Profile for Minna > Reviews

Legend of the Fist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Donnie Yen
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcoded subtitles, 15 Jun 2012
This review is from: Legend of the Fist [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed watching this, but I have a few complaints, which go to whoever distributed the film: the English subtitles are hardcoded, and the font is large. It's annoying because after a while of watching a film I already know what the actors are saying and I don't want to see that stupid text all the time.
Also, the mandatory trailers I have to watch every time before getting to the menu, they are really the living expression of that big "Thank you" that appears at the beginning (is it for me buying the DVD?). I am feeling all that appreciation, in the fact that you deny me the option to skip those trailers I've seen before. You make me feel like a hungry monkey trying to use a malfunctioning food dispenser.
I hope you don't do these things with your next DVD releases. Thank you!

Beast Stalker [DVD] [2008]
Beast Stalker [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Nicholas Tse
Offered by Great Buys Uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and unnecessary tricks spoil a good film, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Beast Stalker [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
There should be a "shaky camera" warning for films like this. I am only half way into the film and I'm dizzy and nauseous. I've always thought that shaking the camera, or what another reviewer calls "camera gestures", is simply a cheap way of making the story seem interesting. In the current case, the story could well be interesting and dramatic enough without that annoying, nauseating movement of the camera. Unless this film is aimed at a zombie audience and desperately tries to awaken any kind of interest in those undead minds, the camera work obviously lacks respect for the viewer who buys the DVD. It spoiled the whole thing for me.

Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy (Reality of the Psyche Series)
by Edward F. Edinger

5.0 out of 5 stars In defence of this book, 25 Jan 2011
While I agree with the previous review in that symbols cannot be dealt with schematically without risking a lot, sometimes Edinger's simple approach is the only path by which some people can begin to understand these complex matters. I mean people who perhaps don't feel like looking into something that is presented only as a difficult matter, which cannot be defined. :)
It is my case too, and I have Edinger's books to thank for opening my mind to even look into the Bible, because before reading his works I was completely uninterested, even though I had read a few of Jung's works that deal with Christian symbols to some extent. I simply couldn't understand why so many people were driven to believe the Bible word for word and say that it is so profoundly important. Since reading Edinger I was inspired, and I made my own way further into understanding.
You don't have to believe everything he writes, but reading this book is definitely useful in opening your eyes to some very important things.
So as not to mention the satisfaction of seeing it all so clearly expressed, while all other writers say it so ambiguously... you may say it's a guilty pleasure but I say it's a reassuring moment. And it can even be a way of checking your own ideas and conclusions against his: feel free to argue with his theories!
After all, if we take any of these matters too lightly, we will surely learn in time (more or less painfully) how to adjust our attitude! ;)

Johnny Cash: The Best Of The Johnny Cash TV Show [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Johnny Cash: The Best Of The Johnny Cash TV Show [DVD] [2007] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Johnny Cash
Offered by TRUEBLOODLOVER

3.0 out of 5 stars Details that you might use, 26 July 2010
These are the songs that are featured on this DVD:
1. JOHNNY CASH --I Walk The Line
2. JOHNNY CASH - Hey Porter
3. BOB DYLAN - I Threw It All Away
4. GEORGE JONES - Medley (White Lightning with JOHNNY CASH, She Thinks I Still Care, Love Bug, The Race Is On)
5. NEIL YOUNG - The Needle And The Damage Done
6. CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - Bad Moon Rising
7. LORETTA LYNN - I Know How
8. KRIS KRISTOFFERSON - Loving Her Was Easier
9. JOHNNY CASH, THE CARTER FAMILY, THE STATLER BROTHERS, CARL PERKINS AND THE TENNESSEE THREE - Daddy Sang Bass
10. RAY CHARLES - Ring Of Fire
18. MERLE HAGGARD AND JOHNNY CASH - Sing Me Back Home
19. JOHNNY CASH - Man in Black
20. DEREK AND THE DOMINOS - It's Too Late
21. JOHNNY CASH -A Boy Named Sue
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 10:44 AM BST

