Profile for Bloodnock > Reviews

Content by Bloodnock

Bloodnock

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Lark Ascending( Tasmin Little, BBC Philharmonic, Andrew Davis)] [Chandos: CHAN 10796]
Price: 14.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 16 May 2014
I am a fool for The Lark Ascending.
This recording, one of many I have sampled over the years, stands apart from those considered to be the very best.
The production is flawless and faultless - all credit to Chandos for such an amazing production.
The production would have been meaningless, of course, if it weren't for the stunning performance of Tasmin Little.
A performance that is, in my view, one of the most perfect interpretations on Vaughan-Williams much loved romance
for violin and orchestra.
If you must download, find a site to download FLAC.

In the Land of Grey and Pink
In the Land of Grey and Pink
Price: 6.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Loony tunes......, 6 Jan 2014
I bought this album in 1973 and played it to death. I loved its quirkiness, its eccentricities.
Who couldn't fall in love with these lyrics (which, even after some forty years, never fail to
materialise in my head from time to time): "Standing on a golf course/dressed in PVC/I
chanced upon a golf girl/selling cups of tea/she asked me would I like one/asked me with
a grin/for threepence you could buy one/full right to the brim...."
Nostalgia aint what it used to be!
This album is bonkers.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 1:12 AM BST

Friedlander
Friedlander
by Lee Friedlander
Price: 27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only capture my words on film...., 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Friedlander (Paperback)
....they would tell a better story than this review.
I list just four photographers as mentors. Friedlander is one I would hope I could aspire to.
Words are not enough to describe this vast collection of photos.
If you don't know much of Friedlander's work, this tome is sufficient for your education.
If you know some of Friedlander's work but you don't have anything in your library, then this book
will surely suffice.

Groucho and Me: The Autobiography
Groucho and Me: The Autobiography
by Groucho Marx
Price: 6.29

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll say he did...., 6 Jan 2014
Let me say from the outset that I've been a fan and admirer of the great man since I was knee high.
I've read and re-read hundreds of times his collection of letter. I watch over and over recordings
that can now be found on 'you tube' and which showcase Groucho in his prime from the 1950s
through to classic interviews from the 1970s.
The world is darker place without his presence.
I hated this book! And I wish I hadn't read it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 22, 2014 9:27 PM BST

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT UTTER RUBBISH....., 6 Jan 2014
Steve Coogan joins a cast of hundreds who have brought much-loved British TV comedy to big screen,
and failed miserably: On The Buses - Dads Army - The Likely Lads - Steptoe & Son - Porridge -
awful muck, to name just a few....and the list goes unmercifully on and on.

'Alpha Papa' is a bland comedy made for the 21st Century, but steeped in the usual bland collection
of faux pas, double entendres, mirth and titillation that once bore down us through the telly and
eventually onto the big screen in the 20th. The film creaks and groans as it meanders down the
memory lane of the 'Carry On' films and all that sailed before and after at Pinewood.

Here is Hattie Jacques as the Acting Deputy Police Commissioner; Bernard Breslaw as the tough
detective; Sid James as the tough Swattie; Kenneth Williams as Alan Partridge, our unlikely hero:
"INFAMY, INFAMY - THEY'VE ALL GOT IT IN FER ME"
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2014 5:00 PM GMT

Ted: Extended Edition [DVD]
Ted: Extended Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Offered by Venture Online
Price: 4.45

1.0 out of 5 stars STUFFED...., 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Ted: Extended Edition [DVD] (DVD)
My cat bit me a few hours before I watched this film.

I mention this because half-way through the excruciating
90 or so minutes, I had convinced myself that I had a
dose of tetanus coursing through my body. It was the
only explanation for the sudden appearance of lock-jaw.

Truth be told, my mouth was wide open as a result of
absolute amazement that someone had bothered to make
a film that was so puerile, so vulgar, so immature,
so vacuous, so unfunny, so tedious, so revolting, so
vainglorious in its homage to 'adult' humour, so
insulting, so....arrgh, CRAP!

I once was a fan of McFarlane. Now, I only hear smut.

Tetanus would have been a better option than having
to endure more than 15 minutes in the company of this
rubbish.

The Cabin In The Woods [DVD]
The Cabin In The Woods [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: 5.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Piffle...., 28 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Cabin In The Woods [DVD] (DVD)
A reviewer on these pages asks if those who gave this film
one star actually watched the same film as him/her. Such was
his/her incredulity, one supposes, that others may not have the
same sort of feelings toward this piece of dross as he/she
does.
So, in the spirit of mutual recognition - I promise, Cabin in
the Woods was definitely one and the same as per all the reviews
here - I give this effort from the Whedon stable two stars.
One star for Anna Hutchison's bum and one star for something
else.

England Observed: John Gay (1909-1999)
England Observed: John Gay (1909-1999)
by Andrew Sargent
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well observed..., 17 Jun 2012
This book sits very proudly alongside those of Atget, Steiglitz, Erwitt
and Friedlander.
This is a most wonderful collection of images from an England lost
forever and those from a more contemporary landscape.
In both, Gay had an astute and keen eye.
The images from Highgate Cemetery are worth the cost of this book alone.
Buy it, it won't disappoint.

Don't Stop Singing
Don't Stop Singing
Price: 8.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Rock and a hard place sort of review...., 22 May 2012
This review is from: Don't Stop Singing (Audio CD)
This is very tricky review to write. I concur with many fellow reviewers, especially of those in the 5 star bracket, but lean very much to the 1 star reviewers.
Hence my middle of the road rating.
I like the album very much, save for the grating stanza to the opening track, and there is no doubting the beauty of almost all the songs.
However....the album doesn't quite sit comfortably with me and I am not sure exactly why, for Gilmore has executed well a very sensitive and, some would say, brave project which balances precariously on the edge of the macabre.
I re-visit Sandy's music so often in my life and have done so for over 45 years; it is the freshness of her music, I think, rather than the nostalgia for her works, that drives my passion.
Where Gilmore's collaborative effort sits, therefore, is still a bit of a mystery to me. I understand the concept, appreciate the product but not convinced of its merits.
Maybe I need another 45 years.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2012 5:46 AM BST

Sandy Denny: Reflections on Her Music
Sandy Denny: Reflections on Her Music
by Philip Ward
Price: 8.08

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I hadn't......, 20 May 2012
It pains me to have to re-write one of my own reviews. But I had word, directly, from the author of this
book that my initial review was "patronising" and "misguided."
I don't recant very easily, but I did have a measure of disquiet as to one of my charges and, so, felt it
incumbent on me to retract the whole thing.
Far be it for me to take issue with an author who wishes to engage in a private discourse; I just won't take
any further part.
Save for this: Mr Ward's book is beautifully written and offers fresh and engaging insight into Sandy Denny's
music. I do, however, find it uncomfortable to read the details of anyone's private life, whether with the
approval of the living, or in memory of those having since passed. That's just me.
Perhaps I should have left Sandy's music continue to speak to me, as it has done for over 45 years, rather
than try and exercise any curiosity as to the provenance of any song in particular.
I should have left well alone.
Mr Ward asserts, in his blog, that Thea Gilmore's cd "Don't stop Singing" is "ethically dubious." I am not
sure as to the "ethics" Mr Ward refers (songwriting? recording? artistic?), but I do find it an extraordinary
and extreme charge to lay on any artist. And that would include writers.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2012 11:46 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8