurai Champloo: Volume 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Shinichirō Watanabe
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing show - so put them all together!, 7 May 2007
Firstly let me explain the 3 stars. It doesn't deserve three stars. In fact it doesn't deserve five. Instead it should be a six, or even seven, star series. But once again we find the distributors selling them piecemeal for too much (considering a box set would only be about a tenner more).

Don't buy this version, save your money and see if you can get the whole series. If you love anime you wont' regret it. And if you don't love anime then see if you can sneak a view of this from someone else's collection, because this could be the show to convert you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6