Arabian Waltz
Arabian Waltz

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing exotic journey, 18 Jun 2010
This review is from: Arabian Waltz (Audio CD)
This is a great collaboration between Rabih Abou Khalil and the Balanescu Quartet.
Being a fan of Led Zeppelin, this album struck me as some continuation of "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin, in the "No Quarter Unledded" way... Sure, this is not rock music, but something is similar. However, the songs are very original, and they are crafted in such a way as to keep the listener hooked. The sound is a little heavy, and even very intensely melancholy at times. I find that this album has a magical quality, doing some kind of restoration work inside my mind. While I'm listening, it seizes my mind and heart, sometimes with a little violence, and, just like a magician's spell, once it has ended, I find myself so relaxed! It's a refreshing magical journey.
The musicians:

Bob Dylan - The Golden Years 1962-1978 [2007] [DVD]
Bob Dylan - The Golden Years 1962-1978 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Dylan

1.0 out of 5 stars 5 minutes of Dylan footage, 28 May 2010
This is definitely wasted money for me. I bought this hoping to see some of those performances that are not included on "No Direction Home" and "Don't Look Back". All I got was 2 DVDs full of interviews of lots of people who knew Dylan, from his former classmates to a guy who talked about how he would search through Dylan's trash for clues... It pretty much describes what I've been doing while watching this. The 5 minutes of actual Dylan footage are made up of small and blurry bits of performances, scattered among the interviews of various other people. The "never before released photos" are also just a few, and most of them I had already seen.

Led Zeppelin - In Their Own Words [2007] [DVD]
Led Zeppelin - In Their Own Words [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Led Zeppelin
Offered by music_passion

2.0 out of 5 stars Could as well have been a CD, 1 Jan 2010
On this DVD you're going to get audio interviews of the band. The only video stuff you're going to see of the actual band members is already on the Led Zeppelin: DVD (2DVD)[2003]. They could have put this stuff on CD and sold it at a smaller price... But why should they??? ;) The booklet is of no interest at all.

Green Mansions [DVD] [1959]
Green Mansions [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn

5.0 out of 5 stars One unforgettable dream, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: Green Mansions [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I saw this film in my childhood on TV, only once I think. And I was too little to remember it consciously until now. But now that I bought it and saw it, my memories came back to me, and I must confess I was very moved! I think that both the story and the film are made with a lot of psychology in mind... It is like a dream that you can interpret afterwards and understand some important truths. If you're into Jungian psychology, you will love watching this and trying your hand at an interpretation! But even if you aren't into that, this film will touch your heart and you will probably never forget it. (Anyway I never will!) I'm not saying that you won't understand the film unless you know psychology! Quite the contrary! It's just that the story can be interpreted on two different levels, one that is simply a story and the other that has a higher, or deeper, value!

Lilith - the First Eve: A Psychological Approach to Dark Aspects of the Feminine: The First Eve - Historical and Psychological Aspects of the Dark Feminine
by Siegmund Hurwitz

4.0 out of 5 stars A well documented historical account, 24 Sep 2009
This is made up of two parts, one that deals with the history of Lilith, and one that focuses on the psychological implications for today. I found the historical part to be very interesting and very objective, and it contains a lot of details. The author takes us through probably every mention of Lilith in every culture. The other part, though, is more about men than women. And even the account of the role of Lilith in the psyche of men, which I still did find interesting, is a little too short and not conclusive enough. Also, as a woman, I would have liked to read more about what this whole thing means to women! In any case, the first part is detailed and objective enough to allow us to try our own interpretation. I would say that it is useful to have an objective look at what actually is available historically and culturally.

Mamouna
Mamouna

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond music, 17 Aug 2009
This review is from: Mamouna (Audio CD)
This is something really special. Another review says :"No hit singles". Yes, it's true. This album is not about hit singles. What you will find here, if you are interested, is a glimpse into a state of mind, into a mood. You will be taken over by emotions that are subtle and all will happen almost unnoticeably. I think it captures what happens in the back of one's mind (Bryan's mind? I suppose. Mine? I am sure!) while going about the usual business of the day. It's something that only surfaces at night, when you're in bed about to fall asleep or maybe holding your loved one (if you have one!). It's the discourse of one's heart, if you wish. I love it. It reminds me of that part of me that I should listen to more often than I do. Some of the songs you can't even distinguish from your own state of mind, but that state of mind was induced upon you by the songs themselves, while you weren't aware of it! It's magical! Coming home from a busy day in the city and listening to this: priceless!

Page: 1 | 2